Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just having the coolant system from my car (99 STS with 108k) drained and replaced while I´m away from the UK for a couple of weeks (first time it´s been changed since 80k at the latest according to the service book). When I dropped the car off the mechanic at the Cadillac dealership noticed a small amount of oil in there, and said that if it turns out to need it´s head gasket replacing then I should simply scrap the car. The car itself cost 2500 pounds/$5000. The reason being is that he said the head gasket parts required would cost a mammoth 3000 pounds/$6000. Now I´m no stranger to the cost of Cadillac parts, but is this an excessive price? Surely head gasket replacements are available a lot cheaper for me to import then get another non dealership garage to fit? I´m willing to get it fixed if it does turn out to be a head gasket going, but not if it costs more than the car cost me! :)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
If the car isn't exhibiting other characteristics of blown head gaskets, overheating and coolant loss, I'd disregard it and drive the car normally. Blown headgaskets don't usually put oil in the coolant in a Northstar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts