Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 cts
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my head lights are chipping away bad and i cant stop it. i have tried to get them replaced under warranty but every cadillac dealership i have called wont do it. so i m taking it to a shop who does great work on cars and have them paint the eye lids on to the lights. then seal it off so hopfully the chipping wont spread. i have nothing to lose. if i wait it will get ten times worse. let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
Mine chipped also, looked more like severe scratches on top and near the headlight washers. Replaced under warranty and the service manager had to call some caddie rep for approval. Keep trying, those lights are very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2003 cts
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has anyone tryed or heard of this being done before? they are past the point of crap and i cant get new ones through warranty, it is out.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I miss my 69 Caddy with $5 headlights, $19 shocks, $15 ignition module, $45 coil. But then, again, what else will I do with my money!!

Never saw a hearse with a luggage rack on the back.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
my head lights are chipping away bad and i cant stop it. i have tried to get them replaced under warranty but every cadillac dealership i have called wont do it. so i m taking it to a shop who does great work on cars and have them paint the eye lids on to the lights. then seal it off so hopfully the chipping wont spread. i have nothing to lose. if i wait it will get ten times worse. let me know what you guys think.
Just to be clear...you don't mean peeling right? The CTS headlights housings occasionally have a peeling problem due to the thin protective film on the lens.

What are you planning on painting? The clear outside plastic, or the grey inside plastic?

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
:postpics:

Seriously, I am having trouble trying to picture in my mind what you are trying to describe. A picture really would help.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2003 cts
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going to paint the clear outside plastic. im going tom paint eyelids on to the outside plastic, then hopefully seal it off so the peeling stops.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
im going to paint the clear outside plastic. im going tom paint eyelids on to the outside plastic, then hopefully seal it off so the peeling stops.
We've had several members have this problem. Usually '03s. They can be sanded with very fine wet/dry paper and clearcoated or as you suggest, the eyelids. Personally I would go with the eyelids:thumbsup:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had this problem. I had my buddy ( who is a body guy ) take them out. He took a sander to it and went pretty deep, then slowly went with finer grit and finished them off with a plastic polish....my lights looked brand new after that. I'll try and scrounge up some before and after pic's but I think they where lost in my server crash.

·
Registered
Cadillac cts
27 Posts
cadillac of whittier replaced mine, actually offered to replace mine when i went in for an oil change. service manager and i were talking and im like "what do you guys use to clean the small surface scratches on the lenses" and he says " lets see here" looks at it, "oh the tops? (scratches) we just replace them that a defect in the material. you want to leave it ill order them and call you when done." me " ok sounds good" him " this way to your rental car" and mine wernt that bad. i have seen a lot worse you couldnt see mine till you were an arms distance away.

·
Registered
2003 cts
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikesharon....what kind of plastic polish did he use? could i do this my self? im still wanting to do the eye lids though. im goign for the look off the tim allen cts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Im not sure what he used but you can do a couple of things your self the way i look at it. I attempted this myself I think I got like 1600grit sand paper then I went to aluminum polish then plastic polish ( all mothers brand ) It took a LONG time but It made a noticable difference.

I had hiim paint my bumpers so while they where off he took my lights off and like I said took a sander and scuffed the crap out of them....and he went real deep then he just kept on going with a finer and finer grit of sand paper finally to the plastic polish.....I dont think I would suggest doing it this way as he is a profesional and has done this a few times so he wasnt scared. Give the way I did it a shot it wont look perfect but you will make a big difference.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
39 Posts
i would like to custom make my headlights on the cts with a few amber leds on the sides, like the new 5-series have... god knows ill never have enough time for that though! =(

·
Registered
2003 cts
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well.....the caddy went in to the shop, and will be done by monday afternoon(27th) i will post pics to show the end result. im going to paint the eye lids and just clearcoat the whole danm lens so it hopefully wont peal anymore. we will see what happens

·
Registered
O.G. CTS Sport/Lux, V Grilles/Bumpers, sittin on 20's
273 Posts
My lenses are scratched to shit...especially on the top...pisses me off...how much does it cost to replace exactly? Can't you replace the lens without changing the actual light?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts