Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased an Oil Catch can about 1,500 miles ago. For those that don't know, the purpose of this device is to catch the oil vapor that gets sucked back into the intake via the PCV system. The oil residue eventually causes buildup on your valves, which is a bad thing. It installs right in front of the oil cap (1st pic), and I'm now discovering that it's a "must-have" item on an LS6.

I drained it for the first time today and was shocked at how much oil I had kept from going into my engine. Keep in mind that 12-20% of the oil in the can didn't pour out (clinging to the sides and the threads at the top).

See for yourself how much oil your engine eats every 1,500 miles.

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
Sweet Lord! I have one on my 00 WS6, it dosen't eat that much, but yours in no where near what my old 01 Z28 would suck down. I have ,however, been using Amsoil in the WS6. I am not sure it has made a difference.
LS1/LS6/LS2/L92.
They all would like you to use a catch can.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Where did you buy the oil catch can? The one listed in the FAQ does not seem to be available at the desingated seller's website?

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy anything from a website with the word "import" embedded in it.

Does it come with stickers too?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I agree, nothing "import" is going on the V.

I have a catch can from Elite Engineering and the work they do is top notch. Can is not cheap but it is machined aluminum and then anodized to the color of your choice.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

They don't have a bracket for the V yet but as soon as I finish mine I will send to Elite Engineering and I think he is willing to make it for others on the forum.

I don't believe they are a vendor for the forum yet but maybe if we show enough interest we can get him to sign up!

Of course if there is a forum vendor that sells a nice Catch can then I would buy from them.

I don't get anything for this, he just makes a great product and has been working with me to get it to fit properly on the V.

·
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
BTW, The elite engineering can can be removed without taking any brackets off, it just unscrews. The bracket is attached to the top of the can.

Not sure if this is better or not but it is different then the can listed by Tony.

·
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The one I have is held to the bracket by a "loop". Loosen the allen screw on the loop and pull the can out the top to pour out, or just loosen the petcock on the bottom and drain it into a container.

·
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's some better pics of the AMW can.

I attached it using a bolt that was already there (holding a wire harness). I highlighted the factory bolt with a red arrow.

The second shot shows the allen bolt you loosen to totally remove the can without removing the bracket.

Third pic is the inside of the cap- the wire coils stuffed in there cause the oil to condense and drop to the bottom of the can, while the 4th pic shows the grooved inside to prevent the oil from creeping up and getting sucked into the intake.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts