Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Ordered!!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to at least get it out there in light of all the complaints about the Escalade and the seemingly positive attitude towards their competitors from some of the forums posters...

Frankly, it bothers me when people on this forum say that for the money this car (The new Escalade) is sometimes not worth it... If this car had a Mercedes or BMW Emblem on it then you would be paying $101,000 PLUS tax for it.... Candidly, some of the BASE features on the Escalade are EXPENSIVE OPTIONS on the GL class from Mercedes. Another thing that gets misstated is that you can take your Cadillac to a GM, Chevy or Caddy dealer and their service departments----most cities are nearby to one of those dealers so there really is no need for "service pickups" if it is routine... Mercedes Dealers are typically in "bigger" cities and can be a decent drive---thus the customer pick up. -- that seems to be something that's gets commented on throughout this forum as well so I wanted to address it!

BTW: If anyone has a doubt on the cost difference between the cars then go to MBUSA.com and see it for yourself. Frankly, the bang for the buck of the Cadillac Escalade is borderline spectacular---compared to that of their rivals. The engine, the new interior, the CUE system, the LOOK---it's second to none. I don't put much stock into the comment "well the german made SUV'S are much sportier" ---honestly, no one should be buying an SUV for sportiness. They buy it for safety, convenience, long family road trips, etc...SUV's shouldn't be driven at 100 MPH AND who cares what their zero to sixty is!?

Bottom Line: If you want the best SUV's in the world, you buy GM. You want the best pickup trucks in the world you buy Ford. You want the best sports cars in the world you buy Porsche. You want the best sedans, you buy german (BMW / Mercedes).

PS-- I get that there are growing pains with a new model, but we all new what we were potentially getting ourselves into when we signed up for the new Escy's! Just be patient. GM will fix everything and, rest assured, you'll be driving the prettiest SUV on the road for years to come!

·
Registered
2007, 2008 CTS
77 Posts
I agree, and I think it was well stated, Czamias1, especially about the best looking SUV on the road! I've owned other GM SUVs in the past and my 2007 Yukon Denali (first year of that body style) didn't start developing problems until 2011. I got rid of it for a 2011 Acadia Denali and that thing was flawless for the 2 years I owned it.

My question to the group is...What problems have MB, BMW, Lexus or Infiniti had with the launch of their totally redesigned SUVs in years past?

It makes me wonder if the Escalade launch is really as botched up as some have stated or if other technology laden large luxury SUVs have encountered similar issues at launch. But, whatever the case, I hope Cadillac will strive to fix any issues its customers might have.

This vibration thing makes me a bit nervous. I'll be watching like a hawk for that when I pick up my SWB in the next few weeks. What makes me nervous is that it doesn't sound like it can be fixed with a software upgrade or antenna replacement.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
I do not know about borderline spectacular.
BUT I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT.

My car costs $100K.
I got a 2015i Cadillac Escalade 4WD ESV w Power Steps PLATINUM.
It is 3 weeks old with 1000 miles and no vibrations on streets or on the interstates.
Avg gas mileage 14 MPG, MOSTLY IN 2WD.

·
Registered
2015 ESCALADE ESV 2015 CTS 2018 XT5. 2018 CT6
418 Posts
Not to mention Cadillac has free maintenance and free loaner cars. MB will rip you on maintenance. MB also acts like they have never discounted a vehicle off MSRP in their life. I easily got the supplier discount with Cadillac worth about $6000 off MSRP.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
+1 Czamias.

I have a 2015 GL550, it's no where close to the Escalade. The GL drives like car. The Escalade is true SUV and based from the pickup truck platform. The only perk about getting the GL is for parking in cities. Parking an Escalade in big cities can be a hassle. Technology wise, Cadillac wins.

If people are worried about performance, might as well get the new CTS-V. Making the GL63 makes no sense to me, even though it sounds cool for others.

I think the only competitor that is close to the Escalade level is the QX80.

Not to mention Cadillac has free maintenance and free loaner cars. MB will rip you on maintenance. MB also acts like they have never discounted a vehicle off MSRP in their life. I easily got the supplier discount with Cadillac worth about $6000 off MSRP.
BMW has the same thing, 4 years/50k. Only thing different is that X5 is not a true competitor for the Escalade.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium 4x4
15 Posts
I think the positive attitude toward some of the competitors comes from the fact they "don't seem" to have as many issues. Studies DO show that Cadillac is in the same category in quality as the others BUT seem to have more problems on "New" models. This is just my opinion.

I also agree you would be paying 10k more for the same thing in a BMW or Mercedes. However, those Mfg's don't have 2 other brands (Chevy, GMC) to raise the production numbers dramatically reducing cost. Only about 25-30k Mercedes GL's get produced every year with roughly the same for the Escalade before the redesign. Probably much higher numbers for the Escalade now since it is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. It is easily the most attractive SUV you can buy. But, throw in the 140,000 Tahoes and Yukons they sell each year reduces their costs a ton giving them a huge price advantage.

Don't undersell the "service pickup" as that counts for warranty as well. I have a wife and 2 kids (under the age of 4) which doesn't leave a lot of time to take vehicles in for service or warranty. When my wife can be at work and have them come grab the vehicle, perform the service and return it before she leaves that is a BIG DEAL to us. There are just as many of the other guys as their are Cadillac dealers in our area. I know you can take it to any GM dealer for service but GM recommends you taking it to a "certified" Cadillac dealer for ANY service.

I don't agree with the "we all know what we were potentially getting ourselves into" statement at all. It is easy to be patient, but when I feel my family isn't safe because they are in a "lesser" courtesy vehicle and may be for a month or longer during the winter months in Cleveland it is not acceptable.

We love the look and just about everything with our 2015i Escalade. But with only 1500 miles on it and looking at a month or longer in the shop just isn't acceptable to me. I grew up in a GM household and saved almost 9k with GM-S pricing, but don't feel like I am getting the same quality or service that I expect when buying a 90k vehicle. Maybe I will feel differently once I get through this ordeal, but I just have a really bad taste in my mouth at this moment.

Don
2015i Escalade

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It's common sense. The first year of a brand new redesign model will have tons of problems. In a sense thats a good thing, then the company will know what to expect and how to fix them for the future. Also, people will learn and know what to expect and how to tackle the issue if it happens to their future 'lade. If people just wait like 2+ years after the vehicle has been released, then problems will be less. No vehicle is perfect in the first year, and there will be rare cases when newest model won't have those problems. I remember my 2007 XL Denali, 2008 ESV, and 2009 XL denali had issues with the windshield cracking when it had the rain sensing wipers and had to replaced the windshield completely. The 2008 ESV had an issue with the tailgate making a grinding sound and getting stuck here an there. The 2007 and 2008 were the first year of the 3rd gen.

Right now, I love my 2013 Platinum ESV and has 0 issues so far. If I wanted to give it up, I would wait after 2-4 years and get another Platinum with dual exhausts.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
If you want the best sports sedan, you buy a CTS-V! Not a Mercedes E63 or BMW M5! Just saying!

One great thing about Cadillacs is they come with premium maintenance included and if you need to ever pay for maintenance items, it's CHEAP compared to German and Japanese cars. GM parts are cheap and labor isn't expensive.

·
Registered
17 Escalade,17 Chevy SS,88Corvette,71Corvette
459 Posts
Agree with the V!! Wait till the 2016 comes out....I might have to grab one!!

·
Registered
15 Escalade Plat SC, 14 CTS VSport Prem, 15 Range Rover SC
679 Posts
I'm pretty sure bottom line you want the best SUV in the world you buy a Land Rover. There are things I like better about my 15 Platinum than my 15 RR SuperCharged, but I now pretty much find myself exclusively driving the Range Rover. I wish it had some of the bells and whistles the Escalade has, but the RR is a considerably better driving SUV.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I'm pretty sure bottom line you want the best SUV in the world you buy a Land Rover. There are things I like better about my 15 Platinum than my 15 RR SuperCharged, but I now pretty much find myself exclusively driving the Range Rover. I wish it had some of the bells and whistles the Escalade has, but the RR is a considerably better driving SUV.
The Range Rovers are also an arm and a leg to maintain. Maintenance costs on the Range Rovers are just ridiculous with what the dealerships charge.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
It all depends upon what it is that the driver is looking for......from what I know, ( not experience ) the LR is probably the best luxury off-road capable vehicle out there. That being said....LR reliability reports are far less favorable than the MB GL series.....then there is styling, capacity, and on and on...... It really comes down to what's best for what each of us really wants out of a vehicle and that starts to include a lot of parameters! "Best" really becomes a hard classification to define......there are so many very nice and capable machines out there! THAT being said..... I honestly think (based upon MY criteria ) that the 2015 Escalade is the "best" made in this country!

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
The Range Rovers are also an arm and a leg to maintain. Maintenance costs on the Range Rovers are just ridiculous with what the dealerships charge.
It's actually not too bad. Think of it this way, most people who can afford the truck can afford the maintenance. Just like when a "go green tree hugging hippy' tries to sway you away from your escalade telling you how much you will have to spend in gas. You can afford the escalade so you can afford the gas.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Platinum (soon), 2013 Nissan GTR E85 (sold)
49 Posts
I agree with hannity...I don't buy a car if I can't afford the maintenance. At this price point most people are going to be fairly in tune with their financial situation in both the short term and long term costs of a vehicle. I had a Nissan GTR and was easily prepared to spend the necessary $4k for pads and rotors. It was $1500 for tires that last only 9000 miles.

As an aside...my 15i Escalade platinum also minorly vibrates. Everything else is flawless and is a work of art.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Ordered!!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Mom has a range rover. It's a different feel than the Escalade---it's more "sporty" than the Sclade---- That's what makes the escalade so special---it has the size AND the power and now it has the technology with the most recent upgrades. I classify the Range Rover in the same category as a Benz or BMW because their interiors don't have the space of the escalades.... Yes, I understand that the off road capability of the Range Rover is the best, but lets be honest here, how many people are really taking their escalade's in the Sand Dunes that they show the Range Rover in commercials going through? None of the people I know do it. Plus, the physical appearance of the Escalade, compared to the Benz, Mercedes, Range Rover or any other SUV for that matter---blow them out of the water in my opinion. I think GM outdid themselves here--This is the SUV they've always wanted to build and you can tell---the Escalade is the king of the road. That's not to say the others aren't good SUV's, but for everyday needs and TONS of space...I don't see how you can beat the GM SUV---not to mention their cars are meant to last and are relatively inexpensive to get serviced.

·
Registered
none
16 Posts
"In those affected vehicles, the front brake hose could rupture, leaking brake fluid and decreasing the capability of the brakes to, you know... stop the vehicle."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/08/jaguar-land-rover-three-recalls/

Yeah not my cup of tea, quite frankly.
Yea, you're so right Nihsel. GM has never had any significant recalls. Need me to post a few links, or you wanna google 'em. The knock on range rover reliability is bs. All lines have reliability issues. the 2013 and newer range rovers (sport and full size) are every bit as well built and reliable as my 15 platinum. I have both and am not knocking either. Just don't like the unfair comparison you make by cherry picking one link.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yea, you're so right Nihsel. GM has never had any significant recalls. Need me to post a few links, or you wanna google 'em. The knock on range rover reliability is bs. All lines have reliability issues. the 2013 and newer range rovers (sport and full size) are every bit as well built and reliable as my 15 platinum. I have both and am not knocking either. Just don't like the unfair comparison you make by cherry picking one link.
You just wait until 2015 JD Power vehicle dependability study is out.

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts
You just wait until 2015 JD Power vehicle dependability study is out.

Btw, why are you so upset from my comment? There are so many other people out there that will give unfair comparisons, like comparing the GL to the Escalade even though the GL, imo, shouldn't be in the same category as the Escalade. Do I get upset about it? Nope. People still bashing GM for it's ignition problems. Do I get upset? Nope. I suggest you tone it down.
"Still bashing GM for the ignition recalls"…like it happened 10 years ago?…no, it is still ongoing..
The RR and the Escalade are in a different league. French couture vs. Jos A Banks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts