Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17' 6MT ATS Carbon Black, 09' Malibu, 08' Infinity G35x, 04' Ion Redline,
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the the downfalls of having a Carbon Black Pack car is that it looks ready for the track but its really not. On top of that I really never liked the brakes They are extremely front biased and the pedal was always just "okay" the car has always stopped good however. After a track day and cooking the rears with all the nannys off I decided it was time to improve the look and functions of the rear. This is all just an GM parts bin raid but it works and fits well.

if any one wants help assembling their own kit shoot me an PM.
193546641_10225883516258765_5952248910604984643_n.jpg
194760763_10225883516738777_7866919344226615234_n.jpg
193668233_10225883516658775_729971021472556162_n.jpg

·
Registered
2017 ATS Premium Luxury
106 Posts
Very interested as well. Any adjustment needed to the AS module to account for changing the F/R bias?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interested as well. Any adjustment needed to the AS module to account for changing the F/R bias?

DId you mean ABS? I highly dobut that it will I can confirm after my next track day. The abs on most newer cars is looking at wheel speed so I don't see an issue. Imho the factory rear brakes were undersized for the car and its weight. Instead of the cars brake bias being F:90 R:10 the car feels more like F:80 R:20 and doesn't just nose dive under hard breaking.

-This should help keep the fronts from doing to much work.

-Keep the rears from over heating

-Keep braking more consistent and reduced fade

- Lastly this opens up significantly more brake pad options for the rear. No one made a brake bad for the rear.

·
Registered
2017 ATS Premium Luxury
106 Posts
DId you mean ABS? I highly dobut that it will I can confirm after my next track day. The abs on most newer cars is looking at wheel speed so I don't see an issue. Imho the factory rear brakes were undersized for the car and its weight. Instead of the cars brake bias being F:90 R:10 the car feels more like F:80 R:20 and doesn't just nose dive under hard breaking.

-This should help keep the fronts from doing to much work.

-Keep the rears from over heating

-Keep braking more consistent and reduced fade

- Lastly this opens up significantly more brake pad options for the rear. No one made a brake bad for the rear.
Yeah, stupid phone autocorrect.

Older cars had physical proportioning valves to determine F/R brake bias, but many newer cars have it integrated with the ABS module and can change the bias through reprogramming. If you change the braking power on a given axle too much from stock by increasing swept area, rotor diameter, or clamping force, you’d have to make an adjustment to the brake bias to keep things balanced. If you don’t, you’ll likely see the rear brakes lock up more often, resulting in much more frequent ABS activation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, stupid phone autocorrect.

Older cars had physical proportioning valves to determine F/R brake bias, but many newer cars have it integrated with the ABS module and can change the bias through reprogramming. If you change the braking power on a given axle too much from stock by increasing swept area, rotor diameter, or clamping force, you’d have to make an adjustment to the brake bias to keep things balanced. If you don’t, you’ll likely see the rear brakes lock up more often, resulting in much more frequent ABS activation.

I highly doubt the ATS has a proportioning/metering valve whose bias is controlled by the ABS pump. However it is common practice to now integrate proportioning/metering valve into the ABS block but the bias is NOT changeable via programming.

I did a quick shake down on some B-roads over the weekend, and blew through half a tank in about 40 mins of driving. No rear lock up all, it considerably helped brake fade as well and I purposely got things nice and hot. I'm using street pads all the way around with front pads that don't like heat at all. I'll report back after dropping in my track pads for the track day on the 25th.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Performance 2.0 6M
39 Posts
I’m really liking the idea of this brake setup. I’ve just been doing Autocross where the brakes don’t really get too hot, but would like to get more into HPDE and track days soon.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Performance 2.0 6M
39 Posts
Oh, almost forgot, you have any idea what minimum wheel size is? I have a set of 18s but throw the stock 17s on sometimes for track days.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, almost forgot, you have any idea what minimum wheel size is? I have a set of 18s but throw the stock 17s on sometimes for track days.
They will not clear the factory 17's maybe some others as you only need about a 1/4" more room

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post track day pictures, The New brake setup was perfect. The rears no longer overheat to the point of being unless and shifting all the burden to the fronts.

I had alot of stuff done between this and the last time I went last year, so laptime comparisons are useless but driving 9/10's I was able to adequately stay with an 997.1 911 and I would say skill wise we were matched. We had nearly identical lines and he couldn't run away from me or vice versa. Ultimately after 8.5 Laps I had to back off as I saw my engine temps briefly peak at 239. (Ambient was high 80's and 100% humidity) Half a lap to cool down and dropped very quickly to below 220.

Main concerns Long term are Coolant (high off 239) & Trans Temps (High of 270).

Coolant temps are easily fixed via a dedicated Oil cooler that will take a substantial load off the engine coolant.

Trans temps.... That will require fancy fittings, transfer pump, and a cooler. And that is not something I want to commit too for a vehicle that will in all honesty only be tracked 2-3 times a year.

Below Pictures are after a cool down lap and 2-3 minutes sitting in the paddock, I pretty much immediately Turn on the ac, open the hood, stick a blower fan in the front of the car and one on the trans for 10 minutes, the both front rotors.

Fronts

Money Shots

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pictures of modified dust shield?
You really need to only take off the lip and square the edges around the mounting tabs. I used the rotor as a template, then used a small body saw and followed the contour of the oem rotor. Then I cleaned it up and hit it with some black POR.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
313 Posts
Below Pictures are after a cool down lap and 2-3 minutes sitting in the paddock, I pretty much immediately Turn on the ac, open the hood, stick a blower fan in the front of the car and one on the trans for 10 minutes, the both front rotors.
Money Shots
Can I ask why you turn the AC on? What effect does this have?

And they are taking pictures of cars on tracks now? Wow...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can I ask why you turn the AC on? What effect does this have?

It forces all the radiators fans to be on full high.

And yes photorats typically are posted at major tracks, they shoot you and offer to sell them to you.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
313 Posts
It forces all the radiators fans to be on full high.

And yes photorats typically are posted at major tracks, they shoot you and offer to sell them to you.
Thanks for the AC feedback. I guess that makes sense, but I don't know how much additional heat (if any) is cased by the compressor drag.

And I know about those photographers, because they do the same for motorcycle riders (which makes sense to me). That they would do it for cars seems sorta silly to me.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,705 Posts
What do you mean by "now"? There's been a photographer at every HPDE I've attended since I went to my first event in 2000.

And I know about those photographers, because they do the same for motorcycle riders (which makes sense to me). That they would do it for cars seems sorta silly to me.
:unsure: Why would it be any more silly to take pics of cars than it would be to take pics of motorcycles? Seriously, I'm scratching my head here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts