Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished replacing the timing chains on my '09 as described in another thread. The car runs fine but I'm getting an active P2187 code for too lean at idle bank 1 and a pending P2189 code for too lean at idle bank 2. I didn't get these codes before the timing chains job. The manual mentions that the computer senses unmetered air entering the engine as from a vacuum leak. Could it also be an intake manifold gasket leaking? I didn't replace it when putting back the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I would sure think that would be a good starting point. After all of that hard work you put into the job, It's a shame to have a code set but the same code for each bank should narrow the possibilities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious why you replaced the timing chain. On a '09, if there was something wrong with it, why wouldn't you have the dealer do it under warranty?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The timing chain was worn out and setting codes. The dealer wouldn't do it under warranty because they found excesive sludge in the engine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't sell it individually, you have to buy a whole gasket kit for $80. Besides, it's not in contact with any liquids like gasoline or oil, and it's got a rubber seal that still felt soft.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The gasket got hot and that changed the properties of the seal.

They don't sell it individually, you have to buy a whole gasket kit for $80. Besides, it's not in contact with any liquids like gasoline or oil, and it's got a rubber seal that still felt soft.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can order just the intake manifold gasket from rockauto.com. The price is around $18, I hope that helps and you get everything working well again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The timing chain was worn out and setting codes. The dealer wouldn't do it under warranty because they found excesive sludge in the engine.
I suspect it was setting code P0008 and possibly P0017 before replacing the timing chain? You said that warranty was not honored due to sludge in the engine? What sort of mileage is on this vehicle? How frequently were you changing the oil? Were you using synthetic? Was the oil at the correct level between oil changes?

If you were following gm guidelines on oil changes (Synthetic,oil level full, following OLM) warranty should have applied.

Diag aids for P2187 & P2189:
-Observing the LT FT Bn 1 and Bn 2 parameters, while driving the vehicle can determine whether the lean condition is effecting only one bank , or is common to both banks of the engine.
-A fuel system delivery condition causes this DTC to set. Thoroughly inspect all items that cause a lean condition
-Any un-metered air into the engine causes this DTC to set. Thoroughly inspect all areas of the engine for vacuum leaks.
-A MAF sensor condition can cause this DTC without setting a MAF DTC. If there is a MAF sensor condition, the MAF sensor parameters will appear to be within range.
-Inspect the air filter for being the correct one for this application. Make sure that the engine oil fill cap is in place and that it is tight. Verify that the engine oil dip stick is fully seated.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect it was setting code P0008 and possibly P0017 before replacing the timing chain? You said that warranty was not honored due to sludge in the engine? What sort of mileage is on this vehicle? How frequently were you changing the oil? Were you using synthetic? Was the oil at the correct level between oil changes?
Yes it was setting those codes before. The car has 95,000 miles. I just bought it and don't have any information on the oil change history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replace the timing chains on my 2008 equinox sport with the 3.6L. I've getting both P2187 and P2189. I did replace my intake gaskets. Did you ever figure out the cause on your CTS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
bassmanss