Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Allante, 06 CTS
723 Posts
Chuck C said:
When I compare GM to Ford, I see Ford coming out on top. Why? The Mustang...
I have a bit of a different take on the new mustang and GM. When I was a Corvette owner (C4) there was a large uproar for maybe a mid-engine or rear-engine model and possibly some AWD. But credit the Corvette design team for understanding that most people that buy Corvettes are enthusiasts and appreciate the fact that it retains it front-engine RWD heritage. I kinda think the same rings true for the Camaro. If Chevy was to offer a throw back Camaro, as Ford did with the Mustang, I think it would piss off most of their client base. Remember the ruckus when Chevy re-introduced the Nova as a pile of junk in the early 90's? As for Ford trucks outselling Chevy or GMC for 'X' years straight - that is marketing bunk. Only because GMC and Chevy both compete for the same customers does Ford have to ability to say it is the best selling truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
GM is loosing money for countless number of reasons.... they have an aggregoius union with wages so out of hand it's rediculous (no one should make $26.00/hr to stamp a fender), they have the healthcare issue (most fiscally flexible companies today farm their healthcare packages out to an HMO... I think they need to do that to stay competitive in the year 2005), and above all, they build inferior cars to the Japanese and Germans. Even the Koreans are sneaking up on them. And if you don't believe that, drive a Hyundai Sonata and a Chevy Impalla back to back, pay close attention to the fit and finish of each interior, as well as the overall handling, and see what you think.

GM must slash it's overhead with a machette, and re-invest the left over cash into restructuring the company from the CEO down, fortifying the infrastructure of the entire company - world wide - to support producing cars a whole new and different way (cheaper, more efficiently, and all the while improve quality and reliability above and beyond the foreign rivals). GM can no longer look at Ford and DCX as their only rivals. In fact, they must look at Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus as their MAIN rivals, to which they must catch up to and surpass, in order to stay in business.

The cold hard fact of the matter is, Toyota set their sights on being the #1 car company in the world 30 some odd years ago...... and you know what? They are #2 and encroaching on GM's covetted spot, getting ever so closer every year. By 2010, they will probably do it. And not just in the world. Toyota/Lexus may become the #1 car company in America soon if GM doesn't get their priorities straight.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts