Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Great forum with daily contributions, very excited about being a future CTS-V owner, I hope! Little more about myself, I'm an American and have been living in Japan for about 16 years now. I'm a total car fanatic, having owned a car for everything from gymkhana to drifting. Being a married man w/ 2 kids now, "MY" time is not as plentiful as it once was. I loved dropping a CRX tranny and replacing the clutch all within 2 hours :cool2: or rebuilding a blown FD engine (3G Rx7). This past year many things have transpired impacting us all in many different ways, I lost my job in Jan 2009. Looking back now, as I've just started working again this month. This was truly a blessing in disguise; it allowed me more time to spend with my family & friends. During this "time off" I was also able to test drive a few vehicles (promising myself one, once I found a job):

1USD = 97Yen

- 2009 Lexus IS-F (8,500,000Yen); Nice car for your 20~27 year olds, ride is a little harsh, but very planted. Lot of intake noise when you romp the accel, sounds cool, but not something I would drive to a business meeting in..... Interior reminds me of something from FAST and FURIOUS. Fun to drive.

- 2009 M3 (9,000,000yen); All business, love the look but meant to be on the track. Daily driving would beat you. Very fun and the best PURE PERFORMANCE sedan on the market!

- 2009 M5 (15,000,000yen); The standard that all over sport sedans strived to be like. The Michael Jordan of the sports sedan world. Flawless......NO but definitely damn close.

- 2009 CTS-V (9,500,000yen); I've heard the stories seen the videos (you tube) even (Top Gear) had a second look. Torque that none of the others come close too. Overall best value for performance, excellent interior and did I mention torque that none of the others can match!!! Very classy ride, definitely does not mind being the center of attention. Comfortable and a VERY FUN TO DRIVE, no one knows what this car is capable of, as of this posting only 5 have been sold Japan wide. Biggest complaint, 20's" would fill the wheel wells much better.

2009 AMG E63; (16,000,000yen) the car I use to dream about, fun but.....rather long in the tooth on the styling these day...... Worst value per performance.

2009 Audi RS6; (16,000,000yen) pure beast, a well composed sleeper. Make no mistake about this car, the CTS-V definitely would have its work cut out in a head-to-head dual with one of these.

All were sedans and automatic versions.

I can honestly say all of these vehicles are statements to today’s technology. Of the bunch, two REALLY separated themselves from the others the 2009 CTS-V and the 2009 RS6. Unfortunately, I gave the Cadillac dealer a call here last week and they told me that they are no longer selling the 2009 model and that the availability of the 2010 has yet to be decided......TELL ME IT AINT SO!?!?!!?

Well I'm back on the fence again however, with this information about the CTS-V.........the RS6 is looking like my only other option. :hmm:

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
40 Grand mark-up.....
them Japanese are clever.

We ought to mark up all foreign cars 40K and see what people buy

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood
388 Posts
40 Grand mark-up.....
them Japanese are clever.

We ought to mark up all foreign cars 40K and see what people buy
EXACTLY. Most foreign countries mark up (tariff) cars imported from America, very heavily. Far more heavily than we tariff their cars imported to the U.S. Ironically from the same countries who sell most of their cars in the U.S.: Japan, Korea, Germany, UK. China is one of the worst offenders of all, and they import more crap to the U.S. than anybody!

It's not fair trade at all. I say an eye for an eye. If Japan slaps heavy tariffs on our cars imported to Japan, then we should do the same to their cars imported to the U.S.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
$97,062 for the V in Japan with today's exchange rate. WOW. That markup sure isn't from the shipping!

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is actually a double edge sword as NO car in Japan holds really good resale value. :cookoo:

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
It is actually a double edge sword as NO car in Japan holds really good resale value. :cookoo:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

wonder if the foreign vehicles had a 50% import tax.....

looks fair to me....

fair is fair........ Well, never happen, but what a sweet hope...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
26 Posts
Is it import tariffs that are responsible, or something else?

What does a similiar Japanese car sell for?

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
- 2009 Lexus IS-F (8,500,000Yen); Nice car for your 20~27 year olds, ride is a little harsh, but very planted. Lot of intake noise when you romp the accel, sounds cool, but not something I would drive to a business meeting in..... Interior reminds me of something from FAST and FURIOUS. Fun to drive
Good question, what does the Lexus IS-F cost in your area? I belive the price of cars here in Japan has more to do with the fact that Japanese dont ask why? They would rather just pay the cost on the sticker price! :hide:

·
Registered
Cts-v (on order) Red, Black interior, 6mt
57 Posts
not to give unwarranted props to the m3, but it wouldnt beat you up as a daily driver any more then most of those cars. Its a perfectly fine daily driver.

I just dont think its the best performance sedan in its class. The CTS-V however is.

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just dont think its the best performance sedan in its class. The CTS-V however is.
I think BOTH are best in their class, depends on how you classify "class", which to me is:
E63, M5, CTS-v, RS6 or M3, RS4,IS-F,C63

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
401 Posts
Perhaps the ships are taking the scenic route via the Horn of Africa and have to pay those big bad pirates their ransom, thus the price increase... :D

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,082 Posts
I just got back from a 10 day business trip to Japan. While I was there I saw exacly 1 american car, driving on the street. It happened to be a black, left hand drive '08/'09 Black 3.6 CTS. It looked amazing compared to the other cars driving along, and it snapped a LOT of necks. Everyone was checking it out.

I'd be willing to bet that the resale on a V over there would stay fairly high, as they are so rare, and such a beastly car.

I saw a fair amount of BWUU's, Mercedes, and a couple of Audis. Cadillac was Uber rare though.

-Chris

·
Registered
05 CTS-V / 06 Escalade
1,059 Posts
RS6 FTW!! That is my DREAM car V10 Twin Turbo AWD - RS6 got my Vote.

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:alchi:Guess GM read my post! I received a call today from GM Japan that the 2010 Cadillac CTS-V will go on sale from Sept 09. WOOOOOOOOOOT!!!
:):):):):):highfive:

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, White, Auto, all options (Traded for a Tahoe)
419 Posts
looks like you had better get after one!

Now... what color to go with???

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh believe me, I have had dreams about driven a Diamond white CTS-V! No thought needed in this decision. Well off to Harry Winston I go, need a little something to convience the wife I need another car. ;-):stirpot:

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 08 STS-V, 14 Raptor, 12 Camaro SS, 08 FJ
1,777 Posts
Are you saying Japanese cars don't hold their value or any car driven IN Japan don't hold their value.

cause anything Honda makes holds value here better than any other car. NSX especially. Of course you have the original GTR's and maybe the current ones, time will tell on them.

But if you mean cars over there then thats die to economy to scale or they have a high damage rate or beat the crap out of them.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
217 Posts
that would be AWESOME, a CTS-V terrorizing the japanese streets... sounds awesome.

littleelvisdan
I believe it has to do with japanese taxes, renewing your car would cost as much as selling your car and adding more money to buy a new one. something like that, not quite familiar with the system overthere, but its something as ridiculous as what i mentioned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts