Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone understand why Cadillac failed to put a simply light in the glove box? I cannot believe it was an oversight but also would think having one would not be costly for them... Just makes zero sense.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
It was not an oversight, it was a cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
12 Posts
Punmax said:
A bulb probably costs GM $0.10. Has to be more than a cost cutting measure.
Can the same logic be used for the lack of auto-up feature on rear door windows, and no memory for front passenger seat?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Like I said not a deal breaker. At least it has an exquisite alcantara cover, lockable valet code, etc.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
The problem is that GM doesn't think in terms of one car, GM thinks in terms of the millions of cars it produces so every 10 cents saved in production of each car adds up to millions of dollars GM saved.

It was not an oversight, it was a cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade, 2015 SRX, 2017 XT5
100 Posts
It's more than 10 cents - There is the cost of the wiring, socket, switch, and lamp, as well as the incremental labor. Having said that, even if it cost $20 to put in, this is SUPPOSED to be a Cadillac, isn't it?

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
People are saying there aren't lights anywhere else either but you must look hard, they are there but very low light levels. I think it is pretty cool and easy on the eyes but I have great vision. It makes sense though from a safety perspective. I know that a pilot of a plane who took a selfie and the flash of light made him incoherent to fly and crashed. The low light may attribute to not distracting the driver similar to that of a jet plane like the projection technology being utilized

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Another example of GM's "de-contenting." Charge more for the car while giving less features or taking standard features away. There is no reason why the glovebox shouldn't have a single LED lamp in it so you can see your registration/insurance papers in the event you get stopped. I am used to GM's "de-contenting" mentality. It's been going on for years and years now!

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Even my lowly SRX that cost 1/3 of what you guys are paying has a glove box light. It is even cooled by the a/c if you slide the baffle inside over!

·
Registered
677 Posts
And probably lit foot-wells, and trunk light to boot.
Not sure how old you are but i'm 35 and I remember back when cars used to have a light under the hood. I don't think any automakers have lights under the hood so I can let GM slide on that one, LOL.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade ESV
180 Posts
Not to mention one more thing that can stay on and drain a battery overnight. Had a few cars over the years that that happened to.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not to mention one more thing that can stay on and drain a battery overnight. Had a few cars over the years that that happened to.
Were they GM vehicles or much older vehicles. Reason I'm asking is my old Nissan Maxima which I drove in college (which btw my sister is using now in college) used to have a battery save feature. I used to see it in action when I used to wash and detail the car, if the dome light was on or the light on the door panel or trunk light, for about 3 to 5 minutes they would cut off in order not to drain the battery. This was 15 years ago in 2000. I know GM can tend to be behind in some areas but you mean to tell me there is no battery save feature in the Escalade?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts