Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a current owner of a 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD, but sadly it has recently died with a transfer case/transmission issue. My next car will be an XTS as I would like the additional size because I'm 6'4" and have had two kids since getting the CTS.

I live in Chicago and I am looking at getting a 2018 XTS Luxury. I really want an AWD, I'm just not finding one near me and I need to find one soon. I've read there are some torque issues with the handling on the FWD and I am not sure how it will handle in the snow.

What are your thoughts on FWD vs AWD with this car? Anyone in a snow area with the FWD? How does it handle? Any other thoughts on FWD vs AWD?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
2013 XTS Luxury
85 Posts
I have a 2013 XTS FWD. I live in St. Louis, MO, and go home to the Quad Cities, Iowa on occasion. It gets around great here, but St. Louis doesn't get near the snow as Iowa does but it is VERY hilly here. And because of all the hills, I would like my next Caddy to be AWD. I might keep this one and just get another because I like it so much. Nice to have a spare car and/or when you want to keep one clean etc. I'm almost 6 foot so I get the big car thing. But did you know that the new CTS's are now longer than an XTS?? Look up the numbers online. I was shocked. You might want to get into another CTS especially since you have backseat passengers. Good luck!!

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,956 Posts
While New England winters aren't nearly as bad as what you're used to in Chicago, as long as the snow isn't too deep and you have decent tires, the AWD XTS handles very well.

Having driven a CTS loaner for a week, as nice as it was, there was absolutely no comparison in terms of additional cabin space, quiet ride, and upgraded amenities. If you enjoyed your CTS, you'll really appreciate what the XTS has to offer. I would opt for the highest trim level you can afford, (especially considering the depreciation on any Cadillac) to obtain the most value and comfort. With online sales to help your search, you shouldn't have too difficult a time finding a loaded vehicle at an affordable price-point. Cars are surprisingly inexpensive and easy to ship.

CPO is always recommended AFTER obtaining a Build sheet and Maintenance History from a GM dealer. Do not depend on Carfax for thorough information. A little homework upfront can save you a small fortune in the long run when buying pre-owned.

CCC

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
2,028 Posts
The Hi-Per strut front suspension in the XTS does not have torque steer issues. I assume that’s what you are referring to. A FWD XTS will get you around Chicago and flat Illinois just fine. Plus you won’t have to deal with the rear differential pump and clutch issues that occasionally pop up on these.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
1,040 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm a current owner of a 2008 Cadillac CTS AWD, but sadly it has recently died with a transfer case/transmission issue. My next car will be an XTS as I would like the additional size because I'm 6'4" and have had two kids since getting the CTS.

I live in Chicago and I am looking at getting a 2018 XTS Luxury. I really want an AWD, I'm just not finding one near me and I need to find one soon. I've read there are some torque issues with the handling on the FWD and I am not sure how it will handle in the snow.

What are your thoughts on FWD vs AWD with this car? Anyone in a snow area with the FWD? How does it handle? Any other thoughts on FWD vs AWD?

Thanks!

Ryan
I live in Indiana and my XTS is AWD as was my CT6. I know all about Chicago and where as a FWD will do ok, I would prefer an AWD. If you have to have Park Assist where the car parks itself you will have to go with the FWD.

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
196 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Ryan
I live in Minnesota i wouldn't buy anything that isn't awd or 4x4.

You can get a car dealer to deliver a car to your front door. Then they wont mess with the monthly payment you agree with on phone. I have done it with the 2 vehicles we have know. They drove it up from cities 130 miles from our home no extra charge. I didn't purchase car or put a dollar down, signed papers in my kitchen and gave them down payment. Just filled loan application out online. I did it with 2 different car dealers. Vehicle where i live are 2,000 to 4,000 dollars more then cities. We used to get hotel to get a better deal.
Just ask they will deliver it, you could probably get one delivered from Minneapolis to Chicago.
But if you go with 2 wheel drive i recommend blizzak snow tires.There the most expensive but the best.
You can look up snow tires vs all season. They claim snow tires stop 30% better than all season on snow and ice, i definitely agree. You can Google videos about it they test the tires on a hockey rink

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,781 Posts
You might have to go a little outside of your area. There are plenty of XTS AWD available at dealers here in Michigan. And as mentioned above, if you find a vehicle here, you can ask your dealer to do a trade or try to obtain it. I actually did that with a car in Illinois - coincidentally !

Even though we don't usually have to go out when it's deep snow, all three of our vehicles are all-wheel-drive now. There's just a more competent feel, and it's nice to take off from a lighter stop sign with zero spin - or significantly reduced spin. Is all-wheel-drive an absolute necessity for you? Probably not. With have had many non-all-wheel-drive vehicles. However, it's so much more pleasurable to have all-wheel-drive, that I will not buy anything without all-wheel-drive anymore, unless I move to a different climate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts