Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed ad naseum on this forum in the past, but I have a question. I have two GM vehicles (one an '06 Caddy DTS, the second on '07 Pontiac) both still under factory warranty, both with 26-30 k miles. Caddy warranty goes to 50K and the Pontiac warranty to 36K (which is soon)

Can anyone explain to me why I would want to get the GMPP extended warranty now (versus near the end of the factory warranty) and have overlapping warranties?

I am close on the Pontiac mileage, but the Caddy has a ways to go. The GMPP reps who I speak with on the phone tell me that GM will not cover "wear and tear" items like worn out driver side window motors even if they fail during the warranty period "IF" the dealer service department declares that the failure is due to normal "wear and tear". I have never heard of such nonsense, and therefore can't justify in my mind getting the GMPP warranty anytime any sooner than right before the factory warranty expires.

I realize that the price will be higher if I wait, but I will also get more mileage and months of coverage this way. My service writer who was also a master tech and is acting assistant service manager at the Caddy dealer tells me to wait. Any help out there? :hmm:

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I would wait...in fact I "DID" wait. :) :)

Mine had 49,500 on it when I got the GMPP.
Warranty now goes to 104,500. :cool2:

I didn't see any point in having (and paying for) overlapping warrantys.

The GM FACTORY WARRANTY will cover ANYTHING except brakes and rotors that actually WEAR OUT. At least my dealer does.

Window motors would be covered FOR SURE.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally agree Jim. I cited brakes and tires as the only things that I could think of that would fall under normal "wear and tear". The GMPP rep on the phone quite confidently stated that there were other things that could wear out that would not be considered "warranty repair" and I challenged him to give me an example. Window motor was the first one, then any "buttons" that wear out from regular use. I got pretty "put off" at that point and told him that I had never had that experience with any GM vehicle in 20 years under warranty. I have to say that GMAC does a pretty shady job the way they market this warranty in my humble opinion.

Do the dealers treat this warranty with the due respect we would hope for when visiting a dealer service department? Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Totally agree Jim. I cited brakes and tires as the only things that I could think of that would fall under normal "wear and tear". The GMPP rep on the phone quite confidently stated that there were other things that could wear out that would not be considered "warranty repair" and I challenged him to give me an example. Window motor was the first one, then any "buttons" that wear out from regular use. I got pretty "put off" at that point and told him that I had never had that experience with any GM vehicle in 20 years under warranty. I have to say that GMAC does a pretty shady job the way they market this warranty in my humble opinion.

Do the dealers treat this warranty with the due respect we would hope for when visiting a dealer service department? Thanks.

Whoever you were talking to...was just trying to sell you a warranty.
He was not being truthful and he knew it.

They replaced my WHOLE NAV UNIT because the face plate was wearing a little bit by the volume knob where my fingers had rubbed it. That would be considered wear and tear.

They replaced the black plastic piece that fastens to the bottom of the radiator and goes back under the front of the engine because I told them the holes where the little pushpins are that hold it, were wearing and I didn't want it coming loose when I was going down the freeway.

I shopped several places online and found my best price...then called my local dealer and they matched the online price without any quibbles or haggling what so ever.

Went over there...the lady in the finance office already had it all filled out.
Gave her my credit card...signed the papers and was out of there in less then 10 minutes.

Nope...I wasn't out that quick...now "I" am lying.
They had me wait a few minutes while they took the car back to service...changed the oil...washed it and did the chrome wheels and brought it back to me. ALL FOR FREE.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Let me clarify my above post...

All of that was replaced while still under the factory warranty.
I was just point out examples of WEAR AND TEAR that the FACTORY WARRANTY covered.

No matter WHAT your GMPP rep told you. :) :) :) :)

EDIT:..my dealer is Frank Kent Cadillac in Fort Worth TX.
Just in case you wanted to compare online prices to their price.
They have always dealt fairly with me...for the last 20 years.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Switches and buttons are covered no matter what that jerk told you. Wear and tear, I believe, refers to complaints like:

engine burning oil
humming transmission
humming rear end
noisy power steering pump
noisy a/c compressor

Even there, the dealership has discretion. With the state of the economy the way it is, many manufacturers are being less lenient on repair of noisy items. I can understand that.

GMPP is a great warranty, in my opinion.

Many warranties will require that the item has physical breakage, not just noisy symptoms.

If I were you, I would search for a different dealer. Find a service mgr with a lot of gray hair. I am serious.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dealer is okay. They recommend that I wait till the factory warranty is just about expired.

It is the bozos on the phone at GMPP who try to put one over on me. For some reason, I expected a little more candor from them since I own two relatively new GM vehicles, but got outright B.S. in two different phone conversations with them. I worked at a GM dealership not so many years ago. I was simply amazed by GMPP reps at the level of bulls&%$ they were dishing out over the phone, and with bravado and great confidence. Sheesh :canttalk:

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
This may not be related, but my salesman said the CPO warranty was recently changed to exclude wear items. He said the memo specifically cited faded letters on radios as no longer being covered.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Dealer is okay. They recommend that I wait till the factory warranty is just about expired.

It is the bozos on the phone at GMPP who try to put one over on me. For some reason, I expected a little more candor from them since I own two relatively new GM vehicles, but got outright B.S. in two different phone conversations with them. I worked at a GM dealership not so many years ago. I was simply amazed by GMPP reps at the level of bulls&%$ they were dishing out over the phone, and with bravado and great confidence. Sheesh :canttalk:

Since you like your dealer...ask them...(in the finance office)... if they will match or maybe even beat the online price of the GMPP.

Thats what I did.
Bought the GMPP from my local dealer.

Figured that it "MAY" (or may not), give me a slight edge if or when I need something done to the car under the GMPP, since some of the decisions may be at the dealers discretion.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jim-

That is a good idea. I foolishly have been assuming that the GMPP warranty would be a fairly straightforward transaction handled directly with GMPP.

The last time I purchased a warranty of any kind was in 1990 when I was able to extend the factory warranty through GM on a 1988 Olds 98 from 36K to 50K for a mere $50, or was it $100, and it was done right through the mail.

Lucky for me I actually worked for a sales manager in a Buick dealership 7 years ago who is now the General Sales Manager for the Caddy dealer. And it gets better. The President of that Buick dealership (where I worked) also works with that same GSM at the caddy dealer. So I know both these guys and expect that they can "hook me up" (as they say), via their finance guys on the warranty.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Okay because I'm new to the warranty world and have never had one on any of my vehicles since I can't afford to buy new like some of you guys. My question is how does this warranty stack up to the competition and what will it cover?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Jim-

That is a good idea. I foolishly have been assuming that the GMPP warranty would be a fairly straightforward transaction handled directly with GMPP.

The last time I purchased a warranty of any kind was in 1990 when I was able to extend the factory warranty through GM on a 1988 Olds 98 from 36K to 50K for a mere $50, or was it $100, and it was done right through the mail.

Lucky for me I actually worked for a sales manager in a Buick dealership 7 years ago who is now the General Sales Manager for the Caddy dealer. And it gets better. The President of that Buick dealership (where I worked) also works with that same GSM at the caddy dealer. So I know both these guys and expect that they can "hook me up" (as they say), via their finance guys on the warranty.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Man...sounds like you have it nailed.
Wish I "KNEW" someone. :cool2: :cool2:

Be sure to check online prices...just to be sure of what it "SHOULD" cost.

Texas Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts