Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've purchased my escalade (back in Sept - currently has 7000 miles), no matter WHEN I go out at night I get people flashing their highs at me. Before anyone asks, I do not have my Intellibeam setting on (did not like it), and NO my high beams are NOT on. I naturally flash them back which is like having the sun shined at them. Anyone else have this issue? I've asked dealer about it and they talked to me like I was insane. I'm not making it up. I am very technical (I learn EVERYTHING about ANYTHING I own), and I figured the beams could be lowered / adjusted and maybe their out of alignment?

Just curious if anyone else notices getting flashed (with high beams). :)

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Since I've purchased my escalade (back in Sept - currently has 7000 miles), no matter WHEN I go out at night I get people flashing their highs at me. Before anyone asks, I do not have my Intellibeam setting on (did not like it), and NO my high beams are NOT on. I naturally flash them back which is like having the sun shined at them. Anyone else have this issue? I've asked dealer about it and they talked to me like I was insane. I'm not making it up. I am very technical (I learn EVERYTHING about ANYTHING I own), and I figured the beams could be lowered / adjusted and maybe their out of alignment?

Well.....yes, I had one flash at me when my "highs" were not on....and I suspect that IS going to happen occasionally because the LED lows on this vehicle are amazingly bright...I had the same issue when I was driving my Benz GL with "BI xenon" beams ....the lows were amazingly bright and I occasionally got the "flashes".... i do feel sorry for those facing these bright lights, but....from a selfish position , I love the bright light they provide...particularly for "old eyes" that need more light at night!

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts

You are not blinding anyone tree hugging prius drivers and people who cannot afford a full sized truck are going to hate. The beam pattern is easily recognizable as an Escalade. It looks like nothing else on the road, especially at night. Flash them back and keep on trucking.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
The Lights are DOT approved.

I am guessing people are not used to seeing BiXenon or LED headlamps since the lighting power is much more than a regular halogen light. Some companies like Benz and Audi are working on front lights that shut off a portion of the lighting allowing the on-coming traffic to have better visibility.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hah... Funny. Well, I don't think it is because it is recognizable, I think it just appears they are too bright, that's it. I was curious if anyone gets the flash. It literally happens enough that it's annoying me. I want to get out and scream I DO NOT HAVE MY F'ING high BEAMS ON - STOP FLASHING ME! :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hah... Funny. Well, I don't think it is because it is recognizable, I think it just appears they are too bright, that's it. I was curious if anyone gets the flash. It literally happens enough that it's annoying me. I want to get out and scream I DO NOT HAVE MY F'ING high BEAMS ON - STOP FLASHING ME! :)
Just ignore them. Majority of the time, people aren't used to seeing high quality light or their eyes aren't well adjusted. I used to flash back at them, then I realized my eyes were getting bad so I had to get glasses. Now it not an issue anymore. :)

It happened to me a bunch of times with my older Escalade with the Xenon lights.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I've had several vehicles with the z's (and currently a X5M - which has the adaptive headlights), and never had someone flash me. I suspect it's the ride height of the Escalade. So the message is, it's an escalade, yea the lights are blinding, get used to it this isn't my problem!? :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The Escalade is a tall vehicle so that part of it. Then you have the side profile LED lights that is mixed in with the LED headlights which can also cause it. Some reason, the light have been DOT approved.

If the police pulls you over for the lights and cites you, then that raises some concerns and it should be addressed to Cadillac.

The adaptive headlamps will adjust when sensors detect oncoming traffic and lower the light intensity to give the oncoming passer better visibility.

Check out this article about LED vs Xenon vs halogen. They used the 3rd gen Escalade Platinum. Note: This article was made in 2008 using a 2008 Escalade platinum. That was the first year the Escalade was introduced with LED lights which later on transition to the 4th generation Escalades.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/blinded-by-the-light-comparing-new-led-headlamps-with-hidxenon-halogen-2069.html

I think the LED lights are 6K lights, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Great article on the lights,
THANKS
one thing mentioned are the
heated and cooled cupholders.
I have not been able to verify this on my new platinum.
my salesman told me the same thing.
Obviously someone told it to MotorTrend also.

The Escalade is a tall vehicle so that part of it. Then you have the side profile LED lights that is mixed in with the LED headlights which can also cause it. Some reason, the light have been DOT approved.

If the police pulls you over for the lights and cites you, then that raises some concerns and it should be addressed to Cadillac.

The adaptive headlamps will adjust when sensors detect oncoming traffic and lower the light intensity to give the oncoming passer better visibility.

Check out this article about LED vs Xenon vs halogen. They used the Escalade platinum.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/blinded-by-the-light-comparing-new-led-headlamps-with-hidxenon-halogen-2069.html

I think the LED lights are 6K lights, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
230 Posts
The 2015 models don't have heated or cooled cupholders, The article about the lighting was written in 2008 referencing the prior Escalade

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I just made an edit on the post I made. Meant to say 3rd gen, not the 2015 4rd Gen.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
This thing is getting blown out of proportion, Don't give tree huggers power by even debating if they are blinded, they are not being blinded. I have a Range Rover and I get flashed at night, at least once a week. All I do is flash them back.Aside from liking the Escalade I do not own one. I have passed by the new model on occasion at night and have not been blinded while driving my truck and my wife's car. If they have a problem with lights from driving at night then perhaps they should not be driving at night. I bet these same tree huggers do not flash 18 wheelers when they see them at night. The people that claim they are being blinded will not be happy until we are driving 2000 lb coffins that get 60 mpg city. Flash them back and keep trucking.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
This thing is getting blown out of proportion, Don't give tree huggers power by even debating if they are blinded, they are not being blinded. I have a Range Rover and I get flashed at night, at least once a week. All I do is flash them back.Aside from liking the Escalade I do not own one. I have passed by the new model on occasion at night and have not been blinded while driving my truck and my wife's car. If they have a problem with lights from driving at night then perhaps they should not be driving at night. I bet these same tree huggers do not flash 18 wheelers when they see them at night. The people that claim they are being blinded will not be happy until we are driving 2000 lb coffins that get 60 mpg city. Flash them back and keep trucking.
this is so true! my L320 has very strong HID that it blinds more than my escalade hybrid. the previous generation escalade's LED was not as bright as the HID. Now with my platinum, I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In some occasions, people can have bad vision. But it's the person's responsibility to get their eyes checked with an optometrist or ophthalmologist, and decide driving at night is a wise thing to do.

Here is a video from MB about what they have done to their LED lights and how Cadillac should adjust their LED lights in the near future so that some people are less dazzled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are not blinding anyone tree hugging prius drivers and people who cannot afford a full sized truck are going to hate. The beam pattern is easily recognizable as an Escalade. It looks like nothing else on the road, especially at night. Flash them back and keep on trucking.
I like this.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
THISIS ONE FANTASTIC INTELLIGENT LIGHT SYSTEM IN MB.

I do not know if my 2014 MB has this technology.

I am very sure my 2015 Cadillac Escalade does not.

the 2016 Escalade needs this, but probably will not get it for many years.

I do not know if it will do any good, but I have forwarded your MD LED Lights Safety Electronics Control Video to Cadillac Execs.

BUT
In some occasions, people can have bad vision. But it's the person's responsibility to get their eyes checked with an optometrist or ophthalmologist, and decide driving at night is a wise thing to do.

Here is a video from MB about what they have done to their LED lights and how Cadillac should adjust their LED lights in the near future so that some people are less dazzled.

·
Registered
2014 XTS-Vsport
335 Posts
Deer in headlight syndrome
They see the bright LEDs or whatever and look straight into them.

On my XTS I was flashed several times a week a year ago, and only once a week now at best. I've also noticed much more other LED cars on the road. Perhaps they realized these lighting systems are normal.

That and I trained them by always flashing back?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
THISIS ONE FANTASTIC INTELLIGENT LIGHT SYSTEM IN MB.

I do not know if my 2014 MB has this technology.
This is brand new on the 2015 S-Class, C-class, E-class and CLS class. The updated 2016 GL and other models will have it.

Cadillac will eventually when lots of people complain about it. Just like getting the 360 camera system, which turned out to be a bad idea releasing it too early. I would rather have them take their time making their light system perfect with no issues rather releasing it early and have more complaints.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts