Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the owner's manual:

SECOND (2): This position gives you more power. You
can use SECOND (2) on hills. It can help control your
speed as you go down steep mountain roads, but then
you would also want to use your brakes off and on.
Nofice: Don’t shift into SECOND (2) unless you are
going slower than 65 mph (105 km/h), or you can
damage your engine.
FIRST (1): This position gives you even more power
than SECOND (2). You can use it on very steep hills,
or in deep snow or mud. (If the shift lever is put in
FIRST (l), the transaxle won’t shift into first gear until
the vehicle is going slowly enough.)

Maybe they're talking about the butt dyno.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
They're talking about higher engine rpm for a given vehicle speed which equates to more power delivered to the road. Hypespeak for lower gear longer = power band.

FWIW you can drop the 4T80E gear stick into 1 at 145 mph and nothing will happen and nothing will be damaged. Been there, done that. The systems WILL NOT upshift or downshift if the correct, safe operating conditions are not present.

Drop your base Deville (VIN Y) into 1 and floor it - and leave it floored. Watch what happens at redline and speed - - - - you'll get to fuel cutoff at 112 in one hell of a hurry and the transmission will upshift and, when you flip your foot off the gas, downshift at the correct loads/speeds.

dynorun.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the explanation. I've experienced that upshift/downshift. Got to thinking about it last night on the way home I enjoyed my weekly WOT on my favorite stretch of county road. I've had cars that were scary at 100mph, but the Deville seems very calm. Also, am I correct that in P or N, it's limited to 4K rpm?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts