Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 / 2001 eldorado
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 El Dorado that has the cell phone in the center console, and also the steering wheel controls to go with it. The phone is obviously outdated. I was going to remove it to get the space back. I have the original steering wheel switches for the fan and temp. What has to be done to put those back into operation? I figure there is more to it than just disabling the airbag and changing out the switches. Is there some type of reprogramming to be done?

Is there any sort of updated phone interface to go into this car as well?

Thanks for any ideas.....

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
No update for phone stuff available. There is prob a way to turn off the phone option but not sure what wiring changes may be needed. Get a wiring diagram to figure that part out

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
306 Posts
Re: Get rid of cell phone, go back to original steering hweel controls?

That's something I've been wondering as well. It would be nice if it was as simple as removing the telephone control switches and replacing them with the climate control switches.

·
Registered
1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
395 Posts
Awesome. I came across a phone in a late 90s Deville at the junkyard just a couple days ago. I considered taking it, but then thought... why? Lol

·
Registered
72,92,02 Eldorado
185 Posts
Re: Get rid of cell phone, go back to original steering hweel controls?

My '02 ETC C&E is a voltage sensing circuit and each switch has a different resistance value which then routes to the radio and climate controls on a common line.
If there were no major changes between 99 and 02, yours will have a C&E input to the radio and climate controls. Get a schamatic and I can help you figure that out.
Another option is to do a remote (parallel) switch. Take climate control apart and solder in small wires acoss the switch you wish to control (mimic). then run that direct into your wheel switch.
Taz

·
Registered
1999 / 2001 eldorado
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not think it would take any wire routing or soldering. When I bought the car, they just unplugged and removed one set of switches and plugged in a new set. They gave me the old switches to hang onto. I would think it would be a switch change, but then what after that. I was not sure if just changing the switches was it. I thought perhaps there was a reprogramming of some computer brain to tell the car to go from having the phone to not having a phone. If the switches al have a different resistance, perhaps the car will know what to do with the new (old) switches in place????

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
If you look for posts about reprogramming the DIC it has Cell phone option mentioned, I bet when you turn that option off the other switces would work again.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS Luxury III 135K
453 Posts
yeah what he said above you can go thru the DIC and disable the phone option

IPS01 Option A
-Universal Theft Deterrent enabled (8)
-Personalization / Memory Installed (4)
-Interior Purge enabled (1)

IPS02 OPtion B ( EXport Country)
-Eropean Economic Community (EEC) (16)
-Japan (8)
-Saudi Arabia (4)
-Canada (2)
-Norway/ Sweden (1)

IPS03 Option C
-RSS installed (128)
-Premium Unleaded Fuel Only Graphic supression [DIGITAL ONLY] (64)
-Daytime running lamps enabled (32)
-Cellular Telephone Installed (16)
-BTSI message suppression (4)
-Options not set (2)
-FUEL LEVEL LOW message suppresion (1)

IPS04 Option D (HVAC Options)
-Afterblow enabled (128)
-De-Ice Installed (64)
-Timer Recirc enabled (16)
-Dual Zone HVAC Installed (8)

Below are the Option E (DIC features)
- Coolant Temp message (64)
- Battery Volts message (32)
- Engine RPM message [DIGITAL ONLY] (16)
- Avg Mph message (8)
- Mph message (4)
- Fuel Used message (2)
- Inst Mpg message (1)

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Follow the above link. There is NO ELECTRICAL DIFFERENCE between the cell phone controls and fan speed control. The only difference is the symbol on the button. You just tell the IPC to control from that button the cell phone of the fan speed (just subtract 16 from the option C value). You can change the buttons too (but again the buttons are the SAME) if you don't like the symbol.
The system is very simple, the 4 steering wheel control (x2 contacts) just shorten 2 IPC inputs with a certain resistance. Each button has its own specific resistance value (fan speed and cell phone buttons have the same resistance, is basically the same button just different symbol), the IPC measures this resistance and knows witch button is pressed. It is just set up based on option C to act one way or the other on the fan speed/cell phone button. If you press more than 1 button the value of the resistor is not one of the standard expected values thus the IPC ignores it, the most basic electronic setup.

·
Registered
1999 / 2001 eldorado
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so you guys have been a big help. Does someone here know how ignorant I am of DIC, or the programming options? Is there a particular thread you could show me that best describes the procedure to get to the codes and how to run through it.

When you say delete 16, you mean I will see a 16 code in there and I just disable it? If I do that, do I enable the fan / temp control, or just by disabling the phone it will then revert back to the fan / temp control use?

Thanks guys, you have been a real help. If I can get this done, I will have an antique phone to sell on Epay.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Enter into Diagnose mode
Select IPC
Select IPC Overrides (option C)
Subtract 16 from the value displayed as IPC Option C (it will display the value where the odometer value usually is displayed).
To increase value use passenger warmer button, to decrease value use passenger cooler button.
To save value press A/C and Windshield Defrost buttons simultaneously until the value flashes once (~3sec).
Fan Speed up = YES
Fan Speed down = NO
OFF = Cancel (exit, or up one level).

Example:
Enter in Diagnose Mode and during the bulb test selecting OFF (CANCEL) you exit the diagnose mode. Bulb test is the first menu in the Diagnose Mode thus Cancel will exit one level up (out of Diagnose Mode).
Say you are in Diagnose Mode, after the bulb test you have the code enumeration sequence (or menu).
Cancel gets you up one level to the Bulb Test while NO (or SKIP) gets you out of this menu (sequence) and you will be prompted with the next menu: PCM?.
PCM? is the first menu in the Module Enumeration sequence. You have the option to select YES (go to PCM menu) or NO (go to the next Menu) or CANCEL = get me out of the Module Enumerator to the previous menu (i.e. Code Enumeration).
At some point you are prompted IPC? Well that is the menu you want to access so you press YES (select IPC menu).
In the IPC menu you have to choose between the IPC submenus: IPC CODES?, IPC OVERRIDE?, IPC INPUTS?... (YES or NO), or you can select CANCEL = Get me out of the IPC menu to the Module Enumeration sequence and you will be prompted with the next module.
While in an IPC submenu you have the same options, YES/NO (select or skip the menu you are prompted with, one of them being IPC Option C if you select IPC Overrides) or CANCEL to get out of the submenu.

It is pretty simple to understand, if you ever programmed a VCR in the early '90's then you should have no problem.

Just make super, super sure the value you save is exactly 16 less than original, if you save a "bad" value you can junk the IPC.

·
Registered
1999 / 2001 eldorado
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I have programmed the VCR. I remove 16 from the value. What do I add to put the blower speed and temp control back in, or by deleting the 16, it just goes back to normal and all is well?

·
Registered
1999 / 2001 eldorado
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, your help was all I needed. I had a value of 180 in IPC option C, so I made it 164 (less 16) and saved it. Now it works the HVAC stuff. All I have to do now is change back the switches. Is there anything special about that? Will disconnecting the battery and grounding the positive to discharge any electronics effectively keep me from getting an airbag in the face? Again, 1 1999 Eldorado is what we are working on here....

Thanks again, worked like a charm....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Take out the SIR fuse and go for it. Be carefull with the horn wires if it anything like the DeVille. The turn signal deal that horn wire locks into gets brittle and snaps requiring replacement.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
You need to disconnect the battery for AT LEAST 15 minutes before starting to remove any screw.
You could just remove the SIR fuse (is enough) but what if you remove the wrong fuse, the battery is safer?
Now behind the steering wheel (is actually towards the front of the car) locate 4 holes (one on each corner of the air bag module.
Deep inside are T20(?!?) screws this is what holds the air bag on the steering wheel.
When the screws are out carefully separate the airbag just enough to slide your hand underneath to disconnect the horn (push in + 1/4 turn) on one wire, a squeeze and pull on the clamp on the other wire and then disconnect the SIR (yellow) cable.
Put the airbag away from your work area (face UP). That thing is very dangerous, static electricity can easily trigger it and is like a small bomb, it can brake your neck easily, so be careful (wear cotton).
Now you have access to the steering wheel buttons held in place with 2 screws (on each side), you can replace just the 2 buttons on the left, note there is a connector on that small cable to separate the 2 controls.
ANY '96-'97 Seville, '96-'99 Deville or '96-'02 Eldorado controls will work. Just be aware the '96 buttons are slightly different (not so chunky and the light bulb is not serviceable). I would recommend you to use '97+ controls. You can just replace the actual plastic sleeve with the symbol.

·
Registered
1999 / 2001 eldorado
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Being the original owner, I( actually have the original switches. The dealer just put them in the glove box when I bought the car. Thanks for the help. I will get this done tonight....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts