Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'06 STS V8 RWD - Black Raven/Cashmere - no ACC
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the attached file..

it's a page I got from the STS Navigation Manual...

Any one got his glass tinted and GPS is still working?

ciao

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
i have had a 2000 DTS tinted, and a 2003 CTS tinted, both with nav, ive never had any problems with the tint, sometimes I notice though that it will say I am on the road right next to the road I am acutally on. It occasionally happens, and for the amount I use my navigation, is not something that I am bothered by in any way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting...

What about Johnson tinting and Ziebart ?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I have seen "mirror" like tint cause problems. Most conventional dark tint is okay but the heavy silver type will cause problems. The one I remember was on a Deville and I actually relocated the antenna from the trunk to underneath the IP trim and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ewill3rd said:
I have seen "mirror" like tint cause problems. Most conventional dark tint is okay but the heavy silver type will cause problems. The one I remember was on a Deville and I actually relocated the antenna from the trunk to underneath the IP trim and it works like a charm.

Yea but I read somewhere in this forum that one guy got his glass tinted but with a transparent one.. Suddenly navigation stops working..

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
Looks good on the Silver ones too...:)

As stated, use non-metallic to avoid the issues.

My ceramic tint had 0 effect.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hmm... i'll try to avoid metallic

but ok.. let's say I went there to Ziebart or whatever and I chose this non-metallic tint... is there a way I can check if it interferes with GPS before they put it?
(u know, when they put it u don't want to remove it and lose your money)

·
Registered
516 Posts
[LEFT said:
ascariSTS[/LEFT]] is there a way I can check if it interferes with GPS before they put it?
Well here's the deal:

A) Your tint provider will have literature that says specifically that the film they use will not interfere with GPS, Cell or window integrated antenna's (i.e. AM/FM). Not to mention they do this for a living and know what you need when you specify it and your vehicle. It's not like this is anything new to them. It is on them as long as you specify what you need (non-metallic).

B) You pay more for non-metallic for that express reason which is why they have it in the first place. Metallic actually does a better job of UV protection but non is more expensive to avoid the shielding issue. It is a basic issue and not new or specific to your car. It's like knowing whether to be seated in smoking or non...

C) I am currently driving a CTS from the dealer while my vehicle is in for service and the 2006 manual specifically states to use "non-metallic" window film to avoid GPS degradation so GM acknowledges which film to use.

D) Dude, look at the pictures of my car...all of us gave you good advice...

E) Go get your tint done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh yea :(

my car brand new one and i coverd all the glasses with solar guard tinting and i didnt check for the signal before i put it :(

anhy how they changed my DVD(navigation unit) and they got me new one but i still get the cross sign.

the middile east delar in DUBAI called me and asked me if the glass is coverd or not, specially the front one!!!

he said this for sure will interfere the GPS signal and also he said there is an antena for STS that you can use for getting the signal>>>so i am still searching about soultion??

did any one heard about STS antena and can some one ask about ib the US cuz i am sure the delear here in SAUDI ARABIA doesnt know about this :)

becuase he doesnt know about the effect of windows tinting on GPS signal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and he is the one who gave me a coupon for windows tinting???!!!!! :thepan:

so pls tell me, do i have 2 remove all the tinting on the my car ??? or from the front???

i just get my car now before 15 mins of my replay and i come here 2 share this with u

:(

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would think your best best is to have the tint re-done in non-metallic. I would hope they would cut you a deal as you already paid once.

Granted the final liability is yours but both the dealer and the tint company could/should have asked or specified what you needed. It's not as if there isn't a lot of tint done in Saudi and the interference can effect more than GPS.

As for the antenna, the only external antenna on the vehicle is the XM/OnStar antenna located on the rear roof line. There are no others that I have heard of for external reception nor would I want anything else installed. Plus any additional installations certainly would cost more than having the tint re-done wouldn't it?

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
at last my problem is solved :)

i just removed the front glass tinting========only the front and it worked.

for those who have tinting on their windows and they dont have any problems can they tell me what type of tinting they are using>?

or how i will know if i put new tinting it will not cause the same problem?

:p

Cajonkev======thanx alot for caring man :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
husme2000 said:
at last my problem is solved :)

i just removed the front glass tinting========only the front and it worked.

for those who have tinting on their windows and they dont have any problems can they tell me what type of tinting they are using>?

or how i will know if i put new tinting it will not cause the same problem?

:p

Cajonkev======thanx alot for caring man :)

Glad to hear that.. hope it will stay consistent..

btw.. i'm the one you called yesterday when you were with the agent (suhail) :D

·
Registered
516 Posts
All due to that little box mounted up behind the mirror...

Glad it worked out so easily and thanks for letting everyone know!

Lots of folks care and help out greatly around here, that's what "community" is all about! Thanks for the nice words though...:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts