1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
I only use Meguiar's!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yes, make sure you get applicator pads. 99c at autozone.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You still need something to apply it with.... Ive never heard of putting the wax/polish right on the buffer.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya, my buddy from work told me about the 'kick it up a notch' technique for applying meguiars. He said first he applies the stuff, then there's another step? I know the orbital buffer is last. He also talked about the meguiars spray that you use in between waxes. When the spray become difficult to remove, it's time for another wax.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well have to let someone else handle this, i dont have my masters in detailing.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
I try to use anything with carnuba in it. (except smarties candy, check the ingrediants!) True carnuba wax is extracted from a Brazilian plant that extracts the stuff to protect itself from the harmful rays of the sun. Plus, it lasts a long time trhough carwashes in my experience.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Orbital buffer, Faster than doing it by hand, but faster at screwing it up, if you have ONE small speck of dirt on the pad. As far as application methods, Zaino bro's say to put it on, top surfaces-as the wind blows(front to back), sides, up and down. I tried their method, it seemed to look a little better. Some, even say to put the wax on with your hand(NO RAG) just your hand. I haven't done that. Just make sure every thing that touches the paint is CLEAN. I don't have a masters in detailing, but, I got a "first place award" at a car show, with the '69 Camaro. All done by hand, no swirl marks, clear as can be! BTW 100% cotton (Cannon Towels-White Made in the USA) work for me. Good Luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whenever i wax my car I start with turtle wax color coded scratch remover then i put a layer of meguires gold on top. Makes my car look pretty damn good. Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If you dont have a terry cloth, just make sure it is 100% cotton and its clean.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
elwesso said:
If you dont have a terry cloth, just make sure it is 100% cotton and its clean.
That's what I use on my cars, just terrycloth to wash and soft cotton to buff. I wouldn't use an Orbital or any machine because if the cloth is not "turned" often or changed, I would think it might scratch at that kind of RPM. All by hand for me.:cool:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Yes. I would also suggest when washing them, make sure its not with a bunch of other things, because dirt can get into them. May consider washing by hand.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys for the tips. Hey, how bout that Zaino was I keep hearing about? I was reading their site and all the testimonials at the corvette forum, and it seems the "Z-5" compound is the way to go. Couple guys said they first used the Z-1, then Z-5 finished off by Z-2 and Z-6.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Chuck C said:
thanks guys for the tips. Hey, how bout that Zaino was I keep hearing about? I was reading their site and all the testimonials at the corvette forum, and it seems the "Z-5" compound is the way to go. Couple guys said they first used the Z-1, then Z-5 finished off by Z-2 and Z-6.

Chuck, if you get Zaino then order the ZFX, the ZFX replaces the need to use Z-1, this turns Zaino into a one step product, and ZFX allows the Zaino polishes to shine brighter and gives a harder finish. Meguiar's makes very good products, our shops used them for over 10 years, the only problem is that your protection does not last too long

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
hcvone