Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a hard time finding a DTS with woodgrain steering wheel, sunroof and factory navigation

most of them have one but not the other

so, is it possible to simply buy a factory navigation system off ebay and replace the standard system (plug and play)?

i know i could get aftermarket, but i kinda like the natural look better than those custom mounts

same question for a woodgrain steering wheel; is it easy to buy one and get it installed?

if so, i can just buy one i found with a sunroof and get everything else changed

and lastly, is it true that luxury 3 electronics all eventually stop working, so it's best to avoid them?

i had never even known that cars had massaging seat until i starting looking for a DTS, but some people were telling me that all those electronics end up breaking anyway

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have a beautiful Lux III, all the goodies work! Massaging seats and all. The Lux III are a bit harder to come by, so perhaps a dealer is telling you those things break to make sure you consider his inventory without those options? When we shopped we wanted a Lux III but found those in very good condition and low miles hard to come by! Salespeople like to sell what they have on the lot, and we never found one who wanted to work with us!

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's a nice 2009 luxury 3 here in san francisco, but it has a salvage title and the guy is asking $8000..

if i'm gonna spend that much, i'd get a clean title

there's another luxury 3 in detroit with 134k miles for $6400

but i dont know if i'm up for the drive back to california

at this point, i just want a sunroof and a decent color.. but having trouble finding one

·
Registered
05srx n*07 dts
40 Posts
I have an 07 DTS lux III with wood power tilt wheel, nav system, sunroof, it even has the rear window sun shade, approx 72,000 miles.
It has the white lightning paint which was only available for a couple of years.
The problem is I live in Canada five minutes from the Sumas Washington border, not sure what the hassle would be to
import it to the US.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can't speak to procedure to import now, but about 13 years ago we imported a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited from Canada. Safety and emissions were identical, so we just swapped a mechanical speedo and gauge for oil pressure/temp. Back then it was relatively easy, but not sure what it might be like today. Could impact trade in value but that might not matter to you since this is an older car already. Car sounds nice.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now that i've been looking for some time, i see that i simply want a luxury 3 or a performance model

might have to go out of town to get a good price, tho

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good idea..

haven't even considered looking for a platinum

thanks for the tip

currently talking to a guy with an '08 who doesn't know what it is, since he just buys and sells cars from auctions

gonna check the history and maybe go see it

has a sunroof, woodgrain wheel, navigation and massage seats, so i'm assuming it's a luxury 3 or performance

----------

what do y'all think about the landau roof?

----------

----------

my current '94 fleetwood has this top, but i wanted to get rid of it at one point

gotta be age 60 and up to sport the landau properly lol

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
good idea..
haven't even considered looking for a platinum
thanks for the tip
Currently talking to a guy with an '08 who doesn't know what it is, since he just buys and sells cars from auctions
gonna check the history and maybe go see it has a sunroof, woodgrain wheel, navigation and massage seats, so i'm assuming it's a luxury 3 or performance

If it is an '08, look at the VIN.. if the 8th digit is a "Y" it is a LUX lll... if the 8th digit is a "9" it is a Performance.
I think the vinyl top on that particular car looks fine.

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great tip! it's a luxury 3

do you have an opinion on the overall control and feel of the luxury 3 vs. the performance?

the consensus seems to be that the performance has better handling and overall feels better than the cloudy luxury 3 ride..

or better, does anyone here favor the luxury 3, floaty feel?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Short answer, the choice is really your preference. If you are looking for a traditional big Cadillac ride, you'd elect the Lux III, if you favor a tighter more "European" ride, the its the performance model. Performance also has an additional 17 HP, but less torque. As far as equipment the Lux III and Performance are similar, but not an exact match.

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks, kent..

i learned how to drive in an '82 fleetwood brougham, then i bought a '91 lincoln towncar, then switched to a 94' fleetwood brougham, so i think i'm in the traditional ride category

so long as i can find a luxury 3 with the same equipment (rear shade, blind spot warning sensors, etc), then i might go with an '08 i found in virginia

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

found an '06 luxury 3 for $4500

but would have to replace this door

owner says it also has a check engine light but that it's just the oxygen sensor and it'd only be $100

i have a guy who can give me a door for $150, then it'd be a matter of getting it painted

car has 128k miles

----------

the '08 in virginia just sold

but it didn't have blind spot warning in it, anyway

this red '06 does

i kinda don't like red for these big cars

but this seems like a steal if the car is running fine

·
Registered
2006 DTS
83 Posts
I'd take it to an AutoZone or somewhere on a test drive and verify for sure what the check engine codes actually are. Everyone trying to sell a car with the light on says its just an oxygen sensor when in fact it could be thousands of dollars of emissions parts. I just spent $1000 in parts alone at wholesale to extinguish my light and codes. Hopefully he's right and it's just one of the 3 O2 sensors, but that light relates to literally dozens of systems and over 100 components. Get the code(s) read and list them here or cross reference them somewhere to determine what parts it could be before you buy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Monergist said:
thanks, kent.. i learned how to drive in an '82 fleetwood brougham, then i bought a '91 lincoln towncar, then switched to a 94' fleetwood brougham, so i think i'm in the traditional ride category so long as i can find a luxury 3 with the same equipment (rear shade, blind spot warning sensors, etc), then i might go with an '08 i found in virginia
remember , '08 was the last year for the rear power sun shade

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 DTS LUX. 2 and it has the light grey and black wood trim. Steering wheel is all leather and heated. What's the best way to find out if they made a wood grain wheel for that model as I want it to match the rest of the interior???

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd take it to an AutoZone or somewhere on a test drive and verify for sure what the check engine codes actually are. Everyone trying to sell a car with the light on says its just an oxygen sensor when in fact it could be thousands of dollars of emissions parts. I just spent $1000 in parts alone at wholesale to extinguish my light and codes. Hopefully he's right and it's just one of the 3 O2 sensors, but that light relates to literally dozens of systems and over 100 components. Get the code(s) read and list them here or cross reference them somewhere to determine what parts it could be before you buy.
this guy has been pretty straight up about everything, thus far, so i'll ask him now

has even agreed to put everything in writing and get it noterized, as well as take it to a mechanic before i purchase

but you're right; the last thing i need is $1000 worth of emissions problems, cos the first thing i'll have to do in california is pass smog check

remember , '08 was the last year for the rear power sun shade
cool.. and you were right about luxury 3 being so rare..

performances are easy to find, tho

I just purchased a 2008 DTS LUX. 2 and it has the light grey and black wood trim. Steering wheel is all leather and heated. What's the best way to find out if they made a wood grain wheel for that model as I want it to match the rest of the interior???
this harkens back to my opening post lol

didn't get an answer in reference to replacing the wheel and radio, but i'd assume you can get a woodgrain wheel with matching electrical equipment that will work for your luxury 2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dmessina666 said:
the wood wheel matched the cars with the wood trim, and a luxury II didn't have wood trim so not sure you can make an exact match. Also there are 2 kinds of wood trim, American Walnut in a lux III and a lighter color wood in performance

1 - 20 of 25 Posts