Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several threads in the past on the annoying analog clock in the IP that always seems to be off time. I did this upgrade last year, which also changes the orange backlight to white. You'll need to send it off to be programmed with your car's mileage though, or have your dealer do it. It ran me around $100 to have done.

I'm not selling this one, but I figured it's a waste to see one so cheap and no one bid. I'd rather have someone on this forum get dibs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEEDOMETER-CLUSTER-for-a-2003-CADILLAC-CTS-GREAT_W0QQitemZ8009668628QQcategoryZ33678QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
so this one already has a white backlight?

does that make the "RPMx1000" even MORE obnoxious being white versus orange?

i might bid on it, but i kinda like the ones with the aluminum around the edges...is there a year that uses white guages instead of the dark grey?

·
Banned
655 Posts
This clock was one of the things I criticized when I first reviewed the CTS at Epinions. Like most of the things I criticized about the 2003, they fixed it on the 2004. I'd never seen GM react so quickly to fix a products shortcomings, and was quite impressed they did so.

I think they got the idea for this clock from Mercedes, which continues to include an analog clock in its instrument clusters. Can someone please explain this to me? I thought the primary intent of an analog clock was to make an interior classier. Infiniti did it first in recent memory with the first Q. But the clock hardly serves this purpose when only the driver can see it.

On the other hand, the instruments are there so the driver can obtain various vital information with a glance. So, how does having the clock in the instrument cluster make sense? Maybe...you're heading hard into a turn, want to keep the engine in its powerband, but also want to check whether you're going to be on time for the meeting you're racing to...so you quickly glance at the instrument panel to check both the tach and the clock?

Yeah, I guess that's why they stick the clock there.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
I have a nice Atomic Alarm clock in my bedroom. It projects the time on the ceiling. It receives it's time from the Colorado Atomic clock. The time is perfect and it springs forward and falls back when required. It only cost me $19. Wouldn't you think Cadillac could offer us such a clock for our cars?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those with the Nav, there's an option in the setup to sync with GPS time. I don't know how often it does this though (at startup or at every once per second GPS message in the Nav). The GPS spacecraft have a cesium (atomic) clock onboard since GPS works by measuring the time for the signal to reach you. At the speed of light, nanoseconds are too much error.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
For those with the Nav, there's an option in the setup to sync with GPS time. I don't know how often it does this though (at startup or at every once per second GPS message in the Nav). The GPS spacecraft have a cesium (atomic) clock onboard since GPS works by measuring the time for the signal to reach you. At the speed of light, nanoseconds are too much error.
Damn I wish I had that feature but a $1,000 for a nav is pricey for an atomic clock. I wonder if anyone makes a retro-fit atomic clock?:hmm: Google here I come.:D

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
RobertCTS said:
I have a nice Atomic Alarm clock in my bedroom. It projects the time on the ceiling. It receives it's time from the Colorado Atomic clock. The time is perfect and it springs forward and falls back when required. It only cost me $19. Wouldn't you think Cadillac could offer us such a clock for our cars?
Now I would really hate to look at a projection on liner of my car to see the time...:annoyed: That would surely neither improve my driving nor my pleasure :D
(yes I am a smart ass)

But it is odd that the time of the analog clock is always 1-2 minutes off :suspect:
My '70 Eldorado only has fuel gauge and speedometer. That's all I need to know in an automatic transmission. Any other concern will light up in red or orange...

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
70eldo said:
Now I would really hate to look at a projection on liner of my car to see the time...:annoyed: That would surely neither improve my driving nor my pleasure :D (yes I am a smart ass)quote]

Maybe not such a bad idea Eldo. Like the GP "Heads Up Display". Atomic time on your windshield.:)

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Maybe not such a bad idea Eldo. Like the GP "Heads Up Display". Atomic time on your widshield.:)
Yeah, but on the liner would be way too much head up. Just kidding...:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
70eldo