Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost a week ago, I managed to somehow lose my only set of keys between parking in my driveway and changing out of my suit.

The chances for finding them appear more remote by the day. :mad:

So at the dealer, it's $30 for the ignition key (PK-2), and another $44 for the info from GM, and I guess another $20 or so for the round key.

When a dealer does these, does the key at least have a Cadillac logo rather than the GM logo?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,732 Posts
Depends on the dealership and what they have in stock.

The key head logo is sort of "I love me" stuff - try a local automotive locksmith for better pricing.

......... or Amazon.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The $30 is actually the local any locksmith would commit to--but I have to have the key for them to make it.

Another wanted $50 just to duplicate the key, and one wouldn't even discuss it unless I came in in person!

In hindsight, I should have just got a non-functional copy made just in case, so it could be used to cut a replacement if this happened before I got my hands on replacements . . .

I had assumed they were locked in the car. I already had Hagerty sending someone to handle the lockout when I discovered that on top of this, while the door was locked, it was not fully closed . . . sigh

come to think of it, is this something that happens just walking in in this day and age, or is there still a wait for the GM info?

·
Administrator
67,732 Posts
Yeah ...... I went right past the "only set of keys" part. Making an original from scratch is usually dealership territory.

The dealer should be able to do the work on the spot. I think the VIN is the ticket. Some dealers will want to see your license, registration, and/or title (ownership certification).

Bummer. Of course, as soon as you spend the family fortune for a new set, the lost ones will turn up.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm expecting that, too . . . but it will be a week tomorrow, so . . .

In the meantime, I got four tile pro's for key chains that supposedly have a 400 foot range ($100 for the set), and another thin one for my wallet with a 200 foot range ($30).

And when I sent a daughter to grab my wallet a few days ago and she couldn't find it, I set it off to show her.

It wasn't nearly as loud as I suspected.

Because, it turned out, my wallet had fallen into the butter dish--again; it recently spent a week there while we looked.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grr.

I just went in, and the dealer says that due to the recent strike, a week to ten days to get in, as no-one in town has them. Since changing the title seems to be not an option under the new software, it's probably time to start a separate thread with a new topic (I have the codes for the keys!)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The local Cadillac dealer told me a week to ten days to get a blank in on a PK-2, and that no other GM dealers ion town had them.

I've found a website in Britain that can cut keys from the codes, but I don't want to wait that long, either . . . :rolleyes:

Is this something a regular locksmith should be able to do from the factory key codes?

Or, I have a parts car ('97 Eldorado) with a working key and cylinder. How much effort would it be to pull the cylinder? (autozone's instructions begin with,"remove steering wheel")

(I suppose the ultimate solution would involve mounting the power telescoping and tilt steering mechanism from the '02 DHS waiting to scrap, but . . .)

hawk, now unable to drive his Fleetwood an entire week!

·
Administrator
67,732 Posts
To keep things in perspective, which car are we trying to cut keys for ? The "Cadillac" possibilities are endless. When we home in on the vehicle model/year then we can move this thread from the chit-chat lounge to the correct vehicle forum.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the 1993 Fleetwood, which uses a PK-2/single sided six cut VATS. (As far as I can tell, all of GM was that way at the time, which is why I put it here, rather than the model [although I put the trunk-crawling question in the RWD section).

The potential cylinder and keydonor is a 1995 Eldorado.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best thing to do is replace the ignition lock cylinder. The new lock will come with a template for cutting new VATS keys. The only problem is going to be figuring out which VATS key blank you need to allow the vehicle to start and run. There were 15 possibilities. Your local GM Dealer or a good locksmith should be able to plug into the system and determine which blank you need. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I already had the resistor value, so that part was easy.

I took the cylinder out of the 95, but the wiring was to hacked up, and almost broken through--and it gave out during installation!

So I coughed up the $35 at O'Reily's for a new cylinder.

I disassembled the molex-like connector at the end to make it easier to pull through; it actually has a clip.

For anyone finding this in the future, a hanger turned out to be perfect to pull wire through with--small enough and stiff enough, and I could hook the end with pliers to pull a wire back the other way.

I still haven't managed to get the pins all the way back into the molex :rolleyes: , but put a pair of 4.7k resistors in parallel on the old plug. (at the locksmith: "Do you have the car with you?" 'Yes'. Pauses, doubletake--"how did you manage that?" )

I need to take apart the steering wheel again--the horn doesn't work, and the airbag light is on, but that's in another thread. (maybe that's why I thought I had already put the final info on this one).\

And now if I could find the connector to pair the new remotes . . . and find some kind of film to put on the door key blanks that came with my pk2s, to scratch off on the tumblers and file . . . adhesive cellophane would be perfect . . .)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts