Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I agree, Kev. . . never know for sure, as an outsider might be able to bring the company back to preeminence, but without a background in the particulars of the automotive industry, I am suspicious.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
But what does he know about the auto industry? Get an ex-CEO of Toyota, BMW, etc... AT&T? Not the same industry at all. This guy is just another bean counter!
Hopefully the accomplished former Chrmn-CEO of AT&T Inc. Edward Whitacre knows how to manage and finance a successful enterprise, period - not unlike Ford Motor Co's highly-regarded Pres-CEO Alan Mulally who came from Boeing Corp with no prior auto industry experience. Both GM and Ford already had/have plenty of auto industry veterans within their executive ranks.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Perhaps a fresh perspective from someone outside the industry will have a different approach to solving their financial problems. The automotive side seems to be headed in the right direction, i.e. CTS,V,Wagon,coupe,SRX, Camaro,Volt,etc. With fewer brands perhaps more effort will be put into new development in their narrower product line.

·
Registered
1988 Cadillac Sedandeville
163 Posts
Perhaps a fresh perspective from someone outside the industry will have a different approach to solving their financial problems. The automotive side seems to be headed in the right direction, i.e. CTS,V,Wagon,coupe,SRX, Camaro,Volt,etc. With fewer brands perhaps more effort will be put into new development in their narrower product line.
I heard that the CTS Coupe will be in the Fall!

The Camaro is great except for the interior and dashboard. I was going to buy it until I say the insides and could not believe someone would put an interior of that quality for people who usually buy $40K and above cars - that is the boomers. Most who sat in it; were in shock!

The next version should be the XL or something like that for extra luxury version. Should take a look at the BMW interior series 6 and just copy it and charge an additional $15k more!

They would be so much M.A.P. on this version it would boost it up another $10K! To around $65-$70K!

Boomers want to re-live their childhood!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
GM surely puts out some neat and reliable models (CTS, Buicks, etc). Ford is really struggling with trannies on many of their models. Engine in their trucks are having problems. I have lost all faith in Ford. GM continues with great quality in their (more expensive) models. Not sure about the entry level vehicles.

Lets hope that we all survive these days.

·
Registered
05 V6 SRX4 - All options minus UV+; 08 DI CTS4 minus UV,Wood
377 Posts
"GM surely puts out some neat and reliable models (CTS, Buicks, etc). Ford is really struggling with trannies on many of their models. Engine in their trucks are having problems. I have lost all faith in Ford. GM continues with great quality in their (more expensive) models. Not sure about the entry level vehicles."

Thats the problem...we compare ourselves to domestic brands...after taking a spin in your CTS, sit behind a 3 series, 5 series, a6, a4, notice the difference? better fit, finish, build quality? the drivelines are concrete...unlike american cars...

·
Registered
09 CTS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"GM surely puts out some neat and reliable models (CTS, Buicks, etc). Ford is really struggling with trannies on many of their models. Engine in their trucks are having problems. I have lost all faith in Ford. GM continues with great quality in their (more expensive) models. Not sure about the entry level vehicles."

Thats the problem...we compare ourselves to domestic brands...after taking a spin in your CTS, sit behind a 3 series, 5 series, a6, a4, notice the difference? better fit, finish, build quality? the drivelines are concrete...unlike american cars...
I agree with you on the fit & finish of the CTS but only on the exterior. The exterior is better than the autos you mentioned above. The CTS interior needs some attention, there is some fit & finish issues there. I still love my CTS.

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
656 Posts
I am still concerned that management at GM still doesn't get it. It is fine to put out a CTS with beaucoup horsepower but there are plenty of folks like myself who currently have a larger DHS and would like to downsize. However, if am going to a smaller car I at least want to see some improvement in fuel mileage over my 2002 Northstar. I have heard that GM will be offering a more reasonable HP CTS in 2010. Somewhere around 250hp. I hope so as I am waiting. [also waiting as I have read too many posts about the shimmy problem].
Another indication, albeit it a small one, that GM at times does not get it is what a friend of mine negotiated into his purchase of a new Chevy Malibu recently. Very nice car but he had them paint over the GOLD chevy emblems with silver. It looks much better. We are both collecting SS but it does not take much research to know that the younger generation has left gold trim behind a couple years ago.

·
Registered
163 Posts

I think very few Cadillac buyers would do such a thing. They may look at Lexus. From what I know of the Cadillac buyers they compare it to Lincoln and maybe Acura.

Very few do German. Now German buyer would test out Cadillac I know before they make a purchase however.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am still concerned that management at GM still doesn't get it. It is fine to put out a CTS with beaucoup horsepower but there are plenty of folks like myself who currently have a larger DHS and would like to downsize. However, if am going to a smaller car I at least want to see some improvement in fuel mileage over my 2002 Northstar. I have heard that GM will be offering a more reasonable HP CTS in 2010. Somewhere around 250hp. I hope so as I am waiting. [also waiting as I have read too many posts about the shimmy problem].
Another indication, albeit it a small one, that GM at times does not get it is what a friend of mine negotiated into his purchase of a new Chevy Malibu recently. Very nice car but he had them paint over the GOLD chevy emblems with silver. It looks much better. We are both collecting SS but it does not take much research to know that the younger generation has left gold trim behind a couple years ago.
Cadillac CTS with direct injection and produces 306 horsepower is equal to the 263 horsepower standard V6 in mileage. I think that unless they incorporate a shut off of value technology in lower price models like the Malibu has you are stuck with a comb of around 22-24mph.

If you want a lot of miles per hour wait for the Conjerv? the Chevrolet Volt technology put into a Cadillac. Suppose to get upper 30s.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What I don't understand is how my 2002 Northstar DHS will get better mileage on a trip than a much smaller and lighter CTS. The only thing that I can come up with is that the V-6 has to turn higher RPMs to go the same speed. Just to qualify my mileage statment above it is with driving that is mostly east coast seaboard flat. I realize lugging that DHS weight up and down hills would change the ball game. Does the CTS have a torque converter lock up? Do they use rear ends that are lower ratios to bump up quarter mile speeds and sacrifice mpg? There has to be a way to get a CTS to offer performance and still have an average mpg around 28. Or not??????

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
In the real wporld, most CTS owners get mileage in the upper 20's. My car achieved 30+ mpg a few times. The EPA ratings were changed (reduced 20% highway) a few years ago to more closely match real life mileage. Due to EPA testing procedures, which don't really test the car by actually driving it, some ratings are more accurate than others. That said, the DTS can do surprisingly well on the highway due to it's lower revs, and the fact that it's not that much heavier, nor much less aerodynamically efficient than the CTS. Further, the DTS was designed to maximize it's highway mileage, as opposed to dynamic responsiveness. The CTS is more of a driver's car, and is less compromised in the name of fuel economy.

I had a 2009 DTS loaner for a few days. In my experience, the DTS was only about 1-2 mpg less efficient on the highway than my CTS, but 2-3 mpg worse in the city, which is a much bigger percentage. The DTS in the city was only a bit more efficient than my new V, which isn't even broken in yet, and is much faster, of course.

·
Registered
656 Posts
"Further, the DTS was designed to maximize it's highway mileage, as opposed to dynamic responsiveness. The CTS is more of a driver's car, and is less compromised in the name of fuel economy."

Personally I beleive that is the type of philosophy that has landed GM in the problems they have today. There is no reason that GM cannot offer the CTS in configurations that combine both of the above. Of course if GM had not let the DTS linger in the styling twiglight zone for more than 10 years they might have also had a sale. My 2002 DHS still compares favorably in styling with 2009 models and gets better mileage so I have no incentive to buy. Very frustrating. Every time i hear GM executives being interviewed on the news I cringe. They sound like they are at a pep rally and seem to have no clue about what the consumer really wants.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
" They sound like they are at a pep rally and seem to have no clue about what the consumer really wants."

And yet they were the largest automobile company in the world. Maybe they did build what the customer wanted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts