Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
I hope this doesn't affect Norm (even though he moved on to a GTO).

-Chris

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thankfully I got the hell out of dodge and was able to sell my house before all of this hit...

My condolences to all that get hit by this in MI and elsewhere.

Flint, Lansing, Ypsi, Detroit and the surrounding areas have a long tough road ahead of them...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yep, and after Wagoner screws GM for all the money he can, he'll bail out with a nice financial parachute also. They don't give a sh!t about 30,000 of their workers.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Quote from the new COO of Delphi. "When the guy mowing the lawn makes $65 hr. we've got a problem." I'm not anti-union, well actually I am but I don't want to "go there". The union has negotiated the loss of it's members jobs and has been successfully doing so for 30+ years. When the Japanese can build a car for 50% of our labor costs were in deep kim chee. This is Japanese companies using US workers in US plants in states like Tenessee and North Carolina mind you, not their homeland. When a guy with a GED expects to make $100,000 per year, plus benefits, plus pension for attaching 4 bolts to a wheel assembly all day long we all have a problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
GM screwing thier workers? Would help to be informed first. Most of those 30,000 are for workers retiring, which means they still get a great pension and benefits. The other have "job banks" where the union continues paying thier salary and benefits.

How about saying screw UAW? GM employees get salaries and benefits way higher than what of any equivalent position in any other industry gets. They've been riding the gravy train way too long.

Unions outgrew thier usefullness 30 years ago. Look at what it has done to Europe.

Eric

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yep, Unions are chasing American jobs overseas. They are great for getting people to lose their jobs when the company can't afford to employ them anymore.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Overseas? I wish. They're in our backyards. Hard to get pissed at Honda when their Odyssey has more American built parts, assembled by American workers than say the PT Cruiser. The jobs don't have to go overseas. They just need to get out of the over-unionized Midwest. There is absolutely no reason to build a manufacturing business in the Midwest any longer. Less expensive labor, tax perks and a willing workforce await any industry in the southeast or anywhere south of say Kentucky. Sad but true.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Actually, eager workers await for them outside the country also. They also get paid next to nothing with no health care and pensions. I wouldn't be surprised if GM opens up a plant in China or somewhere else within 6 months.

Our government allows foreign companies to sell their cars cheaper in the US than in their own country while our cars get taxed like crazy overseas. They also allow these same companies to build these cars in the US giving people the impression that the jobs are great for the American people. My question to them is where do they think the jobs will go if their company starts to suffer. How would it look to the Japanesse people if they allow Americans to keep their jobs for Nissan while workers in their own country is losing the same job.

I'm all for fair market but right now the American companies are not getting their fair share. The only way our companies can compete is to dump our Unionized expensive workers for cheap labor overseas. It is ironic that the part that fails most on the V isn't even made on this side of the pond. Cadillac was just dumb enough to put it in their car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts