Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I have experienced cracking after years of using Armor All and No Touch Tire Foam. (on my tires that I had for 9 years, garage kept) They contain petrolium distilates. I am now using a product called "No Touch Wet 'N' Protect" It says specifically it is a non-cracking formula and streak free to boot! It is a clear liquid spray in a can just like the Tire Foam but contains NO PETROLIUM DISTILATES. I am using up the Armor all on the dash and rad hoses. At least with the hoses, I will be replacing them long before they will actually crack. I probably shouldn't use the Armor All on the dash though? I suppose if a person was really worried about cracking, they could just spray silicone spray on the tires. Fifty years ago, people would rub brake fluid on their tires to get a shine!

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Meguiar's purple stuff, no mess, and it lasts weeks not days!

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
what i know, if it makes the tires shine-n-gloss, it makes the rubber crack.

Armor All on the dash? i think not. cracks the dash & clouds the windshield. try using leather conditioner there .. non-silicone, like Eagle One http://www.autogeek.net/leatcon.html made of lanolin, mink oil and neatfoot oil,
also can try pure Bick4 (almost pure lanolin) on both vinyl and leather. "Don't use any petroleum, wax or silicone products ..... This will choke the leather and shorten their life!!

silicone dries and cracks rubber, and so do petroleum products.

u need more convincing on NOT using silicone or petrolum items? go to the Jaguar site and see what they have done over the last 50 yrs.

u can also see: http://www.catskill-moc.com/leathercare.html
then click on the Bick 4

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Stealth, so what you are saying, is use no silicone? Even the Caddy dealership sprayed it on my CV boots while it was on a hoist!? They spray it on the door weatherstripping also.

OK, the other day I bought a leather care product by Meguiar's called "Gold Glass Rich Leather cleaner/conditioner." It did a nice job on the interior, didn't dry wet or slimy, etc. I never considered using it on the dash, I'll try it, thanks for the tip. PS it has aloe and moisturizers to preserve leather and something for UV protection.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Spraying it on the weather strips and CV boots are OK, that is used to lubricate and prevent it from getting wet, rather than to moisturize it..... It shouldnt hurt anything......

Using it on the CV boots is a good idea..... Their rough and tough, and the silicone will prevent water from intruding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts