Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my tires rotated and balanced a few months ago by a Discount Tire store. They stated that one of my tire was out of round.

Can just one tire be replaced or do I need to have all 4 replaced?

also my rear brake pads are worn at an angle instead of flat and level. this couldnt be caused by an out of round tire could it? i woud suspect not since both wheels in the rear brake pads are like that. just waiting now for free time to change out the rotors and pads on the rears.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
You don't need to have all 4 replaced although it's best if at least the 2 fronts be in similar condition to each other as well as the 2 rears to each other. Handling suffers otherwise. Probably would confuse your ABS too.

I've never seen pads wear as you describe them

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Man, those pictures are out of focus, can't tell much. Sort of looks like the right side is worn more than the left. Could you re-shoot those pics?

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
I have seen a couple of things cause wear like that. Nothing to do with the tire though. The first thing I would check is the bearing. Then I would clean the surface of the hub to make sure that the rotor is sitting flush against it. After that I would make sure that the lugs are properly torqued... Since it had time to wear down the pad like that, the rotor might be damaged like that too. So it might be a good idea to get the rotors turned. I recommend an on-car brake lathe to do that job.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the picture of the pad is fuzzy. my damn camera focused on the background instead of my hand. i don't think i'll take another picture now. it's so damn cold up here. if i take the wheels off again. it will be to just replace the rotors and pads on both of the rear wheels.

my other suspicion for the culprit is a bad parking break release. when i bought the car, i used the parking brake all the time. and since day 1 when i bought it everytime i used the brake, it wouldnt release all the way so the back of the car would shake very badly. it went in twice for the parking brake cable to be lubed. finally it started working correctly. i'm wondering if that had anything to do with the funny wear on the pads. i'll get around to replacing the brakes though. i'd get just the rotors turned but i dont have anyone who can drive me to a brake shop to drop them off :( and then go pick them back up. and i don't want to pay the huge fees on labor to take it in, while i'm at work. i'd rather do the work and labor myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts