Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. After just starting the car will sometimes get an "Engine overheating, idle engine" message when there is no possible way it could be overheating.
2. I have gotten the "Speed limited to......" message but with random speeds including: 1, 26, 80, 90, 127, and a few others I can't remember. I have pictures of some of these because it truly is unbelievable.

I think I have pretty much gotten every error message possible at one time or another all unsubstantiated by any hard facts or tests, for instance it will say low range or low fuel but have a full tank, or check coolant level but be fine when I check it, or check gas cap, etc.

Now I have a high idle at startup around 2,000 to 2,500 rpms and this continues sometimes nonstop throughout the drive which sometimes causes some pretty hard shifting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
619 Posts
First, check for codes, see the stickey above to learn how, then post the codes and their definitions here.
after that disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for a few seconds, this will reset all the modules in the car.
I would also suggest to give the throttle body a good cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,319 Posts
I'll second that ^^^^^^^, especially the TB cleaning for the high idle.

·
2001 Deville base
26 Posts
1. Voltage regulator for the instrument readings. Either clean or replace. .I use electronic connector cleaner, the tool that has saved me a thousand dollars.

2. I might also clean the connectors in the instrument cluster--two of mine were fine after a good cleaning.

2. For high idle, I would clean the throttle body. I would also clean/test/replace the MAF sensor. .

If it's just the MAF sensor and voltage regulator it's a cheap fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts