Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
XTS 2014 Luxury
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my XTS has the basic cluster and would like to swap it with the LCD one. I have seen people swap the LCD cluster from the XTS into an ATS that had the basic cluster before. Therefore, there must be a way to swap the basic cluster in my XTS with the LCD one. I have located a few used LCD clusters online, but people say you need to program it. Does anyone know how I would need to program it to get it to work in my XTS? Or if I can just plug it in and be done? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2013 XTS Luxury
9 Posts
I am looking to do this as well, in fact I already have everything I should need lined up, aside from the time off work and weather sufficient to actually do the swap. I've done some research into it, and I'm by no means an expert, but from what I understand there are a few basic things needed.

First obviously is the new digital cluster. I cannot confirm this, but it is my understanding that you should get a cluster out of the same model year as your car for the best chance of compatibility with programming. The plug is the same between the base and premium cluster, although the premium also has a usb connector for the HUD.

Second is a subscription to ACDelco Tis2Web for reprogramming the cluster. This can be purchased at ACDelcoTDS.com for a reasonable $40/Vin for 2 year access. This will allow you to program any module on the vehicle, based on the VIN you provide when using your subscription the first time. This also requires you create an account with AC Delco, which is free.

Third is an interface for programming. This can be an MDI 2 unit, or alternatively, a DrewTech Mongoose Pro 2 cable. I opted for the latter as it should get the job done, is less expensive and just as capable for any diagnostic or programming that needs to be done with the car. This interface is used with an internet connected computer, so a laptop with wifi would work great. The Tis2Web programming is done through a browser with Java.

Now from the research I've done, I read that it can be used plug and play- if you just do the swap, then it will likely function, but there will be error messages that are displayed every time you start the car (low/no wiper fluid, service awd, etc) that can be dismissed with the steering wheel controls. The mileage will also not display and will just be dashed lines instead. Once programmed with the correct VIN, these issues should go away and the cluster will function as intended.

So essentially the process would be to swap the cluster, login to Tis2Web, plug the car into the laptop. Type in VIN and select instrument cluster reprogram, choose the part number of the digital cluster you purchased (RPO option is UDV), follow prompts, and once completed, the system should be fully functional. There are videos on youtube of the programming procedure that may be able to shed a little more light on the specifics of it. I am hoping to do this within the next month or so. I had also read about the possibility of needing to "reconfigure" the cluster to the appropriate options of the receiving car so it unlearns the options from the donor car that your car may not have (adaptive cruise, awd etc), THEN reprogram with your VIN so the car thinks that it came with the digital cluster. I have not confirmed this yet so I would consider it speculation, but that would require purchasing another programming subscription for the donor car's VIN. Once I get the time and space to get it done, I will post a write up as there really are no good ones specifically outlining this procedure for the XTS.

·
Registered
XTS 2014 Luxury
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking to do this as well, in fact I already have everything I should need lined up, aside from the time off work and weather sufficient to actually do the swap. I've done some research into it, and I'm by no means an expert, but from what I understand there are a few basic things needed.

First obviously is the new digital cluster. I cannot confirm this, but it is my understanding that you should get a cluster out of the same model year as your car for the best chance of compatibility with programming. The plug is the same between the base and premium cluster, although the premium also has a usb connector for the HUD.

Second is a subscription to ACDelco Tis2Web for reprogramming the cluster. This can be purchased at ACDelcoTDS.com for a reasonable $40/Vin for 2 year access. This will allow you to program any module on the vehicle, based on the VIN you provide when using your subscription the first time. This also requires you create an account with AC Delco, which is free.

Third is an interface for programming. This can be an MDI 2 unit, or alternatively, a DrewTech Mongoose Pro 2 cable. I opted for the latter as it should get the job done, is less expensive and just as capable for any diagnostic or programming that needs to be done with the car. This interface is used with an internet connected computer, so a laptop with wifi would work great. The Tis2Web programming is done through a browser with Java.

Now from the research I've done, I read that it can be used plug and play- if you just do the swap, then it will likely function, but there will be error messages that are displayed every time you start the car (low/no wiper fluid, service awd, etc) that can be dismissed with the steering wheel controls. The mileage will also not display and will just be dashed lines instead. Once programmed with the correct VIN, these issues should go away and the cluster will function as intended.

So essentially the process would be to swap the cluster, login to Tis2Web, plug the car into the laptop. Type in VIN and select instrument cluster reprogram, choose the part number of the digital cluster you purchased (RPO option is UDV), follow prompts, and once completed, the system should be fully functional. There are videos on youtube of the programming procedure that may be able to shed a little more light on the specifics of it. I am hoping to do this within the next month or so. I had also read about the possibility of needing to "reconfigure" the cluster to the appropriate options of the receiving car so it unlearns the options from the donor car that your car may not have (adaptive cruise, awd etc), THEN reprogram with your VIN so the car thinks that it came with the digital cluster. I have not confirmed this yet so I would consider it speculation, but that would require purchasing another programming subscription for the donor car's VIN. Once I get the time and space to get it done, I will post a write up as there really are no good ones specifically outlining this procedure for the XTS.
Omg this helps a lot!!!! Is there any way I can get in contact with you to help me out if I run into and issues ??

·
Registered
2013 XTS Luxury
9 Posts
Diego, you can shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can to help out. This is pretty new territory for me, but I do have extensive experience working with cars in general as I did full service for over a decade on all makes and models from bodywork & interior to drivetrain and suspension. When I make the thread about the swap, I'll upload pics and the factory service manual pages outlining R&I and torque specs etc, looking objectively it seems pretty straightforward. The only thing I haven't done in relation to this swap is the reprogramming, but it has been done before so we know it can be done again; and as much as I've researched it seems I've got everything I need in line. I'm also looking into upgrading the HMI and radio receiver with the same method to upgrade CUE and unlock faster response time, factory nav and android auto. If this can be done by ordering the components and reprogramming them myself through the same method, this would make the job possible for less than half of the cost of the kits that are sold for this purpose.

Ktriebol, that may very well be the case, but I've always had to tinker with things and I won't be satisfied until I at least know I tried. And if it means helping other members do the same to improve their Caddies, then all the better. Thank you for the luck, I'm sure we'll need it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts