Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spotted this on CNN.com. No more "Pontiac Exitement". Just when I was thinking of a G8. Soon I could probably get one cheap but who wants an orphan car? Bad enough I own a Catera. That's hard enough. A car which Cadillac dealers hate and the factory hardly acknowledges. How much factory support will there be for Pontiacs after a few years? Buick is allowed to live because it's a huge hit in China. Maybe, but those Buicks are built over there. Cadillac even makes special models for China. Unbelievable.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?postversion=2009042414

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
I just spotted this on CNN.com. No more "Pontiac Exitement". Just when I was thinking of a G8. Soon I could probably get one cheap but who wants an orphan car? Bad enough I own a Catera. That's hard enough. A car which Cadillac dealers hate and the factory hardly acknowledges. How much factory support will there be for Pontiacs after a few years? Buick is allowed to live because it's a huge hit in China. Maybe, but those Buicks are built over there. Cadillac even makes special models for China. Unbelievable.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?postversion=2009042414
No better than whatever factory support there is now for Oldsmobile models.

·
Registered
'00 STS
154 Posts
I never understood why there was an Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac and Chevy with a broad spectrum of models. I thought a they should have a base version, luxury version, suv version and high performance division for all. That's just me...

·
Registered
'97 Forest Green Catera
674 Posts
Pontiac of late has been a real puzzle. For example, the G6 is almost identical to the Saturn Aura and the Chevy Malibu. The Malibu gets rave reviews and I believe one of the car mags had the Aura as car of the year a while ago. Yet the G6 gets terrible ratings. Consumer Report rates it at the bottom of almost any list, and the reliability has been terrible. Sure, the G6 was the first of the three built on this platform, but surely any upgrades and reliability improvements can be retrofitted into the G6. Many Pontiac dealers have been combined with Chevy by now, so even the maintenance should be the same. The G8 is a nice car, but Pontiac had almost nothing to do with it. The Pontiac Aztek was the beginning of the end.

I was also considering the G8, but like you, don't want to get stuck with yet another orphan (I also have an Olds Alero in addition to the Catera)

Barry

·
Registered
484 Posts
There are laws that require that manufacturers provide parts and service for all vehicles for 10-years. So don't worry about buying a Pontiac; You will still be able to get parts and service. Most of them are badge clones of other vihicles anyways. You can still get parts and service for any Oldsmobile.

When GM files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June, likely all brands including Buick (only Buick in North America), Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Saab will be finally be put out of their misery. Only Chevy and Cadillac will remain. These brands made sense when GM had 60% market share (in the 60's and early 70's) but now that GM barely has 18% market share, these brands make no sense at all.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pontiac of late has been a real puzzle. For example, the G6 is almost identical to the Saturn Aura and the Chevy Malibu. The Malibu gets rave reviews and I believe one of the car mags had the Aura as car of the year a while ago. Yet the G6 gets terrible ratings. Consumer Report rates it at the bottom of almost any list, and the reliability has been terrible. Sure, the G6 was the first of the three built on this platform, but surely any upgrades and reliability improvements can be retrofitted into the G6.
The current G6 is based on the old Epsilon platform that was shared with the old Mailbu. The current Malibu uses the Epsilon II platform.

I was also considering the G8, but like you, don't want to get stuck with yet another orphan (I also have an Olds Alero in addition to the Catera)
You can get huge discounts on them. Great time to buy a G8. As stated previously, when Pontiac get the axe, you will still be able to get parts and service regardless.

·
Registered
'00 STS
154 Posts
The current G6 is based on the old Epsilon platform that was shared with the old Mailbu. The current Malibu uses the Epsilon II platform.

You can get huge discounts on them. Great time to buy a G8. As stated previously, when Pontiac get the axe, you will still be able to get parts and service regardless.
I say if you're going to buy any new car, buy it outright and drive it into the ground. G8 doesn't hold it value as is, when they go under it will depreciate even more...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts