Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i currently own a heavily moded 1996 Maxima that is auto and runs high 14's. This car is nice and all but im selling it soon since its reliability sucks.
My cousin works at Cadillac, so i am getting the new cts 3.5 this week. for a really good deal.. :)
The only thing im thinking about is if i should get it in a 6 speed or auto. I mean it is a cadillac, a car to just relax and cruise with, i dont think i want to keep shifting gears all the time in a luxury car. I mean i would like it with the amount of power and since it is rear wheel drive, but its not like a sports car where i should get it in stick.
Either way im getting this car in the silver grey this week, for about half the price on what it costs now:)
So im just Introducing myself to everyone
btw this car is for daily driving for me to and from to College. It will also be a second car in the family just in case my dad has any problems with his car, or with mine. Basically we need a new car, and i will do most of the driving..
btw after a few weeks ill probably add an intake and do some work on the b pipe.
is there any other performance mods out there?
thanks

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

By the way, it's a 3.6L, not a 3.5...

Ummmm, auto vs stick.. I went from a 3.6L 5 speed auto to a CTS-V, and I can tell you, I definately prefer the 6 speed (it's different than the 6 speed you get on the V6 though). Probably because of my age, I'm 19, I'm a kid, I want to shift lol.

Either way, you'll be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you think the CTS is a really plush, soft, lux cruiser then you're looking at the wrong car. The CTS is a sport sedan and drives as such. Though it's no sports car, you can definately feel the sporty edge when driving it. This is no Buick Allante or DTS. Get the 6-speed, it's fun to drive stick especially since you plan on modding the car anyways.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im 18 right now.

My maxima ran 14.89 Auto with a lot of work since it ran 15.45 stock

Do you guys know the stock nubmers for the CTS?

I thought that all Cadillac were luxury cars lol sorry. I mean im tired of auto since it is boring, but hey if it is a sports car i guess i might aswell get in 6speed then!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
2 Da Max said:
I mean it is a cadillac, a car to just relax and cruise with,
Wrong model...lol
It depends on where you live - NYC or LA traffic - auto; I must say that when I picked up mine, I was going to wait for the 6MT or the V..went with the auto because I convince myself that in case my wife wants to drive my CTS she can. I've had it for 2 years now and my wife has driven the CTS once....:thepan: If I were you I'd get the 6 speed....Welcome to the forum..Also, does this CTS look like you just wanna relax and cruise, or do you want to drive this bad boy like you stole it???

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell you the trut, i really want an 2002 TL or 02 Maxima since im a jdm rice boy lol. but i want something reliable and im getting a good deal on it.

sorry for the questions but i havent seen a sticky for this section

what performance parts or company makes products for this car? can i get some links? right away im buying a Cone filter, and im doing the exhaust B pipe. any exterior mods or anything like that that i can do? i really am going to start modding this car nice since im going to have alot of money left over from the max..

what grille can i get? or springs or anything? thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
:bouncy: I prefer a manual. Three speed (the old days) four speed (not so long ago) five speed (currently have) and six speed (I guess more is better). I wouldn't have an automatic. Some cars, and the Cadillac CTS is a good example, a manual transmission affects the saleability. Many people don't want a "luxury" car without an auto. Many people are surprised that my wife's CTS has a five speed. We like it.

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as i am looking more into this forum. i really want the V series grille. where can i order one from? and i love that bumper but the car is too new to change bumpers on already

im starting to look at the cadillac.com website and i think i want the red or blue now lol

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
Compromise, get both. If you are going to be getting an '06 go the manumatic route so you don't have to worry about shifting in stop-and-go traffic but can manually shift when you are feeling agressive.

I can drive stick, and am occasionally forced to when I have to borrow a car or truck for moving or whatnot, but because I live in a major city, there is nothing but automatics for daily drivers.

As an aside, the automatic 3.6 sports package CTS will haul ass if that is important to you. Sure, you may sacrifice .1 or .2 seconds at the line because of the automatic but if you are a decent driver you should be able to handle it. With a manumatic, the blame is solely yours.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
3.6l 6-SPEED! Its the only way to go..... Just by asking the question means that you prefer the ability to control the vehicle.
I only purchased the car because it had a manual option. I was irate that I had to wait for a significant number of months after my order was placed..... but it was worth the wait! (2005, it must be one of the first ones sold to the public). The money I saved on the tranny was used to upgrade to the sport suspension.

Just a comment regarding resale value.... it depends how you market the vehicle. A very small percentage of folks prefer/require manuals and are having difficulty finding used ones. If you want to sell it, post it on ebay or here in the forums. Mine is a company lease vehicle. It is my plan to buy it when the lease is up for personal play. Of course, one of my arguments with the leasing company will be that it will not do well in auction - so I hope to get it a bit cheaper than normal.

Also, there is the guy ego thing... everyone who gets in the vehicle is just amazed that it has a stick. And almost all are a bit envious. (Well, the V would be the ultimate way to go.... but no way would my boss approve that!)

Either way, its a great car.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
2 Da Max said:
Well i currently own a heavily moded 1996 Maxima that is auto and runs high 14's. This car is nice and all but im selling it soon since its reliability sucks.
My cousin works at Cadillac, so i am getting the new cts 3.5 this week. for a really good deal.. :)
The only thing im thinking about is if i should get it in a 6 speed or auto. I mean it is a cadillac, a car to just relax and cruise with, i dont think i want to keep shifting gears all the time in a luxury car. I mean i would like it with the amount of power and since it is rear wheel drive, but its not like a sports car where i should get it in stick.
Either way im getting this car in the silver grey this week, for about half the price on what it costs now:)
So im just Introducing myself to everyone
btw this car is for daily driving for me to and from to College. It will also be a second car in the family just in case my dad has any problems with his car, or with mine. Basically we need a new car, and i will do most of the driving..
btw after a few weeks ill probably add an intake and do some work on the b pipe.
is there any other performance mods out there?
thanks
Based on this info - Auto

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alot of ppl on the maxima forums are telling me to get this car in 6speed or ill regret it if idont. well i do regret my max not being stick shift, so im still debating. lol i went back to the dealership today and so many colors!!! the colors on there site looks nowhere as good as in person! im in love with the red, and the blue.. but i like the silver since it has more of a classy look to it, but i duno there are alot of silver cars on the road, and it looks a little too bland for me... maybe the darker gray, but im still debating lol

Neways thursday im going to put the money down and do all the paper work with my dad. Most likely ill get the light platinum.

one more question, where did you guys get the CTS V grille from? and how much? i love it

·
Registered
351 Posts
I used to have a stick and loved it until I had to drive that darn thing in the city and in rush hour in heavy traffic... When I got rid of my back pain, I swore I will never get a stick again.

Also, driving an auto with your girlfriend/wife and putting your hand on her knee/lap is much easier and things goes way smoother with an auto than a stick...

:)

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
2 Da Max said:
Tell you the trut, i really want an 2002 TL or 02 Maxima since im a jdm rice boy lol. but i want something reliable and im getting a good deal on it.

sorry for the questions but i havent seen a sticky for this section

what performance parts or company makes products for this car? can i get some links? right away im buying a Cone filter, and im doing the exhaust B pipe. any exterior mods or anything like that that i can do? i really am going to start modding this car nice since im going to have alot of money left over from the max..

what grille can i get? or springs or anything? thanks
Geez..That's a question on its own. I have the Volant CAI. I have the CTS-V exhaust but have ordered Hugger Headers, Free Flow Cats, and Corsa exhaust. That bring the 3.6VVT close to 300HP. Mods are addictive as many members will testify!

I have the auto-tranny. Stirring a 6spd gets real old!

·
Registered
CTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i really want that CTS V grille, it should fit with no problems right? and only the dealer has it? does anyone know what it goes for

1 - 18 of 18 Posts