Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some testing and brainstorming with dannboss and Whisler151 (2 great guys to deal with BTW) it's been determined that the 04-05 CTS-V's needs the big passenger side axle to stop the wheel hop.
The 06-07 CTS-V's need a small drivers side axle to stop the wheel hop.
The trick is to vary the size from side to side as much as possible to break up the harmonics that cause the wheel hop.
The 04-05's came with small axles on both sides so a big axle on the passenger side does the trick.
The 06-07's came with big axles on both sides so it needs a smaller axle on the drivers side to stop the wheel hop.

We'll test this theory out on whisler151's car in a couple weeks (or sooner) but it should work great.

I sent Whisler151 a big axle for the passenger side and it did nothing for wheel hop because the OEM axle was pretty close to the same size as the big 300m axle he put in.
I'll either send him an 04 axle to put in the drivers side or I'll just send him one of the new 300m small axles when they get done.

I have both small drivers side and big passenger side axles in work right now so in a couple weeks they will both be ready.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
your assuming the 05 car hasn't had it's axles replaced....many, including me have the upgraded 06' axles and I have an 05'....maybe you should try the driver side, because with the stock big axles and one bigger bar on the driver side wheel hop is gone for me.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It works better having a big and small on opposite sides.
I'll make small drivers side and big passenger side axles.
I'll just need to know what axles you to make the right decision.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
your assuming the 05 car hasn't had it's axles replaced....many, including me have the upgraded 06' axles and I have an 05'....maybe you should try the driver side, because with the stock big axles and one bigger bar on the driver side wheel hop is gone for me.
It doesnt matter which side the new axle is on. All you need are two axles that are different diameters. Dannboss put the larger Gforce axle on the passenger side and it fixed the hop for him. All (in theory) I need is a thinner 04-05 like axle.

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
Then let's start trading axles. I have an 05, any 06-07 guys wanna trade lol

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
I guess what I'm saying is the gforce axle isn't big enough then....cause I have the 06 axle on the pass side and a hendrix axle on the driver side...it's hard to tell the difference in size between the two, but you can tell...I'm just saying it works with both big axles.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Then let's start trading axles. I have an 05, any 06-07 guys wanna trade lol
LOL I thought the same thing. We still have Dannboss' stock passenger axle. We may swap it in and see if the theory works. The problem is finding time when both of our schedules match up. The axle swap goes very smoothly with two people.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I guess what I'm saying is the gforce axle isn't big enough then....cause I have the 06 axle on the pass side and a hendrix axle on the driver side...it's hard to tell the difference in size between the two, but you can tell...I'm just saying it works with both big axles.
I'll post pictures shortly with comparison between the sizes.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My drivers side axle will be a bit smaller then the stock axle but made of 300m.
I want to get some weight out of it to make the variation between the 2 sides more noticable.
My passenger side axle is plenty big.
I think if you had a smaller axle on the drivers side it would work even better.
It's not only the weight variations but the material variations play a large roll in it as well.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL I thought the same thing. We still have Dannboss' stock passenger axle. We may swap it in and see if the theory works. The problem is finding time when both of our schedules match up. The axle swap goes very smoothly with two people.
It would work great if I sent you a drivers side 04-05 axle.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
1,048 Posts
so your saying 2 large upgraded axels will not fix wheel hop?

And also I can trade my 05 axle for a 07 v axle and wheel hop on both cars will be eliminated?

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)
967 Posts
i thought i read somewhere that switching axles between the 05 and 06 did nothing ?

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 | 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
315 Posts
Thanks for the technical support throughout the process too Chris. It helped. I just uploaded pictures to photobucket, and Whisler151 will be composing a post including all of the pics.

There has to be something to the different sized shafts, because his hop wasn't fixed at all. For clarification, my wheel hop was eliminated from launch and rolling start. It does mildly hop in the rain, and right before the 1-2 shift. Overall, 90% improvement.

The install goes smooth until you have to put it all back together, and then it is a lesson in physics. A good word of advice is to get the lower control arm bolt in first to hold the hub assembly, and then maneuver it until you can get the rest in. You may also have to bolt one to get another in, and then unbolt the original to get another one set. It is a puzzle. You can figure it out. Any question on the install, please read the Gforce Axle Review post. It has many valuable tips.

You can also PM me or Whisler151.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
1,048 Posts
pics look good, but im lost.

I read a thread that whisler elimintaed hop, but now it says in the original post that it didnt and he need a 05 axles on the drivers side?

Did you guys find a cure or are you still working on it?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
pics look good, but im lost.

I read a thread that whisler elimintaed hop, but now it says in the original post that it didnt and he need a 05 axles on the drivers side?

Did you guys find a cure or are you still working on it?
I did NOT cure hop on my 2007. The Gforce axle we installed on Dannboss' car DID cure 90% of the hop.

On the LS2 Vs, using the aftermarket axle was like replacing it with a stock one. It was pretty damn close to the same size. What we are thinking now, is that the LS2 Vs need a smaller axle on the driver side. In reality, it really doesnt matter which side, i'd prefer having the thicker one on the passenger because it is longer.

The next step now that we think we know what the problem is, is for Gforce to send me one of his new smaller diameter driver axles. If that doesn't work then eff it. I'll just go back to less grippy tires and my hop is gone. I was hoping I could have sticky tires and no wheel hop.

·
Registered
NONE
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did NOT cure hop on my 2007. The Gforce axle we installed on Dannboss' car DID cure 90% of the hop.

On the LS2 Vs, using the aftermarket axle was like replacing it with a stock one. It was pretty damn close to the same size. What we are thinking now, is that the LS2 Vs need a smaller axle on the driver side. In reality, it really doesnt matter which side, i'd prefer having the thicker one on the passenger because it is longer.

The next step now that we think we know what the problem is, is for Gforce to send me one of his new smaller diameter driver axles. If that doesn't work then eff it. I'll just go back to less grippy tires and my hop is gone. I was hoping I could have sticky tires and no wheel hop.
I'm sure your hop would be gone like dannboss's if you put an 04-05 axle in your drivers side to go with our big axle on the passenger side, then your setup would the same as his.
But the drivers axle I'm making will work even beter since it will be a bit smaller then the factory 04-05 axles, the difference between the 2 sides should work great.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
1,048 Posts
Im no engineer but ive been around cars long enough, and im just not seeing how a smaller axle on the drivers side compared to the passanger side would cure wheel hop.

lenght? any one want to explane the theory?

I think having tighter U joints and bearings in the axle would help keep it tight ...

Either way keep testing bros...

·
Registered
Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, Red 08 CTS4 for winter
475 Posts
Torsional rigidity differential avoids the harmonic twist and recover between the right and left side to avoid wheel hop. Since the return rates are asynchronous, you get more of a chatter than wheel hop in low traction scenarios. The other way is the Corvette approach (up until Cadillac shared the drive shaft approach with Chevy)to have slight different valving controls on the right and left side on the shocks so that return and bounce are different. The 04 Z06 had this added and the older ones really bounced.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts