Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a CTS-V to replace my M3 as a daily driver. The M3 is getting old and is in desperate need of a track car makeover, it is done with daily driver duty.

I did the V-Series challenge out here in 06' and had a blast driving around all of the V Series. I have been in love with the V-Series ever since I first saw one at the 05' Auto Show in L.A. The car had a vette motor, huge brakes, and looked classy. Working up in the business world my M3 with track coilovers and aging interior is getting to not be what I need in a daily driver.

I wanted to stick with something that had power, balance, and beauty. For the last few months, I could not think of anything I wanted to jump into until recently when I stumbled across my V Series plaque. I couldn't believe the great car that I fell in love with years ago has been slipping my mind in this search.

Now I am determined to find a nice low mileage CTS-V in either white or silver. I do not have a whole lot of mechanical knowledge on what to look for, what to look out for, and what years are best to buy. I really do not like the look of the new CTS-V's, but this previous generation is amazing to me. I need some tips on what to look out for. Mod's planned for this are suspension, wheels, exhaust mods. I am not looking to do a whole lot, just make a nice daily driver with some class and power that I can go visit my clients in and feel comfortable.

I almost choked on air when I searched auto trader and saw the prices between 18-30k for used CTS-V's, which to me is really low for such a great car. I need some tips on what year would be the best, and what to look out for.

Thanks!

Here is the M3:

·
Registered
ATS Turbo Manual
126 Posts
I personally have a 2005 which has the LS6 if you can find a 2006 and above it has a LS2 which is a 6lt engine vs. the LS6 5.7. No offense to the people who own the 04 but it has recalls if you can stay away from that year I recommend checking out cadillacfaq.com it has a lot of helpful information it talks about the differences in years, upgrades, etc. Also one thing I recommend is trying to find a one that hasn’t been bought from auction and for the car not to be from a lease.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
I was gonna ask where are you, but I now see the California plates.

First off, they didn't make white Vs in '04-'07, so that limits you to platinum. Unless you enlist the help of another forum member here to negate, as you say, you're limited mechanical knowledge, I'd say get one from a old man like me with lowest miles and fewest mods you can. Hopefully, that equates to the best condition possible. Other than that, just make sure the differential doesn't whine and the rest is normal car stuff (e.g. leaks, clunks, white smoke out the exhaust, crunched fenders, doobie burns in the seats ... you know, the usual).

Good luck!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

First off, they didn't make white Vs in '04-'07, so that limits you to platinum. Unless you enlist the help of another forum member here to negate, as you say, you're limited mechanical knowledge, I'd say get one from a old man like me with lowest miles and fewest mods you can. Hopefully, that equates to the best condition possible. Other than that, just make sure the differential doesn't whine and the rest is normal car stuff (e.g. leaks, clunks, white smoke out the exhaust, crunched fenders, doobie burns in the seats ... you know, the usual).

Good luck!
I personally have some decent mechanical knowledge, but I have not done alot of research on things that typically go wrong with V1's at certain miles. I have some very good mechanic connections throughout the county, and a client of mine is a decent sized wholesale car dealer, I might however buy from a private dealer or party because buying auction cars can be a roll of the dice at times. I will probably take the car to get inspected and let the mechanic know a few "specifics" on what to look for.

Thanks for the info on white too, I wasn't aware. I will probably opt for the Silver.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally have a 2005 which has the LS6 if you can find a 2006 and above it has a LS2 which is a 6lt engine vs. the LS6 5.7. No offense to the people who own the 04 but it has recalls if you can stay away from that year I recommend checking out cadillacfaq.com it has a lot of helpful information it talks about the differences in years, upgrades, etc. Also one thing I recommend is trying to find a one that hasn’t been bought from auction and for the car not to be from a lease.
Thank you, I will take a peak in there, good info on the years.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts

Good luck!
So you are saying that he should get it from someone that a: is old and mods the hell out of their car or b: all of the above but posts videos of himself doing burnouts?:shhh:

Alot of other new people have asked similar questions. You can try to scroll down throught he pages or search the forum. You may just find the answer you are looking for.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
So you are saying that he should get it from someone that a: is old and mods the hell out of their car or b: all of the above but posts videos of himself doing burnouts?:shhh: ....
Never EVER get a car from someone like me! :thepan:

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
YEah but you do all or just about all of the stuff yourself, and I'm sure your v hicle is immaculate.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Am I the only one wondering what the hell is going on with the car in the background of the last picture?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
I just got a silver 05 in April with 23K miles for $25,000, still under warranty, and certified by Cadillac. I think that's the way to go. This was owned by a lady who never drove it in the winter (I'm afraid I'll have to -- it's my only car!!) and traded in on a new model. I guess she wanted 569 HP instead of 400. I really love this car. I got one of the very first Mazda RX-8's in July of 2003 and I was ready for something a little bigger. A 3-series BMW was going to be a little small -- I think you'll be very happy with the size of this. Keep checking the Cadillac dealers around the country online. Keep us posted, and good luck!

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Am I the only one wondering what the hell is going on with the car in the background of the last picture?
No, I was wondering the same thing.

Hopefully it's vinyl and not paint.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I was wondering the same thing.

Hopefully it's vinyl and not paint.
It is Vinyl, that was from Gumball, all of the cars had some wild vinyl designs on them, thankfully they were all just vinyl.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
lol I like the taxi Z06

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Thanks for the pics GT. Hopefully that will be my next ride. Not any time soon, but one of these days lol

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts

Good luck!
My track V will be white...

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll tell you what you can look forward too........torque. It's like crack.
Yes, I have driven these cars around the race track and it was great. I did the V-Series challenge at el toro, we had the XLR-V, STS-V, and CTS-V and the CTS-V 6 speed is by far the best in my book.

I was able to take the CTS-V out onto the road course for some laps and it was a lot of fun. It is a beautiful road car.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I think the blonde is silly cone not vynil.

As fas as the CTS V, anyone who wants to own this car must know it has it quirks. Once you get around that, the car is a beast.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the pics GT. Hopefully that will be my next ride. Not any time soon, but one of these days lol
If you like Z06's look at this one, its one of my clients cars. Custom re-done interior, he made the cars inside look the way it should from the factory. The car looks and feels like a true exotic inside and out.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts