'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking into buying a stock PCM (for dealer visits) and a tuned PCM for everyday driving. If I do so I will need to have a Crankshaft Position relearn done everytime I switch or I can drive around with the check engine light on.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
That sucks..I thought you only had to program the CKP the first time. I'm starting to lean toward the injector-style tuners as a result of dealership-paranoia. I had a stock ECU for my Audi turbo, only took 3 mins to swap boxes and no other issues to deal with. I hope StealthV comes out with his injector before Spring or I'll need to do the Diablosport/Superchips handheld route. I'd rather switch to a stock tune via the OBD port than need to go through the various steps/costs of having an extra ECU.
Ve good,
ace996

·
Registered
490 Posts
The CASE learn procedure is only for misfire monitoring. The procedure essentially enables misfire monitoring. It seems a simple solution would be to have the tuner of the ECM disable the CASE learn code (P1336, I think) from illuminating the MIL.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
now wait guys....i'm not the expert but the CPK needs learned ONCE and once only. Having swapped PCMs many times for flashes, I never ever had to redo this no matter how many times it was flashes. The BRAND NEW one fresh out of the box needed it, but that was it, 1 time. I don't know why some folks have had to do it more often....

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
negative Urby, I have 2 PCMs and whenever I swap out one, I have to do a CPK relearn. It holds true if you only have 1 PCM, but multiples need to relearn. Rick?

F

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
guys,
think about it logically.

The CKP memorizes the position of the crankshaft. If a PCM is out of the car and the engine spins, it does not know where the crankshaft is in its rotation without a program. So, if the engine runs without a PCM in it, when you put that PCM back in, you must reprogram it.

Rick, correct me if I am wrong.

Reed

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
It would be best for our resident expert tech to answer as the title of the thread was originally directed that way.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick,

I appreciated your email. I replied. Thanks for looking out for me as usual.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I remember that thread. Be careful Rick, people are going to start thinking your as sensitive as I am. ;) You sure we can't fly you down here in November??? That would sure take care of my tune problems. Maybe you could make Derek your Texas supplier???? Now that's thought.:bouncy:

Shane

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
ssmith100 said:
You sure we can't fly you down here in November??? That would sure take care of my tune problems.
Shane
From now until the snow melts, my calendar is full. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts