Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has 58k miles, and I consider myself a good shifter... I can count on my fingers how many times I've ever "ground" the gears, and even then, it's always at a low RPM (below 3k), because I wasn't paying attention, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

The last couple of days, it's been difficult to shift into a gear. Usually (especially at lower rpms) the gears would fit right in without much effort, but not so anymore. I thought at first it was the syncros, because when I shift up, it's like the gear doesn't want to engage until the rpms "match". It doesn't grind or anything, just doesn't catch the gear.

Maybe it's my imagination, but the last day or two it's just really hard to shift into a new gear, high or low, without forcing it.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
I have the same problems. Some days it's fine, other days its hard as hell to get it into gear. It can also swing both ways during the same few hours duration of driving. When i took it to the dealer, it was on its good day and I couldn't replicate the issue so they wouldn't look at it.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Open your hood and check the fluid in your clutch reservoir. Chances are it's dry.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS-V Light Platinum
237 Posts
+1 for the Tony Show napped-finished leather, or a variety of fabrics with a brushed finish (but I typed - S W A Y D E! :thepan:).

I still have occasional tough gear'ings, but the one time when it was persistent my clutch reservoir was almost dry :)shhh: I was a n00b!)

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Open your hood and check the fluid in your clutch reservoir. Chances are it's dry.
Everyone go check your clutch fluid reservoir. If it is BONE dry go to NAPA or Auto Zone and buy some DOT3 brake fluid and fill up your clutch reservoir. 95% of the time the problem is fixed. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the clutch fluid reservoir was the first thing I checked. At first I didn't see anything, but then I lifted that little black rubber thing out, and the fluid is about half an inch from the top :(

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
the clutch fluid reservoir was the first thing I checked. At first I didn't see anything, but then I lifted that little black rubber thing out, and the fluid is about half an inch from the top :(
Sounds like it's time for a new T-56! :highfive:

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
I occasionally have the same problem going to 3rd gear. I need to get not-lazy and bleed the clutch fluid.

Or I can stay lazy and have it bled by someone else. :cool:

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
2,061 Posts
I occasionally have the same problem going to 3rd gear. I need to get not-lazy and bleed the clutch fluid.

Or I can stay lazy and have it bled by someone else. :cool:
just wondering if you have done this already?..lazy doesnt describe it. this seems impossible just looking at it...

btw - bleeder extensions and dropping the exhaust and/or tranny, don't count;)

I am curious what our V mechanic friends have to say about this one.. at only $125 it seems like a small labor hr charge. Is it just that you know exactly where to feel and how to bend your wrist to get up in there? Or is it a special tool, or do they just peel away parts until they get to the slave?...

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I have never done it before. I think you just need the right size hose to fit over the bleeder and maybe a mirror to see what you're doing.

Here is some info:

Picture (drawing): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/42260d1211653212-bleeding-clutch-fluid-hydraulic-clutch-bleeder-valve-1.gif

Wrench size & other info: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/137675-bleeding-clutch-fluid.html#post1506098

Instructions: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/61694-how-do-you-bleed-clutch-line.html#post553342

You should do it and tell me how it went. Then I'll try.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The way to check if it's the clutch is to see if this happens when trying to shift with the engine not runing, right?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The way to check if it's the clutch is to see if this happens when trying to shift with the engine not runing, right?
Nope. This article discusses the test, which is done with the engine running.

http://classic.artsautomotive.com/clutchstory.htm

If the clutch is dragging, here is the troubleshooting list from the Service Manual:

The checklist in the service manual for Clutch Drag is as follows:
1. Pedal blocked from full travel.
2. Too much travel between pedal and clutch master cylinder-worn pedal bushings.
3. Clutch pedal mounting loose.
4. Linkage at pedal worn or damaged.
5. Clutch master cylinder seized or binding.
6. Air in clutch hydraulic system.
7. Clutch actuator cylinder seized or binding.
8. Clutch master cylinder leaking internally.
9. Damage clutch assembly components. This includes damaged clutch disc hub splines, bent clutch disc, bent drive straps, broken or warped pressure plate. [I did not find any thickness specs for the clutch disc.]
10. Excessive side loading on the release bearing.
11. Faulty pilot bearing.
12. Transmission input shaft splines worn or damaged.
13. Tight or contaminated clutch disc splines.
14. Flywheel housing, engine block to clutch housing, or transmission front case excessively misaligned.
15, Grease or oil contamination on the clutch disc facing.

In addition to this list, the list for "Clutch Grabbing" also includes broken motor mounts.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
784 Posts
My clutch grabs when it's cold...bone stock 2005 with 33k miles.

Was also hard to shift until I added fluid...now it does it every once and a while.

Does the engine slightly "wiggling" when it's shut off signal bad motor mounts as well?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
My clutch grabs when it's cold...bone stock 2005 with 33k miles.

Was also hard to shift until I added fluid...now it does it every once and a while.

Does the engine slightly "wiggling" when it's shut off signal bad motor mounts as well?
Clutch grabbing differs somewhat from clutch drag and is defined in the Service Manual as: The clutch grabs or chatters, or the clutch is unable to release without the vehicle jerking. An abrupt engagement of the clutch.

The checklist in the service manual for Clutch Grabbing is as follows:

1. Grease or oil contamination on the clutch facings – from, for example rear engine oil seal leakage.
2. Loose or faulty engine mounts.
3. Clutch pedal sticking.
4. Clutch actuator binding.
5. Clutch master cylinder binding.
6. Warped clutch cover.
7. Improper clutch installation.
8. Clutch disc binding on input shaft.
9. Clutch pressure plate damaged.
10. Flywheel improperly machined.
11.Flywheel uneven.

Based on your description of problems when the car is cold my first guess would be oil contamination from a seal that accumulates from seapage while parked but is burned off when the vehicle is being driven.

And yes, the "wiggle" at shut off, depending on severity, is the signature of a bad motor mount. (It can also be caused by low octane fuel and other things however).

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
i just got a chance to read this now..

That's good and all, except i'm sure i'm not the only one that has trouble getting into reverse even when there are no issues with the clutch :p
I have no problem getting into reverse under any circumstances (hot or cold, parked or running). Also, I don't know why others have trouble getting into reverse except when there is some issue with the clutch, the reverse lock-out circuitry/solenoid, or the transmission.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts