Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Deville
I recently replaced the oil switch due to overheating at low idle at dealership. Car was fine for 2 weeks, now all of a sudden I am getting a msg saying low oil pressure - stop engine. The dealership says its due to high mileage (170,000mi) engine may be wearing out. And to try regular sae30 oil and a bottle of lucas. DID NOT WORK. There arent any knocks in the motor. I believe it may be the pump, but they do not because they say they do not do a lot of oil pump replacement on Northstars. A local mechanic said to have the engine pressure flushed with oil. I am confused and Any help would be appreciated.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Step 1 at this point is to install a mechanical gage and measure the oil pressure.
Step 2, if the oil pressure is below specification, is to tear the engine down and find out where the problem is and fix it.
Anything else is an exercise in futility.
You can guess and throw miracle cures at it all day long but you won't fix it until you verify the problem and fix it.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
Was the oil pressure switch replacement a factory item? There have been many cases on this forum where the replacement was an aftermarket part with an incorrect calibration. Temporarily install an accurate oil pressure gauge like ewill3rd suggests to find out what is really going on. Many forum members use Rotella truck oil as a fix and are happy with it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was acdelco from the local dealership. I currently use rotella sae30, I will put the truck oil her, and try to offer as a trade to hopefully a deville with lower miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts