Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a new 2007 Tahoe last night and I worked real hard to get a good deal pinning one dealer against the other. In the end after 2 weeks of negiotiating hard I ended up with $7300 off of MSRP. GM Supplier discount was roughly $4000 off MSRP so I did much better.

My question is in the middle of negiotiating I had mentioned the supplier discount and since the price I was up to at that point was better then supplier they said dont bother with the supplier discount. Again I ended up at $7300 off MSRP so I was getting a better deal that supplier discount anyway.

Today I get a call from the dealer (After the sale) asking if I did not mind to supply them my GM Supplier Discount Authorization. He said it helps the dealer out but would not give any info. What exactly does the dealer gain from this? Should I bother giving them a supplier discount authorization number? Its not going to benefit me either way but just courious why after the sale would they ask for this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Well, you know it has to benefit the dealer or they wouldn't be asking. Tell 'em ok, but you want free oil changes for life. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you know it has to benefit the dealer or they wouldn't be asking. Tell 'em ok, but you want free oil changes for life. :thumbsup:
I have heard others say the dealer gets a check back for the difference between MSRP and Supplier Price but this cant be true can it? I know there are folks here that work for GM and I am just trying to see whats in it for the dealer. I need to figure out whats its worth to them to see what I want them to do for me to give it up to them.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
When I bought my CTS, I used the GMS discount since my law firm represent GM in California. GM does give the dealer the money back on the discount that they pass on to the purchaser. That's why for each vehicle, they have a specific price for GMS Discount. Basically, although the deal to you was much better than the GMS discount, if they submit the sale to GM as a GMS discounted price, they get it back; so instead of selling your vehicle for 7,000 less, to them it will be as if they sold it for 3,000 less since they are going to claim 4,000 GMS discount on your vehicle. I can see them throwing in some optional equipment, or lifetime oil change or somethin. You have some leverage Bro....SHouldn't you be asking that stuff on the Tahoe forum...I thought you left us...Just kidding Tomm....Hey, my Passport X-50 still rocks!!!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When I bought my CTS, I used the GMS discount since my law firm represent GM in California. GM does give the dealer the money back on the discount that they pass on to the purchaser. That's why for each vehicle, they have a specific price for GMS Discount. Basically, although the deal to you was much better than the GMS discount, if they submit the sale to GM as a GMS discounted price, they get it back; so instead of selling your vehicle for 7,000 less, to them it will be as if they sold it for 3,000 less since they are going to claim 4,000 GMS discount on your vehicle. I can see them throwing in some optional equipment, or lifetime oil change or somethin. You have some leverage Bro....SHouldn't you be asking that stuff on the Tahoe forum...I thought you left us...Just kidding Tomm....Hey, my Passport X-50 still rocks!!!
Those forums are lame...

Still cant believe that they receive the full amount back. Are you sure its how it works? I just cant see why every dealer does not participate then. If they sell at supplier discount it would be like selling at msrp then?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
They don't get the difference between Supplier and MSRP, they get a set percentage of the cost of the vehicle kicked back into their open account.

If they treated you right, help them out- it's not costing you anything. I'm sure it will buy you plenty of good will down the road, and it's the least you can do if they gave you a good deal on the truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts