Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Escalade with the navigation head unit (This unit will play dvds up front)It does not have the Rear entertainment center. I was wondering if there was some sort of adapter that would allow me to install some aftermarket headrest tvs. I have searched but found nothing.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
43 Posts
I have an 08 with factory nav/dvd also and didnt have the rear entertainment center. My buddy is a professional installer and recommended the Alpine 10.2" flip down dvd player...said it is the best one on the market right now. He installed it last week and it works awesome. It plays through the interior speakers and wireless headphones (I got 4 of them). Looks like it was installed from the factory except much better quality!

·
Registered
Escalade
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont like the flip downs they get in the way of me seeing out the back window. I just want to hook up the head rest monitors to the factory navigation dvd player. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Escalade ESV, Range Rover Overfinch 480S, E500 4Matic
47 Posts
You could pick up a Lockpick 550 and use the video outputs to connect headrest monitors. I purchased the Vizualogics setup from Crutchfield's for my Range Rover. It was a perfect match to the factory headrest form a leather and color perspective. The nice part is that I still have my factory headrests so when I sell, I can put them back in. Installation is as simple as simple can be, seriously, it's a total DIY job.

·
Registered
Escalade
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks That is what I was looking for. The lockpic 550 should work I hope Will it take the signal from the factory DVD and send it to the rear headrest monitors? If so that is just what I need.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV, Range Rover Overfinch 480S, E500 4Matic
47 Posts
Thanks That is what I was looking for. The lockpic 550 should work I hope Will it take the signal from the factory DVD and send it to the rear headrest monitors? If so that is just what I need.
Yes it will. :) (that is what I was told, never tried. You should verify with the fine folks that manufacture the unit for additional peace of mind.
Good luck and post pics once you get it installed!

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
44 Posts
I suppose you can use Y splitters. But most monitors come with a "brain" which directs the signal to the various monitors and I believe are grounded to reduce engine noise (which doesn't work in my case).

If anyone had engine noise/interference in their rear monitors and found a solution, please advise. Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
09 Escalade
33 Posts
I suppose you can use Y splitters. But most monitors come with a "brain" which directs the signal to the various monitors and I believe are grounded to reduce engine noise (which doesn't work in my case).

I picked up a set of Onfair group D 9" black DVD headrest. They look great, a perfect match to the center vented leather on our escalades. I connected as instructed and they work perfect.
Now i picked up a GMX 550 and want to connect to the headrests. Just cant figure out how it will work being able to install a DVD in any of the 3 and watch on the others. Any insight ?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
44 Posts
Not sure as I have an aftermarket nav/dvd. Do you want to play two dvd's simultaneously? Most monitors should have at least 2 or more input sources. The GMX550 has av in and av out. Don't know if it uses the wire harness for dvd video/audio or uses the av in connection.

If it uses the wire harness for dvd, my guess is you can run a dvd player into the av in of the lockpick.

If the lockpick uses the av connections for dvd, you probably will have to buy a splitter or another "brain". But there will probably be interference if both dvd players are playing simultaneously.

I'm sure you can run the dvd player straight to the monitors brain (provided there is 2+ inputs), however that setup wouldn't allow you to watch a dvd thats playing in the rear to the front. Im sure there are several people here who have a similar set up. I may have made it more confusing. Wish I couldve been more helpful. Good luck.

c12ack

·
Registered
09 Escalade
33 Posts
The problem is all 3 ( 2 headrests plus the deck ) can play DVD's on there own. So its hard to connect without back feed; unless yes I use some sort of brain. All 3 only have one input and one output RCA connection. I wanted to be able to install a DVD in front and play in the back. But if I connect this way the two DVD players in the rear cant talk. O well I guess the AV in and out will not be used on the 550 lol. Thanks for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts