Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a Magana Charger installed

Decided to get the Magana Charger - roots type supercharger installed on my 2004 ESV. Ahs anyone done this? Any feedback?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Getting a Magana Charger installed

I was looking at buying the twin screw supercharger from Kenne Bell. I'm very interested to know how the Magna Charger works out for you. I was wondering if a supercharger would be worth buying. I know with the 6.0L motor it is 10:1 compression so you can't really run a lot of boost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re: Getting a Magana Charger installed

Hey all,

I have a belt-driven Vortec supercharger installed on my 2003 EXT (looks almost like a Paxton) which (along with some minor exhaust work) bought my output to 550+ horsepower on the dyno.

Comparing it to the stock setup that I test-drove at the dealership, I'd say there's no better way to drop $5-10k on your Escalade. It bolts off the line like an import tuner, no worries on the transmission, and I've got almost 15,000 miles on it this year.

Tony

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
I have 3 customers with superchargers on their 02' & 03' Escalades, all three had to have their transmissions redone, they all went to big brakes in the front as well, the stock brakes barley stop the truck in stock form.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My guess is they're driving it like a tuner - even though it has the power/weight ratio as such, you can't stomp on the pedal of a 7,000 vehicle like that. Inertia wins every time.

I'll be switching to larger rotors when I pop the 22-24" rims on this spring, but so far I haven't had any problems stopping (I suppose it's a matter of getting used to the limits of the vehicle).

Any ballparks on when your customers' transmissions bit the dust? I'm at 15,000 miles, and so far, so good.

T

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
I know two of the owners got under 10k miles, not sure about the third but I would bet it was less than that, I know of two people that blew their 03' Escalade trans without any mods done to their trucks, my dealer was replacing their transmissions last week when I stopped by to pickup a part, talking to the tech there he said in his words "this happens more than it should to these trucks" :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll have to contact the dealership in AZ that did the work - it wasn't on the list, but they might have bulletproofed the transmission along with it - would make sense if I were installing that much power.

- T

·
Registered
29 Posts
T-Dizzy said:
I'll have to contact the dealership in AZ that did the work - it wasn't on the list, but they might have bulletproofed the transmission along with it - would make sense if I were installing that much power.

- T
yeah i woudl expect they woudl beef up the transmission in those, i woudl also suspect they woudl beef up the differentials and the transfer case as well. transmferring all that power must be puttin those things through hell.
Where is Mass are you from, im from newton.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It was my understanding that the transmission that is in the Escalade is all electronicly controlled, so there is no shift kit to install, when they talk about beefing up the transmission they flash the computer having it shift quicker.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Jonas said:
Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It was my understanding that the transmission that is in the Escalade is all electronicly controlled, so there is no shift kit to install, when they talk about beefing up the transmission they flash the computer having it shift quicker.

When they "beef" up a auto trans they usually add stonger bands, sometimes they use Kevlar, and they make the clutches and drums stronger as well, they will usually add a high volume pump as well as a modified torque converter and a modified valve body to match the engine mods

·
Registered
41 Posts
A few guys on the SilveradoSS.com websight may have the magnaCharger on their trucks. (same drivetrain as us 02+ Escalades AWD). Their is also similar questions and concerns on transmission shift kits and durability on the afore mentioned website. I keep an eye on it due to larger number of members with essentially chevy truck versions of our Escalades. Lots of good info. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
GMike