Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
None yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am thinking of getting a 2006 STS fully loaded with the Northstar V8. any problems i need to know about? I want to know if this is a good car to buy. :confused: It has 77000 to 78000 miles on it and the head up display.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
You need to surf through this forum for background. It's all in here somewhere.

remember - This is a fixit forum
- most of what you see is compressed doom and gloom.

"Fully loaded" ??? Copy the RPO sticker under the spare tire cover and Google "cadillac 2006 sts regular production option codes" or something close. One of the resulting links will give you the meanings of all those codes - and what's built into THAT car.

Welcome to CF !!! :highfive: (Looks like you changed your mind about the CTS ...........)

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded 2015 SRX-traded 2006 STS
110 Posts
I had one. When they hit those miles, lots of little things break. You can read my history and see some of the problems. Great engines but can be expensive to fix.

·
Registered
None yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I did. the only problem is I have negative equity and a lien on my car and it is getting unsafe to drive/

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
I had one. When they hit those miles, lots of little things break. You can read my history and see some of the problems. Great engines but can be expensive to fix.
Based on 60 years of car ownership, driving, modification, racing and maintenance...... when ANY car gets to 78,000 miles things start to break/wear out in proportion to the care and usage given over that 78,000 miles.

·
Registered
None yet
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. so there are no major problems that I need to know about other than little minor stuff. btw, I also have a 2004 grand prix gtp that has 145000 miles on it. Is it worth fixing when the car is worth 3000 and will cost 2000 to fix? the front end is majorly shot and is weaving back and forth across the road.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
322 Posts
Off the top of my head, a catalytic converter issue may possibly affect that car and I don't know if there's an extended warranty as there was for the 2005. I had mine replaced under warranty and it was apparently a bear of a job. The signs were just a fairly obvious check engine light code. This code would light up very intermittently and as things got worse, it would be more common until it was just permanently on.

If it has magneride, note whether any shocks are leaking, and note the replacement cost of a shock. Also check air bags (for auto-leveling) in the rear if equipped.

I just completed a rough job to change the engine mounts, which I feel are something that is going to start being a problem for those cars (age + heat cycling + wear&tear). It's fairly expensive to have done, I mean around $1000 so not the end of the world but still, labor intensive.

If you're a bit worried at a $2k fix to a 2004 car (I really liked the gtp's btw) I don't think picking up a '06 caddy is going to solve many problems, as you could easily be in a similar situation , just with bigger numbers. You will be getting a sweeter ride. But any older car you just have to stay on top of the problems before they pile up, before you can say an entire system is shot, otherwise buy newer. It probably comes out about even in the end.

That being said, I love my '05, it still looks and runs great, and I'm not yet tempted to get anything else. That's saying a lot for a decade-old car.

·
Registered
2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition
606 Posts
ditto on checking the shocks for leakage if magnetic ride equipped. All shocks in my 05 were leaking at about 135k-140kmiles and to replace at the dealer was $5k-6k if I remember. That did include a new leveling pump as that burned out as well. Search the forum using google as there was someone here that let the shocks run out of fluid and said the ride wasn't all that bad. If this happens on the 08, I may be inclined to try and fix myself... Some members here say they are easy if you are even a novice. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
OK, as someone who is also looking into a loaded STS, this thread makes me a little worried. How prone to problems is the MRC exactly? I'm not really used to doing expensive jobs on my car until it reaches 200k km or more. And even then 6k USD bill would be a reason to look for another car. :/

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
getting a 2006 STS fully loaded with the Northstar V8. any problems i need to...

$6k for shocks is way too high.
1 hour labor to do the rears and $800 for the pair so maybe $1k for the back if high labor.
About $1200 for the front pair plus a couple hours labor.

Call it $1k for the rear and $1500 for the front.
Add on the air compressor and 4 wheel alignment and you shouldn't have even been at $3k and all of these numbers are on the high end.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
I replaced the rear MRC units on my '05 when she had about 108K miles on her.

I'm partially-crippled, too, and while it wasn't easy, I both like to fix things, myself, and I wasn't about to pay someone to do this for me.

Ludacrisvp, I think my rears through Rippy were about $1,200, shipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts