Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 89 eldo the DIC says there is a gear select problem when it is in park and neutral. The tranny shifts just like it should and ive never had problems with it and i was just wondering what this problem would be and how can i fix it. Also is there a way to reset the DIC cuz mine says CHANGE ENGINGE OIL everytime i start the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
CaddyCrisis said:
On my 89 eldo the DIC says there is a gear select problem when it is in park and neutral. The tranny shifts just like it should and ive never had problems with it and i was just wondering what this problem would be and how can i fix it. Also is there a way to reset the DIC cuz mine says CHANGE ENGINGE OIL everytime i start the car. Thanks.
Gear select and quadrant select are one in the same. All this means is that the shifter when set into any forward gear, neutral, or park is not registering the correct selection. This is normally just an adjustment below the console on floor shift mounted or behind the dash on column shifted cars.

The "change engine oil" is in response to the count down calculation done by the computer. This can be easily reset by any name brand oil change establishment, or by yourself.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
CaddyCrisis said:
So how do i reset it on my own?
You will need to become familiar with the DIC (Driver Information Center) Consider buying a FSM (Factory Service Manual). Watch anyone you get to restet it for you.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
CaddyCrisis said:
So how do i reset it on my own?
If you hit INFO until you see "0% OIL LIFE REMAINING," hold down the INFO RESET button for about 10 seconds until it says "100% OIL LIFE REMAINING." Preferably, this should be done when you change the oil. Then, you can change the oil again when it starts saying "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" again instead of keeping track of the mileage. That's how it works for a 93-04 Seville, at least. It might be different buttons on yours.

·
Super Moderator
86,086 Posts
Micheal,
He has an '89 and I think they may be different. If Micheals method does not work, try simultaneously pressing and holding the AUTO and RESET buttons. I am not positive that, that is the right combo as it has been a long time since I have had a late '80's model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
RickeyGary