Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Would you buy a large SUV?

• Yes! I'm rich....

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • NO! Can't afford the gas for a pig like this!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Don't know, I'll have to see them in person...

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I'd rather just drive a car instead....

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz has done his work well, and his influence is clearly visible on these SUVs. Some of the new models even have six-speed automatic transmissions replacing the old fuel-wasting four-speeds. Two of the engines come with cylinder cutoffs, so the V-8s run on four cylinders when cruising at highway speeds. The third engine, the larger 6.2-liter, gets the cutoff feature by fall of next year.

Thanks to these new power trains, the highway mileage on the Tahoe and Yukon rises to 26-27 miles per gallon, and that's for both two- and four-wheel-drive versions. The city mileage reduces the combined average fuel economy, but it still exceeds 20 miles per gallon. This is very good for such big vehicles and better than similar-sized models from Ford

The large SUV market and the luxury SUV market have run a million vehicles the past few years. This year sales are down 9% from last year. The decline would be at least half as large again but for the employee discount sale and those bargain prices, which pushed up sales the past few months.

The market for big SUVs may be shrinking, but so far this year GM has held up a bit better than most competitors have. Sales of the Expedition, Ford's largest SUV--the even larger Excursion recently ceased production--are down 20% so far this year; the Toyoda Sequoia is down 15%, and the Dodge Dakota is off 13%. In contrast, while the Chevrolet Suburban is down 16%, the Chevy Tahoe is off just 9%.

In the boom days, GM made an estimated $5,000 to $15,000 on these big trucks. One thing I'm sure about is that the profit won't be as large from these vehicles as they have been in the past."

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/columnists/2005/09/26/GM-SUVs-dinosaurs-cz_jf_0926flint.html

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If I'm gonna drive an SUV, I'd rather have a real truck. If I'm gonna be hauling around a bunch of people, I'd rather have a Seville or something big and comfy that doesn't try to act like a truck. I dunno, I'm not fond of SUV's, probably just because they're popular and I like what isn't.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Thats hilarious. My dad got a Honda CR-V last year because it had better gas mileage than those "fuel wasting American SUVs":p. Now he can eat his words since the V8 Tahoe gets as good of mileage because of DoD...:p

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ben72227 said:
Thats hilarious. My dad got a Honda CR-V last year because it had better gas mileage than those "fuel wasting American SUVs":p. Now he can eat his words since the V8 Tahoe gets as good of mileage because of DoD...:p
So do you think your Dad would have considered a full-size GM if he knew the gas mileage would be this good? Is he a GM man, or more a Honda man?

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
lol, all the SUV's they mention.... then they say the Dakota.... ummm... psst, it's not an SUV :)

It depends if I would buy an SUV.... there are 2 types, REAL SUV's and then wannabe SUV.

A real SUV is a Bronco, or a K5 Blazer :D, a wannabee SUV is a Toyota Highlander/Chevy Equinox etc.... a joke is a CR-V/RAV4

I drove my fathers '88 Bronco for a bit today, the one i helped him rebuild the 302 in. Even though the body has the normal rust, and the whole nose is from a '90, and difference color (the frame/underbody is solid... unlike his '85 Bronco that is all rusted out.... bodywork will be done on the '88) I really liked driving the truck. Then again, the Bronco is just an F-150 with a back seat and fiberglass cap, but that is the truck I like, it is a real truck.... very nice.

Even the 90's Tahoe's were nice, basically a Silverado, they still had the nice chrome bumpers and stuff.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Im moving out of the SUV camp next year when i seel my Escalade. I will keep a Range Rover in my garage for the near future because it is capable of what i need, i only use it if im going to go offroad.

Otherwise i keep my cars, the ESV is a showpiece, i love it, but i never use it, my uncle intends to stretch it and use it in his limo company...

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Night Wolf said:
lol, all the SUV's they mention.... then they say the Dakota.... ummm... psst, it's not an SUV :)
I thought that many SUV's were based on truck chassis? Also, I have heard many Escalade drivers in our forum refer to their SUV's as "trucks." It also looks like they were comparing the Dakota for the percentage in decline of sales, for comparison sake of other large vehicles.

Whick models would you consider to be the "wannabe" SUV's?

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Ralph said:
I thought that many SUV's were based on truck chassis? Also, I have heard many Escalade drivers in our forum refer to their SUV's as "trucks." It also looks like they were comparing the Dakota for the percentage in decline of sales, for comparison sake of other large vehicles.

Whick models would you consider to be the "wannabe" SUV's?
REAL SUV's are built on truck chassis, like the Bronco (any year) K5 Blazer, 90's Tahoe etc....

The Escalade is nothing more then a rebadged Tahoe, which rides the Silverado chassis.

weather declining sales or not, the Dakota is NOT an SUV, it is a light pickup truck, just like the S10....err... Colorado, Ranger, Tacoma etc... the artical is about *SUV* and they are talking about the decline in sales... then they mention the Dakota? That would be like someone having a comparison of *luxury roadsters* then throwing in the CTS-V.... it just dosn't fit.

I mentioned what I consider a wannabe SUV, basically anything that if you take off road, tow heavy stuff with and do other stuf the majority of SUV drivers do *not* do.... is a wannabe SUV.

things that fall into that category are the Honda Pilot, Honda Ridgeline (wannabe pickup), Chevy Equinox, Toyota Highlander and other junk like that.

like I said, that isn't counting the real POS like the Rav4 and CR-V etc...

Even the new '07 Tahoe's look to be wimpy now, no chrome bumpers, low to the ground etc...

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
They are all better than the generation they replaced. I still think GM should've put some of the massive amounts of money into their cars though and just refreshed the big SUVs rather than a complete redesign. They'll be fairly successful though, althought the SUV market is bound to keep shrinking, these are the best on the market right now.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I REALLY liked the Equinox, but two things drove me away. 1) not luxurious enough, 2) that Korean V6 scared me a little. I couldn't see it being dependable for over 60,000 miles. Resale value didn't look very good either. I'm hoping GM will beef that baby up a little and make it a little more cushy. Maybe the Pontiac version will get there in a few years.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I wouldn't buy one. I did the SUV thing and traded it in for a minivan. Other than 4WD, a minivan does everything the "SUV" did only better. If I wanted a truck, I'd buy a pickup. I prefer to have a vechicle that does a particular thing well than a compromised vehicle that does lots of things not-so-well. SUVs and now 'crossover vehicles', IMO, are compromises for people that can't come to grips with the fact that they really need a station wagon or minivan.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
My current daily driver is one of the dinosaurs. I've been saying for some time that GM should be the leader with the displacement on demand function in their SUVs. I think its a great idea to save gas and make these large SUVs more economical for everyone. I don't think this will hurt the used car market for the gas guzzler SUVs though. There are lots of people who could not afford to drive an Escalade if they did not buy it used. JMHO

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I've read that MPG fiogure on these new trucks and was impressed.....but I didn;t know it was accomplished via cylinder deactivation.
I wonder what the performance and reliability penalities are.
I mean its gonna be a sub 3 liter 4 cylinder engine ont he highway pushing all that air and pulling all that weight.

Although I'm not looking for a behemoth like this, I think it looks pretty good and the technology is 'about time' for mainstream use. Hence I voted, 'gotta see in person'.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of GM SUV's with the exception of the Suburban and Escalade. I would rather have a truck insted of an SUV. Most likely it would be a new Ford F-150 (I love the 2004 re-design), or possibly an Escalade EXT. But a Hummer is on my wish list!

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
So do you think your Dad would have considered a full-size GM if he knew the gas mileage would be this good? Is he a GM man, or more a Honda man?
Probably not. He's a Honda man, and I think that even if GM ever got ahead of Honda, he'd still go with Honda because their reputation, as he puts it, "they are known for their reliability."

He makes fun of me for wanting GM because he'll say stuff like, "How bout that Chevy Lumina there, or that Cavalier? You really want one of THOSE?" because he knows that some GM cars well...could have been much better.

And i understand that, BUT he refuses to even look at any new GMs. I showed him a picture of the Solstice and he was like "Oh, thats nice. If only GM could build their REAL cars like that (meaning budget coupes/sedans). And even if they are nice looking he says, "They won't ever be as reliable as my Honda." And maybe he's right...:(

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Little Rock. I'm a Central High TIGER! ROAR! Back to back AAAAA state champs!

Too bad our team sucks this year though....

Rolex is from Arkansas too, I think up in north part of the state.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
33 grand huh?

Didn't even know that was out there.....pretty cool.

BTW Sandy, your link doesn;t work.

Highlights:

* Corvette-based 6.0 Liter LS2 small block V8
* Cold Air Induction Package
* SS-specific ZQ8 Sport Suspension
* 20-inch polished-aluminum wheels (1)
* Heavy-duty front disc brakes with Corvette-spec front brake pads and ABS
* Available full-time all-wheel drive with a TORSEN® center differential
* Available in both LS and LT trim levels

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies