Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I'm getting the cowl version of the Extreme Composites hood (without vents). I've never swapped hoods before and realize that some work will be needed to get it all looking right. I've lined up a body shop that is going to do the paint (paint the top, bottom, and blend with fenders/bumper).

My questions are as follows:

• Is the OEM heat shield needed for this cowl hood application? Is it easy to transfer or more pain than it's worth (I'm not even really sure what the purpose of the OEM heat shield is...to protect the hood/paint from excessive hood?
  • Is the front chrome trim piece easy to remove and replace? It looks like there are just bolts holding it to the front of the hood.
  • Are the windshield washer nozzles easy to install? I can't see what they look like with the heat shield on.

Not sure if anybody here has swapped for the Extreme Composites hood or happens to know any of these answers! Pics of the new hood coming soon!!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I believe the primary purpose of the hood insulator is noise-related, but I would run with it if it is feasible. It will protect the hood against fire (at least momentarily) if there is a fuel leak. I doubt that the normal level of heat would damage the paint, but I am guessing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
darkman said:
I believe the primary purpose of the hood insulator is noise-related, but I would run with it if it is feasible. It will protect the hood against fire (at least momentarily) if there is a fuel leak. I doubt that the normal level of heat would damage the paint, but I am guessing.
mine no longer has the heat insulator on it and has done fine you hear the engine sounds more but it's all good..

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,047 Posts
Want to weight in if the Hood insulator is really that necessary (at least on a cowl hood)?
Based on pics I've seen, I don't believe there's any provision to retain the hood insulator on the aftermarket hoods.

There are plenty of cars of various makes/models running fiberglass hoods that don't have any sort of hood insulator. It won't be an issue.

·
Registered
2005 cts-v,2003 escalade,2000 corvette conv. 1996 harley, 20
142 Posts
I had to cut the bottom of my hood for the ls3. Does this one give quite a bit more clearance?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a completed pic. I did not have the heat shield installed and currently am running without washer nozzles (I drive this car 500 miles a year...doubt I'll need them).

·
Registered
2005 cts-v
106 Posts
Beautiful man. 2 questions for you. Can you take a picture from the fro t and show the gaps to fenders? I know all shops are different but what did it cost you for paint and install. Luckily I just had the bumper painted, and like you mine is a garage queen never sees weather that requires windshield squirters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts