Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently hit a tire tread last night on I-75. Radiator is leaking, so trying to be cautious and have a tow truck coming tomorrow morning to the house to take it to a body shop. I say "apparently" because I never saw the sucker, and there's barely noticeable tire tread imprinting on the lower part of the bumper. Needless to say, I WON'T be taking her to the Woodward Dream Cruise now. I'll be in my 2.0L Focus ... whoop-ti-doo!

Are there any precautions I should be concerned with on towing (other than putting it in neutral and releasing the e-brake)?

·
Registered
CTS-V SERIES
700 Posts
Yea first off make sure they use a "T HOOK" whick hooks to the frame of the car and not around the control arm. "T HOOKS" are good because the frame is the best place to hook to so it dont bend anything. ("Just make sure they hook to the frame in the front") And Then depending on the "FLAT BED" you may need ply wood to put under the front wheels to lift the car up so the bumper does'nt drag. But thats up too you since the front bumpers getting painted anyway.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum/Ebony
501 Posts
How about requesting a flatbed?

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Did the Maggie HEx survive? Why not just buy a new radiator from Luke, pull the two bolts that hold the front fascia on and just take that to the body shop?

·
Registered
2007 Yukon Denali / 2009 G8 GT
347 Posts
Randy, you gotta get'er fixed for Woodward. There's no excuses. Once running you can work on a new lower valance but you have to have her at Woodward. I have been planning to get a ride in that beast since last year.

You have time, get'er done!

Oh yeah, I had mine picked up out of my driveway and I recall requesting a flatbed. That should get and if that T hook works, request that too. Just tell them you need it babied and I'm sure they will work with you.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
33 Posts
Cadillac roadside told me they always bring a flatbed for the V but you should mention it just to be sure. Also, Cadillac roadside would only tow me to the nearest Caddy dealer and I wanted to go to another dealer closer to my house so I had to use my AAA roadside.

·
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did the Maggie HEx survive? Why not just buy a new radiator from Luke, pull the two bolts that hold the front fascia on and just take that to the body shop?
Maggie HEx seems to be okay along with reservoir. I really need to take a better look under there, though. Radiator leaks from way down low near the driver's-side resting point.

You know Rick, that's a great idea; I'd like nothing better to do than just that very thing! I need the insurance adjuster/inspector/whatever guy to see it so they believe me, I guess. Don't think I can get him out to the house. Man, I got up at 2:30 this morning 'cause this thing's got me so sick to my stomach.

Thanks to everybody for your help and suggestions. And, Ryan, it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Blocks of wood and a rag under the bumper to keep from scratching...
Dead on, and also request a flatbed as was mentioned by others.
If the flatbed driver does not have wood 2" X 4"s, tell him to get some, or find some in your garage, as you cannot load the V without such and not scratch the front lip. I forget the exact loading method, but the good wrecker drivers know how to utulize the e-brake during the process to keep the front-end from getting too low during the load process. If you have lowered your car, do not offer this information, as some Towing Companies think this fact releases them from liability.
Also, hit him with a $20.00 or more, as you want to ensure that the same professionalism is exhibited when the V gets unloaded.
And lastly, log your mileage, and clear all non-essential items out of the car such as loose change, radar detector, etc...
Sorry about your mishap, but I am sure it could have been much worse.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Randy, i guess I'll look for you at Spectre Werks in your other car(?),

:(

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Yeah, the flatbed is a must. And get AAA+. It gives you flexibility with added mileage and possibly getting nearer to a dealership of your choice. Plus, you may need to get towed off a track of some sort. You want Cadillac picking you up from there?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Randy....that sux man......soooo sorry.

When I had my diff/axle failure at Milan.....(did I just say that??), I had a flat bed take it to McInerney's. They were VERY careful and treated her well.

Look on the positive side.....it could've been WAY worse.....like something thru the windshield. She'll be better very soon.

·
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the guy had a flatbed and didn't have any wood, but he actually suggested that I get some (if I had it, which I did :)). Took it six miles and the charges were $290. :eek: 'Bout had a cow! Looks like insurance won't pick up the tab, either since I hit the tread while it was laying in the road. Seems pretty stupid to me, too. Makes me wonder what things laying in the road I can hit and be covered and those that I can't. :confused: Waiting for the estimate as we speak. You guys have been great. I can sure sympathize with those who've gone through damage to their car now.

Excuse me, I think I'm gonna hurl. :ack:

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Looks like insurance won't pick up the tab, either since I hit the tread while it was laying in the road. Seems pretty stupid to me, too. Makes me wonder what things laying in the road I can hit and be covered and those that I can't.
Damn Insurance Companies, their motto should be:
"We're great, until you need us."

·
Registered
2007 Yukon Denali / 2009 G8 GT
347 Posts
You know Randy, GM will tow a car for no charge for any reason. They may require it go to a GM dealer so you may be out of luck and I know it is too late but I thought I would mention it.
$290 seems ridiculous for a 6 mile trip.

Well, any word yet. Tell'em you need it running by COB Friday so you can take it to Woodward. I will call you in the next day or two to see if we can match plans. My wife may go to a friend's so the kids can play so I may be kid-free or I may bring a friend with his 3 1/2 yr old too. We will see. Kid-free is preferred but I will let you know.
Ryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts