Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,709 Posts
Good question. For the Eldorado maybe the cat has something to do with it, maybe the mufflers are different. Maybe there's just no room under there.....!

Buddy of mine did a 3" Flowmaster job on a 2001 STS and left the resonator off - and it's LOUD, so that's where I'm coming from.............

As far as the true duals, there just isn't any room in that small tunnel, and the FWD cradle and frame are low enough without a bunch of pipe and 2 convertors hanging down another 2 - 3 inches. Damn, it would be nice........

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac STS, 20" Cruisers,NittoXtreme 255's,Super 44's
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wanted to get a Corsa Exhaust, but... I didnt want to drop that kind of dime on an exhaust system.. (Im a college student) (I eat Roman noodles and PB&J's!) I just want something that sound great, and was good for the money. And I think Flowmaster has proven their name. In the pics, he just spot welded it for now. After the was done fitting the exhaust, he went back over and welded everything.. Just saying just incase anyone asks..

The only thing I have to record sound is my cell phone, My digital camera has video on it, but no sound! I can snag my parents camera when I go over to raid their fridge again.. Or wait till i get my new Macbook Pro Laptop in 2 days.

But ya, she sounds sweet! Im not sure if I will take off the resonator or not though yet. Think it will make a noticable difference?

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
If GM puts a resonator on a car, it's probably for a good reason...

None of us are recommending taking it off. In the end it's your decision, but I don't think it would be the best idea-unless you're replacing it with another resonator...

I'll have to look into what makes the Eldo not need a resonator... I don't notice any drone while driving, so it must be made up for somewhere... Anyone read anything on this?

·
Registered
95 Eldorado
268 Posts
I also would like to know why there isnt a resonator on the eldos if anyone finds out. Hey sub if u dont mind me asking how much did that full exhaust run ya? I have no clue and Id like to hear a roundabout figure if its cool.

·
Administrator
71,709 Posts
.................this was in 10/06, and I did a lot of online shopping, so other results will vary. STS2003 installed the same system for somewhere near $1150, and my system was drop-shipped from CORSA by a MidWest parts house for $934. The same system is now around $1400 +/-.

Over the years, fooling with a pretty large cross section of cars, engines, mufflers, and headers, I learned that the length of an exhaust system has a LOT to do with noise (rap, rap, rap) and drone. Exactly like tuning an organ pipe. The lengths and tube diameters all factor into what sounds good and what sounds just plain awful. "Tuned exhaust" means a whole lot more than sound - the system is tuned to its resonant frequency so the reverse pulse arrives at each exhaust valve out of phase = lower tube pressure = greater exhaust extraction. Exactly the opposite of tuned intakes in which the runner pulse arrives at the intake valve in phase with the valve opening = greater intake charge pressure (actually less vacuum....).

·
Administrator
71,709 Posts
...............did some snooping in RockAuto - some Eldorados have resonators, some don't. Looks like 96, 97, maybe 98 had them, earlier and later ones don't. That's from the Walker Muffler diagrams, so unless you have a GM shop manual, I guess you have to trust Walker. No guesses as to why the difference.

·
Registered
95 Eldorado
268 Posts
If sex had a sound that would be it. Wow. I heard a sts with slp bullets the other day on youtube and that was pretty sick too.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts