Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6L ATS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 SLS and I have always wondered how big the gas tank is. It sure seems like my "Low fuel" alarm comes on quite early. It can go a long ways past that but it annoys me because it makes a friendly "ding" every few seconds. I've always thought it was 17 or 18 gallon but yesterday after really driving it a long ways past the "low fuel" alarm, I put more than 18 gallons in it. It made me wonder.....

1) Does this thing hold more than I thought?
2) Is this gas station screwing me and shaving points?
3) Was it really dry and fuel was filling in more than just the tank?

Let me know. I'm sure I could find this in my manual or something but why would I work when I have all these knowledgable minds here?

This also changes what I thought my gas mileage is. I don't trust my digital read-out.

What is a good to average gas mileage for the SLS's?
(I opperate 75% highway miles but they aren't always highway speeds)

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
For the same reasons you mention, it's much smarter to trust your computer. What could be more accurate than measuring fuel flow to mileage? There's no way to know if you have filled to the same level each time, expansion in the tank etc.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...

The tank holds 20 gallons and not a drop more!
The fuel pump is liquid cooled by the fuel in the tank...
and can overheat if the fuel level gets too low.

Anyway, this has been my experience.
Post back what you discover.

·
Registered
2013 3.6L ATS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
input....sorry I dont want to get insulted like that guy I saw before....lol

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
17.5 but im a kid so i give it a lil more throttle than i should and i commute in traffic

·
Registered
2013 3.6L ATS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
17 is real bad bro'. LoL. Is 24 a kid? I "NASCAR it" in the mornings at 6am on the way to school. I think I do better than that.

I've heard that the N* is most efficient at 70mph cruise control.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
17 isn't bad at all for in-town driving. I manage 19 in town now that I've had the car for almost a year and have eased up on the throttle most of the time. Still give it a good kick in the ass now and then though.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
detroit99sts said:
I get way better gas mileage at 55-60 mph. WAY BETTER!!!! 99sts
You can definitely get better mileage at lower speeds than 70. 70 doesn't qualify for that because the RPMs are higher and the wind resistance is greater. The best should theoretically be at a speed just slightly above the point that the transmission is in highest gear and the TC is locked. That's too slow for the highway, though. I haven't officially checked, but the mileage is very good at 45-50. If you're going to do that on the highway, stay the **** out of the passing lane or you'll have my SLS up your tailpipe! :burn:

·
Registered
242 Posts
dont get me wrong, i stay with traffic flow. but if its clear, i go about 60. Gives me about 4-6 mpg better than 70mph.

Ill race your sls anyday!!!!!!!bring it. lol!!:crybaby:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts