Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
First let me say I continue to enjoy my new 01 STS more and more every day I drive it,and I seem to have gotten to the bottom of what its buy back very possibly could have been for. I suppose it recently came to light with GM that several of its vehicles have been exhibiting a very annoying clunking noise when performing turns. I started noticing this behavior on my Seville recently and took her in this morning. To my surprise the service advisor knew almost immediately what the problem was, and pointing to an INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT lubrication issue. I was a little skeptical about lubing a part to fix such a problem , but I can say they had it out by 4pm today and the clunk is gone. My concern is this, If GM knows this, I believe it would be best to replace the actual part, and not provide a lube kit with a stopper and some instructions. Im wondering how much this has been discussed here and how long something like this can last. Its entirely possible this problem was the source of THIS cars turmoil with multiple steering component replacements in the past, as GM dealers have been known to do just that to fix this problem to no avail. So opinions would be great. In some research I did I also found there is a NHTSA investigation for 2000 models across the GM lineup for the same problem, leading all the way up to some accidents in extreme cases, with Police Impalas. Here is a writeup of the supposed "fix". http://www.impalahq.com/TSB/TSB01-02-32-001A.html

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2002 STS that had the same problem. As recently as this past May, my dealer wasn't aware of the TSB and ended up replaceing the entire steering column with one from a 2003 STS off thier lot. So far, the problem has not returned. This is a weird issue that I hope they have finaly got a handle on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Playdrv4me