Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/cadillac-commits-to-making-performance-cars-with-manual-transmissions/?fbclid=IwAR1I2t3B_OtDOoy-BiOeB4RhrEGg9pTcyG4-Ih1687gBuA6PIrxk_cgAwlc

Not having a manual option for the gen 3 CTS-V was the single biggest mistake GM made with that car. It's why I didn't buy one. According to this, it's likely the hot versions of the CT4-V and CT5-V - possibly called Blackwing - will have manuals. Reuss confirmed hot Cadilacs WILL have manuals, so it's just a question of which specific models now. And with nobody else in that segment offering manuals, Cadillac can rub it in their faces.

About time they recognized why Gen 2s are so popular now, and why the manuals are selling for so much more than the autos. Their reasoning for auto-only on the Gen 3 was always crap ("but the auto shifts faster" and "you shouldn't want a manual"). I'm surprised but happy they FINALLY figured it out. And they'll have the A10 for people who want the auto like drag racers and commuters, everybody wins.

·
Registered
'17 Tundra, '16 3GT (wife's)
591 Posts
I do of course love how GM continues to build cars for the driving enthusiast.

But I'm equally excited about the 10-speed auto coming to both the CT4 & CT5. IMO, I think it's a better match for high HP cars, especially when you get into the weight they are pushing these days.

Manual trans in a Miata or Cayman sure, but a 500hp ~4000 lb sedan, I'll take the auto.

Also hoping GM doesn't screw up the next gen of Alpha chassis in these days, handling/steering is really what set them apart from the competition!

·
Registered
2011 WD Vagon 6MT "Unobtainicorn"
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual trans in a Miata or Cayman sure, but a 500hp ~4000 lb sedan, I'll take the auto.
You're welcome to use whatever transmission you want, but as somebody who owns a ~750 HP manual CTS-V wagon, I promise you that the manual is absolutely fitting for the car, and for me it's so much more preferable to the auto that it's not even a choice. I'm not sure if you think it's too much power for a manual or something, but it isn't. Or if the car isn't "fun" enough for a manual, but it is.

Like you said, the handling/steering, chassis, balance, etc; everything Cadillac does to these cars to make them drive so well is specifically why they feel so good with a manual. The good news is that unlike the 3rd gen, you're not being forced into one or the other; they'll offer both, so you can choose whatever you want.

The 10A is only a better match for bragging rights and drag strip times, or if you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic, or if you just like autos. It's not a better match if you want a manual.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3rd Gen Steller Black on Platinum Lux
68 Posts
I can see both sides and therefore feel GM should offer both. The 10 speed is hella fast, (less than 10th of a second) much faster than any human, but the feel of a manual is just AWESOME! I don't live in ATL or NYC however, so no traffic problems for me. LOL! This is a HOT topic w the C8 corvette about to be revealed, as I'm sure you all know it will have only an auto.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V 6MT, 2017 AMG GLC43
309 Posts
That's great to hear. I've spent countless hours arguing with POW over the need for a manual across these threads.

There's been no good upgrade for the manual Gen2 CTS-V's. It would be nice to see a CT5-V manual. Granted, I could probably live with a DSG, too, with AWD.

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V MT6 Sedan, Alfas: '67 Duetto, '84 GTV6 3.5L 24v/Vette C5 project
508 Posts
My bet is that Caddy continues to offer the same Tremec 6060 6sp for the refreshed ATS-V (CT4-V+ with LF4 TT V6), but I'd really be surprised if they actually do offer a manual tranny option for the CT5-V+ (Blackwing?). If they do, it would rock, and might actually lure some sales in from euro-midsized luxury sport sedans owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts