Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS V
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 05 V about a month ago and been doing alt of research but just mainly want to get some personal opinions on favorite bolt on exhaust setups, thinkin borla with kook long tubes. Best lowering setup? looking at eibach pro lowering springs but not sure what to go with for struts? ive heard factory fg2's are pretty decent but then again. Also what is the widest wheel i can fit on the back? about to buy new wheels and want to get the widest rear i can before i buy them. Last thing is what does everyone think about the FAST LSXR 102mm intake?? sorry again i know its alot of stuff but figured one post would be easier than 4 or 5. Thanks all ahead of time.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
Geez, 19 yo and a V.

You're gonna get a million opinions and no doubt a few grumpy suggestions to "search" in answer to your post.

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading on here and on ls1tech and pay particular attention to those who seem semi-sober, open-minded, and not extremely opinionated as there are always several options you can go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Geez, 19 yo and a V.

You're gonna get a million opinions and no doubt a few grumpy suggestions to "search" in answer to your post.

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading on here and on ls1tech and pay particular attention to those who seem semi-sober, open-minded, and not extremely opinionated as there are always several options you can go.
:highfive: Randy has a very good point. You need to do a lot of reading and make some decisions on how/what you want to go about it. I doubt anyone will hold your hand and tell you step by step what to do. There will always be people who do not agree with certain mods of products you may choose to do. The Wheel/tire conversation has been beat to death and there is a FAQ dedicated to that topic as is most of the mods you are considering. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS V
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i aint tryin to get someone to hold my hand just kinda wanted some opinions to see what other people like. ive got a basic idea of what i want but i like to hear other peoples experiences just to get an idea of some of the stuff im looking at if that makes any sense

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
i aint tryin to get someone to hold my hand just kinda wanted some opinions to see what other people like. ...
Like I was trying to say, people will "like" what they have. Look at their sigs. 99% here did the mods they did after some thought, doing some research, and talking with others contemplating the same thing. For example, I watched others before I did anything. I'm not a trailblazer ... don't have the time to spend doing something that's not going to work out or will give me problems or leave me stranded somewhere. I've always wanted a car with headers. I contemplated B&B and Kooks (there weren't too many choices back in '06) before deciding. After driving another member's maggied V, I KNEW that's what I wanted.

But, the first thing you might wanna throw out to us is how much are you willing to spend? If you wanna do headers, you're going to get 20-25 rwhp and it's going to cost in the neighborhood of $2.5k with an exhaust and a tune.

Heads and cam might get you 50-75 rwhp (ballpark) and cost you less but you need the headers first to get the most out of the H/C and then you'll need to get another tune. The thing is you gain torque higher up in the revs, but may lose some down low. Good for racing where you're in the high RPMs a lot, but less so for street driving.

The Mighty Mouse lowering method is the most cost efficient (though I don't know much about it). I took the Ground Control route for under $500 because the MM thing wasn't around yet.

You'll play heck trying to locate a set of FG2s. Better to get the kind you have to rebuild every year or so. (I'm blocking on the darn name at the moment that a lot of guys use.)

One of the old timers (Jimmy or "Flyboy") around me had a FAST 90 setup and a Katech cam installed back in '05. I think he did a 12.80 quarter mile with it. I don't know about the FAST 102.

Widest wheels that'll fit can be addressed by others here. They can tell you about widening wheels and by how much and about the spacers to keep them centered within the wheelwell and clearing the calipers.

Remember, though, most guys like what THEY HAVE and will tell you to go the route THEY WENT. The more someone tells you you have to do what they did or you're an idiot, the more you want to read before taking their advice.

Good luck! And for cryin' out loud, have fun with this! (Geez, I wish I was 19yo and had a V ... and knew what I know now. :wisdom:)

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
12 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, new owner of an 05 V but already love my car to death!

From all the reading I've done myself, catback exhausts don't do much for our cars (actually I've read they literally do nothing in terms of performance). Depending on your local emissions laws, kooks long tube headers, no (or high flow) cats, almost any X pipe and a muffler delete end up costing a bit more than a full cat back system but will give you actual performance gains.

Ground control coilovers, as mentioned my rand, are probably the most popular and affordable lowering method. My experience has been to get full coilovers or stick with stock. Lowering springs deteriorate the life of factory struts faster due to higher spring rates, and coilover "sleeves" like the ground control units are basically just perch-adjustable lowering springs, so.. you get the idea. However, I've used Tein and Tanabe lowering springs in the past and they were pretty darn good even with factory struts. So it really comes down to budget and goals. I think many V owners in here recommend KW V3 for coilovers but those are around $2600 so you have to decide what you can shell out in the long run.

A $400 tune paired with the aforementioned exhaust setup has been seen to net upwards of +40WHP in some of the threads I've read through and even a tune alone has netted others 20WH, so definitely get a tune, regardless of the setup you choose.

For your "wide wheel" setups, I found a website that sells Rota or Linea Corse wheels specifically for the V and they're paired in either 8.5" & 9.5" or 8.5" & 10," with fairly high offsets. There's not a lot of available backspace in the rear of the V due to the design of the hub and strut assemblies so anything bigger than than a 10" wide wheel will likely require the Creative Steel trailing arms and then you might end up hitting the strut past that.

No idea on the FAST intake but I've read the throttle body and intake "squeeze tube" are the biggest restrictions in our intake system.

Keep searching though, it takes hours and hours to do so but you'll find a lot of good historical information that people have already discussed as everything I've written here is information I've found throughout this amazingly helpful forum!

Lastly, it all comes down to budget and your goals. If this is to just be a fun street car, then purchase your parts in a manner that suits that budget. If this is going to be a track car, obviously your budget needs to be a bit higher for those more reliable and race-prove/ready parts, so purchase accordingly. Whatever path you take, make sure it's something YOU can live with and love every time you turn the key on!

Good luck on your build!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts