Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Deville Concours 4.6L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do my suspension and I'm trying to figure out which will give me a better ride. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Your '99 Concours has an active suspension (electronic)

the OEM replacements are pretty expensive
I can sell you the OEM parts for a bit more than you can buy the aftermarket (monroe) active replacements

the front struts have no air

the rear shocks have air leveling assist (ALC/ECL) - normal shocks with an air bladder to adjust the height
the air bladder is inflated/deflated based on how much weight is in the rear seats and trunk to keep the car level
this keeps your headlights aimed correctly and makes sure that the traction and stability control can still operate correctly

you can convert the vehicle to a base/d'elegance suspension (passive, non-electronic)
it's not super hard to do but you have to make sure you disclose the modification when you sell the vehicle as potential buyers might expect the elctronic suspension

there's tons of info on here about the conversion from active to passive and the part numbers for both

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
These cars do not have air suspension, they have coil springs front and rear, oil filled struts in front, and oil filled shocks in back. There is a rear load leveling system (ELC), that inflates air bladders that are integrated into the shocks, to maintain proper ride height. If you install non ELC compatible shocks, the rear will sag with any additional weight in the vehicle.

The term "gas shock", or "gas charged" has nothing to do with ride height. Shocks/struts are partially filled with oil, the rest is air. Over rougher surfaces, the air and oil can mix, decreasing the effectiveness of the shock/strut. Removing the air, and replacing it with a pressurized gas, reduces the chance of the oil getting aerated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally, when at least two people ride in the backseat the rear seems to bounce more. If it's travelling at normal doped limits and hits a bump the back end hits the ground. I'm not sure if the ECL is working properly, but there are no PCM codes.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
back end hits the ground literally?
or
the shocks bottom out?

----------

suspension codes are C codes (C for chassis)
the P codes are for powertrain issues ... engine, trans, emissions, etc
body/interior/hvac stuff are B codes

only the expensive scanners will get the other non-P codes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only happens when people are in the backseat. When it's just me or someone in the passenger seat the car rides fine. I might need to pull all the C codes first.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Use the sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes" section for your car, year, model. It's all built into your car. Write down all found codes and whether each is Current or History. Return to the sticky and open the link with "obd2" in the address. That takes you to a Master Index of all P,B,C, and U codes. Decipher all your codes and post it all here.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
I wonder if its already been converted or if the air bladders in the shocks are leaking or maybe someone already put gas (nonELC) shocks on it.

Some investigation seems to be warranted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts