Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked my dealer for the On-Star digital upgrade now.

Just a couple questions based on what I've seen on the OnStar website (which doesn't say much about what the 05 is capable of).

I have an 05 "base" V8 (no nav etc)

1) Linking with cell phone minutes: How does this work? does the car work on my same phone #, or is it like another number in "family plan"?

2) Turn by Turn: I know you pay additional for this, but assuming you do, is the STS capable of receiving directions? I understand this comes through on the DIC?

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
i heard that all the 2005s have digital on-star.
I have a almost base 2005 v8 and it has digital on-star. just hit the button and see if it works.
1: link minutes u need a verizon plan. the car gets added on for $10 more as a addition phone and gets a number, but has no other features but standard phone plan, no vmail or txting or stuff. its contractless so you can cancel at any time and not pay penalties.
2. turn by turn is for the new units and nav systems, the turn by turn the normal sts has like mine is purely they read the directions to u, turn by turn, and it records in your onstar unit, then u just play the entire thing back each time u need it. it sucked, i canceled that part of it, and keep the secure package they offer.

so in short, you should have digital onstar, add the car as a phone, and it shares into your plan, but screw the nav option, get a gps device. :D

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I do not have digital. I was supposed to get 3 months free with my CPO purchase but it did not work due to analog On-Star. Dealer verified this is the case.

I already have a Garmin, but was hoping to not need it, or not need it as much. Guess I'll keep that around.

Any other features with the "directions and connections" package worth while?

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
na that is just the nav option, past that all the other features are with the basic package, and the verizon phone option is seperate from on-star service, now if you try to use the phone and ur not in a cell range, it will switch to on-star cause that is a sat connection. its nice if u go to the mountians and lack the reseption, but it goes to ur on-star minutes not ur verizon. and sat minutes are much more expensive, but if you dont pre-purchase any, u dont have any to use, u'll just get no signal.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,238 Posts
Turn by turn wasn't available till 2007. If you get the package on 05 and 06 as mentioned you just get a recorded set of directions that you need to replay. I tried it and found it virtually useless so now i just have the basic service.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
not sure, u have to ask the verizon rep through onstar, they know there shit for it. but it cost me almost 15 a month for onstar, and i get little more then that in discount off insurance cause it is a low jack feature, so its free over all.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,238 Posts
My understanding is that you can get a combined minute plan if you have Onstar, since onstar primarily uses the Verizon system. Onstar calling is based on the digital celular system--it is not satelite based. I will suffer outages in areas with no cell service, but since it has significantly greater power it will let you call and recieve in fringe areas were a low powered hand held cell will not.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well dont expect the bluetooth phone to work without the person on the other line hearing magnetic buzzing if you have a GSM phone i.e. t mobile. In 3g mode you may not get the interference with t mobile. They give you a new rear view mirror the microphone in this mirror is not sheilded. Gm will not admitt this I have been dealing with this for months now. GM will tell you to change phones. You also will no longer be able to turn off the electrochromic feature of the mirror what used to be the power button now will only turn the intell beam lfeature on and off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Turn by turn wasn't available till 2007. If you get the package on 05 and 06 as mentioned you just get a recorded set of directions that you need to replay. I tried it and found it virtually useless so now i just have the basic service.

Turn by turn didn't start until 08.. 07 sts doesn't have this feature at least with the Nav.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,238 Posts
Turn by turn didn't start until 08.. 07 sts doesn't have this feature at least with the Nav.
According to the website and the customer service rep, turn by turn is available on the 2007 exc CTS
You're correct that the sefvice didn't start till 08 but 07 is system capable.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,238 Posts
Get it from Onstar--you should be able to push the onstar button in the car and that way they can read all of the vehicle data.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'm up and running... but a little pissed off. Half the reason I did the upgrade was for the handsfree calling as my car doesn't have bluetooth.. got it all activated and asked about how to pair with my Verizon account, and was told they are no longer in that partnership... wtf??!
I can only use OnStar prepaid minutes... and now the onstar website seems to be down so I can't even do that.

Oh well. at least virtual advisor works.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
u call onstar or did u call verizon? cause mine is still active. call onstar and asked to be transferred to verizon rep there. do it through ur system if u can.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was on the system with OnStar. Asked after they finished up the activation how to get it on my Verizon plan.
I may try to call back at some point and see if a different person will give me a different answer, but it seems like they aren't doing it. Maybe if you already had it as such, you can continue?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
July 13, 2009, The OnStar/Verizon combine stopped accepting new customers. Existing accounts will continue but new customers will ony be able to buy minutes from OnStar.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts