Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K, guys heres the deal. As a manual V owner the electronic parking break needs to be either tossed out or tweaked. I was at a gas station and i flicked the switch and went to the pump. Right as I turn around what do i see as my v slowly starts to roll. I jump in and break and find out that the parking break didnt connect. Thats the issue, unlike the auto V we don't have a "P" so you guys need to maybe make the v do a slight "beep" noise to verify that the parking break is down. Not all of us will always wait a few seconds for it to pop up on the screen. Not only that but another question is what happens after 80-90k miles and if there is an issue with the parking break line ?? What if the odo says the parking brake is up and you leave the car only to come back to it later down the street...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
Yeah, and while the concept is not bad, saving a little weight, etc., and has kept me out of a gravel road ditch, while turning around in a narrow driveway, I would welcome the old manual lever at the right-hand side of the console (and not the foot pedal), so we don't have to continually educate parking valets or others that are not familiar with its operation. Maybe we're just "running against the wind," but the audible beep is a great idea going forward.

Jud

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
I'm sorry, I fail to understand your issue with the parking brake. From what I understand of your post, you hit the switch and it did not catch and you failed to notice that the display did not show that it did not activate. You then got out and the car rolled and you are blaming the system for your failure to verify that it was not set? That is my understanding of what you are saying. How about taking responsibility for not setting the parking brake in the first place? If you had a car with a parking brake lever and pulled it up but not far enough for it to set is it your fault or the systems? Furthermore, you refer to the issue of what happens down the road when the system falls out of adjustment, well my understanding of the automatic parking brake is that it self adjusts up until it can no further adjust at which point I'm sure the DIC will tell you to service the parking brake. This is really not much different than a manual parking brake lever where the higher you pull the lever the more the brake will grip up until it won't grip. However you will get no warning for it not gripping with a lever activated system. I'm sorry, we are now living in a world where it is always someone else's responsibility for our actions or failure to act. The system in your CTS-V is more advanced than an old style parking brake and will work up until it won't work as long as YOU SET IT! Simple as that. I fly airplanes and my actions directly affect that safety of every flight. I make sure that the aircraft is maintained and that everything is working properly before and during every flight and if something is not right I have the responsibility to calculate how much that affects my personal safety. YOU are the operator of the car and have to take on a level of responsibility to activate a switch that applies a perfectly working system to apply the parking brake or you need to leave the car in gear. It is your responsibility! Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you but I fail to see the real issue here. Old style or new style parking brake you need to apply it and confirm it is working prior to exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V; 2010 Escalade ESV
464 Posts
There is a "Brake" light in the center of the dash that lights up.
You mean the manual V's don't have that display?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they do but do you look at the guage to see if it goes on everytime you use it ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
They do. That is why I fail to understand the original poster's issue.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sorry, I fail to understand your issue with the parking brake. From what I understand of your post, you hit the switch and it did not catch and you failed to notice that the display did not show that it did not activate. You then got out and the car rolled and you are blaming the system for your failure to verify that it was not set? That is my understanding of what you are saying. How about taking responsibility for not setting the parking brake in the first place? If you had a car with a parking brake lever and pulled it up but not far enough for it to set is it your fault or the systems? Furthermore, you refer to the issue of what happens down the road when the system falls out of adjustment, well my understanding of the automatic parking brake is that it self adjusts up until it can no further adjust at which point I'm sure the DIC will tell you to service the parking brake. This is really not much different than a manual parking brake lever where the higher you pull the lever the more the brake will grip up until it won't grip. However you will get no warning for it not gripping with a lever activated system. I'm sorry, we are now living in a world where it is always someone else's responsibility for our actions or failure to act. The system in your CTS-V is more advanced than an old style parking brake and will work up until it won't work as long as YOU SET IT! Simple as that. I fly airplanes and my actions directly affect that safety of every flight. I make sure that the aircraft is maintained and that everything is working properly before and during every flight and if something is not right I have the responsibility to calculate how much that affects my personal safety. YOU are the operator of the car and have to take on a level of responsibility to activate a switch that applies a perfectly working system to apply the parking brake or you need to leave the car in gear. It is your responsibility! Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you but I fail to see the real issue here. Old style or new style parking brake you need to apply it and confirm it is working prior to exiting the vehicle.
Sounds like someone is having a bad day. My basic statement is that as manual owners we rely on the parking brake ALOT more than an automatic owner does. GM should make note of that and in additon maybe put it in the setting menu to turn on a "beep" noise as the brake activates. Yea of course its my fault for not sitting there for 3 seconds as it lights up on my guage. With a manual lever I never had this problem and it only took me a split second. BUT this is something that will happen on occasion with this type of system and i'm just trying to make that a point. Because we are manual owners we should get a little more response from this awkward system of braking....Now imagine if you have to take your car into service or have someone deal with it thats not used to the guage response...lets say like valet and they are in a rush and you come back to find your car rolled into a bentley ?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
I always have a habbit of leaving my manual cars in gear when parked. First I engage the park brake and then throw it in gear as a backup should the park brake fail.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still feel this will happen more than people think. Not many people will jump online and complain if they rolled their car into their house =)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh its a mistake that won't happen again. Sigh, I do miss the ole' handbrake.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The old hand brake was an advance over the older foot brake and electronic brake is an advance over both as long as you set it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The old hand brake was an advance over the older foot brake and electronic brake is an advance over both as long as you set it.
Not necessarily true. Hand brake's were always more dominating in the sports car market as it offered more control of the vehicle. A brand new lexus doesnt have a hand brake...Yet my old '93 mr2 turbo did.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V 6MT, 2017 AMG GLC43
310 Posts
I agree that sometimes it doesn't catch, so I usually wait to see if the light goes on, listen for the brake being applied and always leave the car in 1st gear.

For an electronic parking brake, it should catch every time you pull on it (whether you pull quickly or more deliberately). My guess is the switch has a lot of travel and does not activate until you pull the entire way -- I'm not sure what the benefit of that is.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
I always leave manuals in 1st and set the parking brake when I stop. Force of habit since I was 16 years old. Doesn't everyone do this? If not, why not? Just curious...

·
Registered
CTS-V, GT-R
55 Posts
I'm with Razorecko on this one, handbrakes preferred. I must admit though, I've had another car roll in neutral after failing to pull the handbrake all the way.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ditto that GMX! I hardly ever use my emergency brake when parking my manuals over the past 47 years. Always leave them in gear though. So, is it give me a break or give me a brake??? For some that's confusing, but for the life of me, I don't understand why!

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
81 Posts
I have never liked the Electronic EB from the day I drove the car off the lot. I have always left my manual cars in first gear. I don't understand how anyone would get out of their car and leave it in neutral with the brake off.

RB

1 - 20 of 40 Posts