Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love how the volant gives my 3.6L that growl it didnt have before...
i just took the cover off my volant & went for a spin... it sounds so much stronger with the lid off!!

what i wanna know is:
1. Is it harmful to the intake/filter/car to leave the Lid off?
2. Will i get additional more sound if i cut out a square in the front of the volant in addition to leaving the top off?
3. If it is harmful to keep the lid off, is it harmful to cut out the square in the front of the intake box?
4. Will just cutting out the piece in the box give me the same grumble as just taking the lid off?
5. Will i lose any power by removing the lid?

TIA :)

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i know where to cut the hole, and i know it adds a louder growl....

i want to get answers to the numbered questions in the first post tho brent :lol:

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
I love how the volant gives me a boner 3.6L and that growl of a man it didnt have before...
i just took the cover off my volant & sat on it while my buddy reved the engine ... it feels so much stronger with the lid off!!

what i wanna know is:
1. Is it harmful to the intake/filter/car to leave the Lid off?
2. Will i get additional more sound if i cut out a square in the front of the volant in addition to leaving the top off?
3. If it is harmful to keep the lid off, is it harmful to cut out the square in the front of the intake box?
4. Will just cutting out the piece in the box give me the same grumble as just taking the lid off?
5. Will i lose any power by removing the lid?

TIA :)
1. no
2. yes
3. prolly not but your gonna get more heat
4. yes even better because it will echo
5. see #3

:histeric::duck:

haha get the joke there ???

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
When you remove the lid you allow a lot of hot air to enter the engine. It's not as dense with oxygen. There are also toxin crap stirring around that can be caustic and abrasive to your engine. I wouldn't do it. Something similar to luv's could work as long as you make sure your getting cool outside air.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i called up volant performance... they said its okay to leave the lid off, but couldnt tell me if i would loose/gain HP ...

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The engine only sucks in as much air as it needs. Pulling the cover off only turns your cold air intake into a hot air intake, defeating the purpose. While open cone filters look cool under the hood, they're NOT cold air intakes by definition. Colder air is more dense (more air for the same volume) and equals more power when you need it (WOT). If you actually measure it on a dyno, you will likely see a slight power loss, but it will be single digits most likely. Somehow, I think if making your car louder is the goal, power is likely not, so why worry?

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
If you're looking for more growl you should add the Corsa exhast and leave your Volant the way it is. I agree with the others who suggest cutting a hole will turn your CAI into a HAI, I certainly wouldn't do it, but thats me and you're you. At the end of the day whatever floats your boat is up to you.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The engine only sucks in as much air as it needs. Pulling the cover off only turns your cold air intake into a hot air intake, defeating the purpose. While open cone filters look cool under the hood, they're NOT cold air intakes by definition. Colder air is more dense (more air for the same volume) and equals more power when you need it (WOT). If you actually measure it on a dyno, you will likely see a slight power loss, but it will be single digits most likely. Somehow, I think if making your car louder is the goal, power is likely not, so why worry?

ody, k i'm gonna put the lid back on...
will cutting the hole in the front of the intake box make me lose hp/torque as well?

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
When you remove the lid you allow a lot of hot air to enter the engine. It's not as dense with oxygen. There are also toxin crap stirring around that can be caustic and abrasive to your engine. I wouldn't do it. Something similar to luv's could work as long as you make sure your getting cool outside air.
Toxic crap?
The CTS does not have a 1943 Tank engine Bob :D

[YOUTUBE]zQvD_aBGSAs
[/YOUTUBE]

anyway, I rather put some extra padding in the volant to make it more quiet.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
You mean the weak makers? I thought most of the synthetic under there is thermo set. If it would be a plast, then it would melt from the engine heat.

anyway, here's for the Cadillac growl:

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
that start up is crazy :wacky::bonkers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts