Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Isac Chicago 
#1 ·
Stupid question - how do I extract the error codes out of my 94 DeVille?

#2 ·
for '94 I think you have to hold a combo of 2 buttoms on the ECC...I think it is off and the cold button for a few seconds with the key in the on position with the engine off or something like that, that'll get you your codes

Anyone know how i get them for my '93? is it that little box thing you plug in?

#6 ·
Stoneage_Caddy said:

Does this work for the '90 Deville as well or only for Northstar cars? I am have been trying to use the "jump A and B with a paperclip" method to get the error codes to read out on my dash via the service engine soon light, but have had no luck. Is the way outlined in the web page the correct way to read the codes on a 1990 Deville?

#8 ·
Stoneage_Caddy said:
possibly , i havent tried it on a 90 deville yet , the codes may be diffrent from whats on the page if you can retrive them

anyone else have any ideas here?
Yep, it works on a 1990. I e-mailed the owner of that site while at work today and after he confirmed it, I tried it on my car tonight. I can finally see what that service engine soon light was whining about(the next time it comes on). My battery died two nights ago due to interior lights being left on, so I won't get to see the code until it happens again. Thanks for your help guys.

#10 ·
Stoneage_Caddy said:
thats great news dude

your seeing why these online forums are great arent you ? the exchange of information is awesome
Yep, I love the forums. Now I just wish I could find the entire Technical Service Bulletin for the error code I'm getting. I am getting the E49 code, which means:

AllDataRef#: 9286E
Date Posted: OCT 91
Problem: Engine Controls - Intermittent or Hard Code E49

Now, this is an extremely vague description. Is it worth the $24.95 membership that alldata.com charges or is there a cheap/free way to get technical service bulletins?

One last thing...I wish someone would reply to my post about my parking lights not shutting off in my '90 Deville...My car's fuse panel is tired of having the running lights fuse being pulled out every night when I park the car.

#11 · (Edited)
did a quick search on your code , try this :
http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-74.htm

its pretty vauge too , im not familiar with the air managment system on cadillacs yet so i cant say much here , maybe check for a vaccum leak ???i suppose there is a solenid for it also , does it idle ok ?

ever try pulling the headlamp switch out of the car and seeing if the park lights stay on ? itd be nice to have wireing diagrams for them too , there might be a parking light relay thats bad , a quick way to tell if it has one would be to call the dealer and ask for a parkling light realy , if they say they there isnt such thing on that car then we'd know

id search the junkyards for the head lamp switch (and relay if it has one)and twilight sentinel stuff , might be able to get them fairly cheap from there

#12 ·
Thanks for taking the time to check that out. I also was searching tonight on Google and found the EXACT error code on the same site, about.com. It is at http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl569d.htm.

E049 Air Management System Problem. This diagnostic test monitors the AIR system to detect operating problems with the Electric Divert Valve (EDV) and Electric Switching Valve (ESV). It performs these tests using the oxygen sensor and ECM integrator function to monitor valve function.

Basically the computer has detected a malfunction in the EDV, the ESV or the wiring. A leaking injector may also cause this code to set.

I am thinking it is probably a leaky fuel injector. I had this car worked on a while back and the shop replaced an air pump in the car, which made the check engine light go away for a while. The reason I think it's a leaky injector is because after sitting for a night, the car idles REALLY fast upon startup, as if the engine has a lot of fuel sitting in it. It takes 7 or 8 seconds to "calm down" to normal idle speed. I think it is excess fuel that has leaked into the cylinder(s) overnight. I don't have this problem unless the car sits for at least a few hours, or at least it's not nearly as noticeable. My car also shows some reduced response time when "stepping on it." Also, when slowing down, I find the engine's RPM's are too high(possibly too much fuel) and cause the tranny to shift hard due to the higher speed at downshift. Does all of this sound reasonable? Should I post this to a mechanic's forum?

With regard to my running lamps not shutting off, I have already replaced the twilight sentinel switch with a new one from the dealer but that did not make the running lamps go off. I should probably replace the "push/pull" headlight switch too, but I need to find time to go to the junkyard first.

Any further input is greatly appreciated.

Stoneage_Caddy said:
did a quick search on your code , try this :
http://autorepair.about.com/library/ts/obd-i/bl-dtcs-74.htm

its pretty vauge too , im not familiar with the air managment system on cadillacs yet so i cant say much here , maybe check for a vaccum leak ???i suppose there is a solenid for it also , does it idle ok ?

ever try pulling the headlamp switch out of the car and seeing if the park lights stay on ? itd be nice to have wireing diagrams for them too , there might be a parking light relay thats bad , a quick way to tell if it has one would be to call the dealer and ask for a parkling light realy , if they say they there isnt such thing on that car then we'd know

id search the junkyards for the head lamp switch (and relay if it has one)and twilight sentinel stuff , might be able to get them fairly cheap from there

Attachments

#13 ·
leaky fuel injector eh ? its possible to have some leakage untill the fuel system looses its prime , they dont look too hard to replace either so thats a good idea , esp with the milage that the car has

im having a similar issue on my 4.9 with a very high idle , but no check engine lamp (well i do have one but its for the torque converter lockup), i might look into the injectors too when i decide ive had enough of the high idle

hehe , finding time to go junkyarding, i know the feeling , of coarse i called in sick to work a couple of times to go to the junkyard , man i love those places

#15 · (Edited)
I had that very same problem on my 90 DeVille (E-49).
I replaced a bad EGR valve and thought that that was it. The code came back and this time I found out that there was another problem. If the EGR valve has been bad for some time it results in clugging up the pipes. It's working fine now since I cleaned the passages and so far (3 months) no codes yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.